Plastic Thermoforming Equipment and Processing Expert
Technical Consultant #1908
- Over 42 years of experience with thermoplastic, thermoset and composite plastic materials, manufacturing processes and applications.
- Thermoforming equipment and manufactures representative for thermoforming equipment products.
- Thermoforming polyurethane and other plastic materials into large parts.
- Extensive automotive industry career background including major, industry plastic "firsts" i.e., one piece plastic instrument panel, forward lighting and body panels.
- Executive and managerial responsibilities in manufacturing (including start-up), marketing and sales.
- International management and sales and marketing experience including, Mexico, Japan, Korea and Europe.
- Focus on application "firsts," product development, market position and sales growth.
Undisclosed Company, President, 2009 - Present
Application Consulting and Plastic Industry Equipment Sales
- Manufacturer's Representative for MAAC Corporation and Linden Industries promoting thermoforming and polyurethane equipment.
- Developed new market sales in auto interior requiring innovative machine development.
- Establish thermoforming company presence at clients, determine equipment requirement, and secure new business.
Plastic Industry Consultant
- Primary focus: Two-piece bonded, polypropylene pressure vessel fabrication.
- Significant contribution in improving part design for performance and processing.
- Developed material standards, compounding guidelines and manufacturing process controls.
- Plastic and plastic material market intelligence.
Canon U.S.A., Manager, 2005 - 2009
Automotive Sales Manager for this thermoforming and polyurethane Equipment Manufacturer.
- New market penetration and company "first" for thermoformed automotive carpet application of three new machines with innovative designs.
- Developed new market and process for polyurethane encapsulated wire harness in off road vehicles.
- Secured new accounts.
KONAL, Director Sales and Marketing, 1999 - 2005
- Supervised and developed marketing for this thermoforming and polyurethane equipment manufacturer.
- Developed new market sales in automotive thermoformed headliners in U.S.A., Spain and Mexico.
- Expanded presence in polyurethane headliners.
- Secured new sale and application for "first" company WET headliner.
- Developed new sales in thermoformed and polyurethane interior door panels requiring innovations to existing machine process.
- Hired and managed a sales team.
Recticel U.S.A., General Manager, 1997 - 1999
- Responsible for all departments of this polyurethane compounding company.
- Identify and develop new markets to replace pending major sales losses.
- Repaired relations and credibility with all key accounts.
- Focused company resources to establish leadership in emerging spray skin market.
Dott Industries, 1991 - 1997
Vice President of Sales and Marketing, Molded and Decorated Plastic Components
- Formed a sales team by hiring direct personnel and contracting reps.
- Drove sales from $29 million to over $90 million.
- Formed joint venture in Mexico to establish presence and increase sales.
- Formed joint venture with Spanish lighting manufacturer to offer new products in U.S.A.
- Established new markets and applications.
- Increased capacity in all domestic plants.
Aero Manufacturing, 1990 - 1991
General Manager and Sales Manager, Manufacturer of RTM Composite Body Panels
- Startup company manufacturing Class A body panels for the transportation industry.
- Responsible for manufacturing process, product quality and sales.
- Secured two accounts critical to cash flow and market presence.
- Led development of unique process to produce quality acceptable to end user.
Magna Decoma, 1988 - 1990
Marketing Manager, Chrysler
- Sold first injection molded and primed plastic fender application for this manufacturer of decorated and structural plastics.
- Marketed and participated in development of SRIM pick-up box.
General Electric Company, 1970 - 1988
Chrysler Marketing Manager, Plastics Division
- Hired marketing team.
- Developed business plan.
- Developed working relationships with Key Tier 1's.
- Multiple plastic fender applications.
- Contributed to design of "Plastic Concept Car".
- Polycarbonate forward lighting and plastic glazing.
- Plastic body panels.
Business Manager, Lighting and Glazing
- Developed international awareness of plastic forward lighting and glazing by working with OEM's and Tier 1's and key lamp manufacturers.
- Worked with NHTSA to develop suitable performance requirements.
- Coordinated development of technology and manufacturing process for a viable product.
- Achieved multiple forward lighting application approvals U.S.A., Mexico, Korea and Japan.
- Developed business plan.
- Significantly grew sales volume.
Sales, Insulating Materials
- Sales Representative: Accounts Included, utilities, contractors and motor repair companies.
- Established GE presence in a neglected territory and grew sales.
Sales, Lamp Division
- Sales Representative for fused quartz products.
- Managed New England sales territory and warehouse.
- Annually increased sales in key markets: Lighting, semiconductor and optics.
Ultrapol SA de CV, Mexico City, Mexico
- First Marketing and Technology Manager of newly formed JV with IRSA de Mexico.
- Purpose of company was to develop a market and build thermoplastic compounding capabilities.
- Developed the business plan; hired and managed marketing and technology staff.
- Penetrated multiple new markets including, automotive, truck and bus, electronics and packaging.
General Motors, Market Development
- Translated instrument panel safety using GE engineered plastics to all GM divisions.
- Developed instrument panel specifications (ie, 1-piece, padded, lattice) on all key platforms.
- Achieved dramatic sales growth.
Chrysler, AMC, Market Development
- First one piece, all plastic engineered plastic instrument panel application.
Honors & Publications
Languages and Foreign Experience
- Conversational Spanish
- Lived and worked in Mexico and Spain
- Worked in Canada
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Society of Plastics Engineers
Publications and Patents
- SPE, Design and Application of Aliphatic polyurethane Spray Skins for Automotive
- ANTEC, Thermoplastic Forward Lighting
- SAE Mexico, Advances in Thermoforming for Automotive Applications.
- VDI Germany, Thermoplastics for Automotive Exterior Body Panels
- B.S. Comprehensive Science, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH