- Precision cleaning, critical cleaning and surface quality during manufacturing of complex products, including aerospace, medical devices, and other high-value product.
Industrial-Critical Cleaning, Contamination Control Processes, Cleaning Verification/Validation
- Optics; semi-conductors.
- Biomedical and clinical instrumentation and devices.
- Medical device manufacture.
- Additive manufacturing.
- Process verification and validation.
- Failure analysis.
- Surface preparation.
- Residue minimization.
- Controlled environments/cleanrooms.
- Standards/guidance document evaluation.
- Permitting issues.
- Regulatory evaluation (EPA, FDA, local/state).
- Bearings (miniature aerospace, automotive, seismic protection).
- Engineered and specialized coatings.
- Electronics assembly, microelectronics.
- Metal fabrication.
- Fossil recovery and surface conservation.
- Inertial navigation systems.
Market Research; Product Development
- Identify promising applications.
- Identify technical, economic, and competitive barriers to growth.
- Pilot tests.
- Beta site tests.
- Evaluate technical results.
- Provide tutorials, discussions for technical and marketing staff.
- Evaluate safety and environmental issues.
- Lean manufacturing.
- Supply chain validation and monitoring.
- Economical, sustainable process design.
- Medical device manufacturing.
- Cleaning validation for life sciences.
- Evaluating standards and guidance documents.
- Process validation and monitoring.
- Brainstorming, problem resolution.
Auditing, Training and Education
- Site visits, assessments and pre-audits.
- Process evaluation and assessment.
- Supply chain assessment and auditing.
- Competitive bid monitoring, high-value and high-cost processes.
- Pollution prevention, environmental, safety, and hazardous waste minimization.
- Research in environmental policy, worker safety, and regulatory issues.
- Impact on industry of conflicting environmental regulations.
- Energy impact of cleaning process options.
- Thermal spray emissions; chrome and nickel.
- Acetone in cleaning and coating applications.
- Solvent options, substitutes for ozone depleters, global warming; economic and environmental consequences including market penetration, provided to U.S. EPA.
- Performance and impact on Southern California industry of low-VOC wood coatings.
- Alternative options: United Nations Environmental Programme Solvents and Coatings Technical Options Committee Handbook.
- Cal/OSHA PEL policy, advisory activities.
- Advisory to Ozone Transport Commission.
Expert Witness Experience
- Department of Justice, controlled substance issues.
- National and international intellectual property; unique teachings and process patent.
- Performance and medical devices.
- Performance and impact of consumer product, civil litigation.
- Competitive issues in motion picture film processing and related applications.
- Historical scenario reconstruction, solvents in manufacturing activities.
- Floor coating design, green washing (civil litigation).
- Floor maintenance, trip and fall (OSHA).
- Coatings performance (civil litigation).
- Contamination issues, aerospace (Insurance).
Undisclosed, President, 1994 - Present
- A consulting and industry leader in precision, critical and industrial product cleaning firm.
- Independent consultant in process development and monitoring, validation, failure analysis, equipment and chemistry selection.
- Conduct site visits, audits, education and training programs.
Litton Guidance & Control Systems, Woodland Hills, CA, 1985 - 1994
Process and Materials Engineer
- Activities included: Corporate-wide solvent substitution/replacement of ozone layer depleting chemicals.
- Materials and processes engineering.
- Clean room auditing and monitoring.
- Failure analysis.
- Safety programs, auditing.
Manager (Heading the replacement of ozone layer depleting chemicals in all Litton Industry divisions)
- Developed and implemented pioneering precision cleaning and manufacturing processes for metals, complex composites, and optics.
- Many of these processes are used in industrial settings, nationally and internationally.
- Found alternatives for chemicals required in over 90% of processes, cutting multi-step processes by 30 - 50%.
- Sharply cut process development costs by an estimated 80% by setting up a resource-sharing program, encompassing all company divisions and by establishing an ad hoc consortium of vendors to perform high-precision cleaning studies.
- Provided technical research and support to local and national regulatory agencies.
- Efforts contributed to development of environmental policy including standards to safeguard the environment, improve worker protection, while fostering business productivity.
BioScience Laboratory, Van Nuys, CA, Clinical Chemist, 1975 - 1985
- As a researcher in clinical chemistry, designed and implemented clinically relevant and cost effective laboratory tests in such areas as toxicology, endocrinology, immunology, and fetal lung maturity.
- Standardized and automated tests among company sites, improving quality control, reducing labor operating costs, and decreasing processing time.
- Performed advanced clinical studies with physicians and the clinical chemistry community, designed informative and effective technical marketing literature.
- Regularly published and presented research findings.
Honors & Publications
- Member: ASTM specific group which is generating a number of testing standards and guidance documents dealing with the cleanliness of single use medical devices and re-usable devices.
- Member: Joint Solvent Substitution Working Group, a consortium of all branches of the military tasked with coordinating and expediting alternative cleaning processes.
- Active participant in IPC and SMTA: Speaker and Presenter.
- Appointed United States ISO Expert to ISO/TC 209 SG 12: Cleaning of surfaces to achieve defined levels of cleanliness in terms of particle and chemical classifications." Standard has been published.
- Program Chair and member of Board of Directors, Surface Finishers Educational Association.
- German, written, limited spoken
- French, written, limited spoken
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Institute for Interconnecting and Packaging Electronic Circuits - IPC
- Surface Mount Technology Association - SMTA
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers - ASTM
- National Association for Surfacing Finishing - NASF
- Joint Services Solvent Substitution Working Group - JS3
- Member of the Continuing Education and Outreach Faculty at the UCLA/UC Irvine Southern California Education and Research Center
- Surface Finishers Educational Association-SFEA
- Recipient of the U.S. EPA Stratospheric Ozone Protection Award for accomplishments in commercial and military process implementation and in regulatory policy research.
- Nominated for EPA "Best-of-the-Best" Award.
Publications and Patents
- Editor of and contributor: Handbooks, Author and Co-Author of articles, (Controlled Environments Magazine), Cleaning of Medical Devices, and hundreds of publications and presentations.
- M.S. Biochemistry, Rutgers University, Camden, NJ
- B.S. Biology, Bryn Mawr College, Bryn Mawr, PA