Food Ph.D. Chemical Expert in Regulatory, Allergens, FDA Regulations, and Food Packaging
Technical Consultant #1848
- Operations expert and senior level product development for research and development and quality control.
- Chocolate, fruit snacks, general confectionery products, cereals, pet foods, and high protein analog food products in the domestic and international food markets.
- Competitive product analysis focusing on flavor, color, texture, size, count, process, and wrap. Other product areas: Ingredient copy, claims, and nutrition facts.
- Retail audits: Product positioning, conducting shelf life evaluations, cost analysis, and turnover rates.
Expert Witness Experience
- Diacetyl chemical lawsuit against a confections company and the owning company. Testified on behalf of defendants: Many technical issues on formulation and use levels in flavor systems, exposure time and location of making flavor materials, employee time in work area and work area layout.
- Cherries pits - lawsuit against confections company on broken teeth because of cherry pits in chocolate covered cherries product. Reviewed HACCP (Hazard Analysis & Critical Control Points) procedures, implemented in department and provided training to employees.
- Chocolate covered peanuts - lawsuit against confections company on chipped and broken teeth because of hardened material found in peanut products.
- Starch crusting on products - was deposed by law firms regarding their client who purchased product that had material that appeared to be mold, it was determined that the substance was starch crust.
Undisclosed Company, Present
- Proprietor of a food, confectionery, and pharmaceutical consulting firm, specializing in product development, educational programs, food regulatory support, quality systems, allergens, co-source manufacturing, packaging, competitive analysis, innovation food safety and security audits.
Farleys & Sathers Confectionery & Brachs Confections,Inc., IL and TX, 1978 - 2011
- Served numerous positions for this manufacturer of fruit snacks, chocolate, and sugar confectionery products marketed through food, drug, and mass merchandisers.
Sr. Director and Vice President of Quality Assurance, Research and Development, 1991 - 2011
- Directed Research and Development, New Product Development, and Quality Management programs.
- Leader of the international new product development and quality management process for the corporation.
- Directed the development of numerous significant new products currently sold at retail or in test market, covering fruit snacks, chocolate, and sugar confectionery.
- Directed the start-up of co-manufacturing and processing lines along with the development of new products in Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Mexico, and Europe for a variety of internal brands.
- Organized the TQM/HACCP process corporate wide including specification development.
- Implemented SPC training and application for all key plant personnel.
- Directed start-up of continuous processing lines for panning, chocolate making, hard candy, and starch deposition.
- Assisted with new plant and process start-ups in Mexico.
- Directed the completion of significant formulation and process cost reductions. Implemented application of NLEA and official label copy for all stock keeping units.
- Developed in-house educational and instructional short courses for Sales, Marketing, plant personnel and technical support on confectionery technology.
Plant Manager and General Superintendent, 1983 - 1989
- Directed manufacturing operations at the Chicago and Melrose Park facilities.
- Full profit and loss responsibility for a $65 million budget and 1800 employees.
- Directed installation of continuous depositing cream lines, gummy lines, hard candy lines, caramel processing units, robotic palletizers, new data weighs, and a high speed kitchen and mogul for mellow cream and starch and gelatin operations.
- Directed methods changes at the main Chicago facility that resulted in a 20% increase in output and $6 million annual cost savings.
Night Superintendent, 1981 - 1983
- Directed second shift operations at the Chicago facility for 850 employees.
Research Manager, 1978 - 1981
- Directed product and process development work in support of marketing, sales, and manufacturing.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- National Science Foundation Fellowship and Instructor Assistantship, (NSF)
- American Academy of Clinical Toxicology, National Councilor and former Chicago Section President, (AACT)
- Past general referee Chocolate and Cocoa section of the Association of Official Analytical Chemists
- Technical Committee Chairperson of the National Confectioners Association
Publications and Patents
- Many Technical Publications.
- Two product and process patents and one patent pending.
- Ph.D. Organic Chemistry Loyola University, Chicago, IL
- B.A. Chemistry, Lewis University, Romeoville, IL