Life Sciences Finance and Valuation Expert
Technical Consultant #1839
- Life science professional with scientific research experience and financial expertise.
- Biotech and business development, deal making, commercialization of highly specialized products, strategy, analysis and client interface.
- Due diligence
- Stem cells
- Financial modeling
- Financial analysis
- Technology transfer
- Market penetration
- Cancer cell biology
Undisclosed Company, Associate Director, 2010 - Present
- Provide financial advisory services to clients looking to grow their business or optimize their capital structure by advising on mergers and acquisitions as well as going public transactions (IPO, RTO) or by raising debt or equity in the capital markets.
- Responsible for managing client relationships, preparing marketing materials, financial modeling and analysis and managing transaction execution.
- Advise and execute mergers and acquisitions transactions across several industries.
- Lead and oversee the building of financial and valuation models for leveraged recapitalizations, mergers and acquisitions, capital raises and corporate restructuring.
- Draft and review information memoranda, management presentations, marketing materials, and financial analyses.
- Lead in preparation for new business mandates, including valuation, company positioning and fee proposals.
MBCG - McGill Business Consulting Group, Montreal, QC, Partner and Consultant, 2009 - 2010
- Start-up partnership providing management consulting services to Montreal businesses.
- Developed business solutions in the areas of finance, strategy and marketing to Montreal businesses, ranging in size from start-ups to multinational corporations.
- Developed a business plan and financial model for a start-up medical tourism practice, positioning the start-up for buyout by U.S. firm (within 16 months of launch).
- Created a financial model and marketing plan for a stagnating healthcare practice.
- Developed a market penetration and detailed financial model for an international marine cargo handling company looking to expand into a new area.
- Personally secured 65% of mandate proposals (over 48% of total revenue).
BroadReach BioSystems Inc., Vancouver, BC, Associate / Consultant Scientist, 2007 - 2009
- A company that specializes in the commercialization of stem and progenitor cell products and services (including research products and cell therapy), as well as marketing and business development for a variety of life sciences organizations.
- Provided business development, technology transfer and marketing expertise to various worldwide life sciences organizations, with a focus on clients in stem cells, oncology and hematology.
- Developed market penetration and business development strategies for clients.
StemCell Technologies Inc., Vancouver, BC, Scientist, Research and Development, 2004 - 2007
- Lead Scientist commercializing (novel) serum-free media for human embryonic stem cell culture, with significant business development responsibilities.
- Commercialized and launched new media product on time and under budget (12 month development; $240 thousand budget).
- Led media co-development project in collaboration with Becton-Dickinson (BD).
- Managed $525 thousand grant to investigators in the Canadian Stem Cell Network for technology commercialization.
- Business development role: Technology review, IP assessment, site visits, early-stage negotiations, contract review.
- Developed 12 new products for maintenance and differentiation of embryonic stem cells.
Honors & Publications
- NSERC Industrial Research and Development Fellowship
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) Doctoral Research Award
- Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research Doctoral Research Award
- PhD Thesis Area: In Vitro and In Vivo Modeling of Childhood Sarcoma
- Thesis Area: Chemotherapy Resistance in Childhood and Adult Leukemia
Publications and Patents
- Co-author, Textbook: Introduction to Stem Cell Science.
- 11 peer-reviewed publications; Presented more than 70 Abstracts.
- M.B.A. Finance, Strategy, McGill University, Quebec, Canada
- Ph.D. Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
- M.Sc. Drug Resistance in Leukemia,, Dalhousie University, Halifax N.S., Canada
- B.Sc. Biology, (With Honors), Saint Mary's University, Halifax N.S., Canada