Polymers and Fibers Processing Equipment Design and Fabrication Expert
Technical Consultant #1837
- Machine design and fabrication for the production of synthetic textile fibers, plastics and elastomers.
- Extensive project management for design and installation of capital equipment totaling over $375 million.
- Material scrap reduction.
- Polymeric material recyclers design.
- Recycling post-consumer carpet.
- Large scale production of low cost carbon fibers and polymer extruders.
- Project development and project engineering for complex machinery.
Independent Consultant, 2010 - Present
- Freelance consultant advising various polymeric material recyclers.
Universal Fibers, Mechanical Engineering Consultant, 2006 - 2010
- Developed programs and led a team of engineers to reduce scrap rate from 6% to 3%.
- Reduced plant compressed air consumption.
- Provided guidance for future expansion in China. Developed processes and equipment for recycling post-consumer carpet.
- Redesigned polymer extrusion equipment to eliminate polymer degradation.
- Designed new filter packs and spinbeams. Total savings exceeding $3,500,000.
Tennessee Design Company, Senior Consulting Engineer, 2002 - 2006
- Used synthetic fibers production expertise to help leading fiber and fabric producers specify new equipment and solve production problems with existing equipment.
- Customers included Milliken, O'Mara/Filtex, Hooper and Kolon (Korea).
RTS-Wright Industries, Inc., Senior Process Engineer, 1995 - 2002
- Provided project development and project engineering for a complex machine to form sunglass lenses. Saved customer $575,000 using modular design techniques and outsourcing of complex sub-assemblies.
- Project engineering for a machine to produce industrial nylon fiber.
- Developed machines to produce BCF carpet fibers, staple fibers and co-spun fibers. Reduced unit cost of these machines by $300,000 to $1,000,000 using commercially available components and offshore outsourcing.
- Designed and built a machine for the large scale production of low cost carbon fibers. Saved the customer over $2,000,000 by resolving equipment size issues and specifying alternate sources of supply.
- Trained RTS-Wright Industries' employees in fibers technology and fundamental machine design engineering.
- Provided consulting services on textile fibers and process technology to other groups at RTS-Wright.
- Customers included Dupont, Honeywell, Kimberley-Clark, Polaroid, Solutia, Conoco, Hills, Inc. and Reemay.
E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Co., Inc.,
Project Engineer, 1974 - 1995
- Designed and installed machines for the production of polyester, nylon and aramid fibers. Pioneered new design techniques such as GDT, CAD and modularization of sub-assemblies.
- Designed and installed equipment for the production of continuous cast acrylic sheet. Utilized novel construction methods and special equipment to shorten equipment installation downtime and save $8,000,000 in production.
- Designed and installed equipment for the production of synthetic rubber. Saved $3,000,000 using lump sum contracts for design and demolition tasks.
Process Development Engineer, 1962 - 1974
- Developed new processes for nylon and polyester carpet yarn, weaving yarns and bulked textile yarns.
- Provided increased production worth $74,000,000 per year and cost reductions worth $5,000,000 per year.
- Pioneered use of designed experiments for solving process problems.
Honors & Publications
- Dupont Corporate Environmental Award
Publications and Patents
- Authored and presented papers on the design of synthetic fibers extrusion equipment at the American Textile Machinery Exhibition and at Clemson University Melt Spinning seminar series.
- U.S. Patent - Process for recycling post - consumer carpet fiber
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, University of Mississippi, University, MS