- Intellectual property portfolio analysis and patent brokerage for software patents in diverse and wide range of functional areas including: enterprise software applications, cloud computing, storage, security, network systems management, Internet software, web applications and technologies, social networking, search, ecommerce, database and mobile applications.
- Consolidation of multiple product databases into a single integrated databases supporting multiple relational databases (including Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, and IBM DB2); selecting data access technologies including SQL, XML, Web Services, Object Relational support for Java, PHP, Perl and C+ + programming, creation of database schema and standards.
- Software design and development of multi-platform (Mainframe, Unix, Windows, Linux and AS400) enterprise software applications for manufacturers, logistics, warehouse management, financial management and banking institutions; including features for reporting and business intelligence, ecommerce, and self-service web applications.
- Software developer of large scale multi user document processing, output management, reporting and software development platforms.
Independent Consultant, Present
Undisclosed Company, Software Technology Specialist, 2006 - Present
- Identify high value patents that can be sold or licensed; focus on software patents in areas such as; enterprise software, security, storage, information management and databases, social networking, search and advertising, e-commerce, and mobile software.
- Perform technical portfolio analysis and due diligence for patents owned by large high technology and software companies, projects include identification of strongest patents with highest likely value by ranking and rating patents based on criteria such as strength, discoverability, adherence to standards and usage.
- Create materials demonstrate evidence of use of patents through reverse engineering and construction of claim charts.
- Determine market relevance by creating product and technology taxonomies, and mapping patents to taxonomy categories.
- Brokerage of patent portfolios including soliciting business from patent owners and inventors; creating marketing packages and technical charts, marketing to buyers, sales negotiations and closing deals.
- Perform patent database searching to identify patents in specific functional areas to identify multiple potential licensing and brokering opportunities.
Computer Associates International, Inc., Princeton, NJ, 1983 - 2006
Senior Architect, Office of the CTO, 2002 - 2006
- Managed a centralized data architecture team in the creation of an integrated data model as the resultant database schema including required installation and un-installation procedures.
- Evangelized the use of the integrated database, and adherence to the database design standards within the CA Software Engineering organization (multiple products and business units).
- Organized and supported a cross business unit project team that included key senior-level software development and product management staff to help drive the adoption of the common database and common database technologies such as those for Java Data Persistence and Object Relational Technologies (ORM) technologies such as JBoss Hibernate.
- Defined the architecture and components of the Java technology stack used by all software engineering organizations in the creation of IT management products in areas such as network systems management, service management, operations management, incident and problem management; this included specifying the technology stack components/releases, procedures for requesting changes, tracking usage and providing web based download platform.
- Selected open source software products for areas such as web application servers (Jboss, Apache, Tomcat), Web Services and SOAP (Axis), XML access and other commonly used and required software.
- Team member of the CTO Technical Architecture Counsel that included Computer Associates CTO and the EVP products tasked with providing guidance on the strategic vision, technical architecture and standards for use.
Vice President, Research and Development, 1996 - 2002
- Responsible for software engineering for all of the company's commercial Enterprise Resource Management products (ERP) for manufacturing, warehouse management, banking and financial management - this included five manufacturing and one warehouse management products.
- Led software engineering professionals performing functional and technical design, programming, technical writing, quality assurance and release engineering functions.
- Developed features for Business-to-Business (B2B) and Business-to-Consumer (B2C) e-commerce, banking performance management, and Human Resource (HR) employee self service.
- Provided vision for a new predictive business intelligence and object-oriented data integration products.
- Integrated technologically disparate software organizations to operate as a single productive software organization.
- Helped to re-gain customer credibility and market share by; delivering major product releases in a three-year time period on schedule. Feature highlights included support for Year 2000, Euro and multi-currency.
- Increased business unit revenue by 20% delivering an initial Windows NT (windows server) manufacturing (ERP) business application release by porting a Linux based application.
Software Developer, Development Lead, Development Manager, 1983 - 1996
- Created Graphical User Interface (GUI) Windows software products to move data between mainframe and Windows platform using services of mainframe reporting products to access and select data.
- Led software team adding features for new releases of reporting and business intelligence software product; features included support for Boolean search criteria, a new interactive query tool and support for additional large scale relational databases.
- Created an online document viewing software product that enabled companies customers to view product user guides online from mainframe viewing systems.
- Developed enhancements to a multi user mainframe based programmer development application, development tool; programming was in assembly language and requires understanding and use of system level
- Computer Associates International, Inc., Development Manager, 1992 - 1996
- Computer Associates International, Inc., Development Lead, 1988 - 1992
- Applied Data Research, Programmer, 1983 - 1988
- Merrill, Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith, Inc., Advisory Programmer, 1980 - 1983
Honors & Publications
Publications and Patents
- Author of articles published in Inventors Digest
- 1 U.S. System and method for accessing document data via a web service
- M.S. Computer Science, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ
- B.S. Computer Science, Pace University, Pleasantville, NY