- 29 years of qualifying experience in the fields of safety and health management, Industrial Hygiene (IH), Process Safety Management (PSM), industrial and construction safety.
- Oversight for all aspects of safety consulting services in various industries.
- Relationships with an array of commercial and government clients in the U.S. and internationally.
- Consultant and trainer for cell tower fall protection and rescue techniques, evaluation and development of safety requirements to address domestic and international cell tower safety requirements.
- Updating and republishing the corporate Safety and Health Program Manual and the Field Safety Handbook related to communication towers.
- Relationship with large communications clients as an OSHA liaison, trainer and consultant for cell tower fall protection and rescue techniques, and the evaluation and development of safety requirements.
- Development, presentation and training for: Crane operator and rigger, crane/rigging audit, overhead cranes, bridge cranes, underhung hoists, job hazard analysis, and lockout tagout.
- Inspections: On site, plant and OSHA complaint and citation inspections.
- Expert process safety management.
- Composition and republishing Equipment, and Maintenance Manuals.
- Primary instructor for several occupational safety and health courses at the University of Tennessee since 1990.
Expert Witness Experience
- Expert Witness testimony related to OSHA regulations, citations and settlements.
- Expert witness for clients and corporations in regulatory liaison during settlement of OSHA citations.
- Provides research, deposition and testimony regarding suspect occupational health claims and workplace accidents.
- Provides knowledge of OSHA standards and applicable OSHA directives, interpretations, and the relevance of the Field Operations Manual in determining compliance requirements for legal hearings.
Undisclosed Company, Vice President, Health & Safety Services
- Delivers oversight for all aspects of firm's consulting, safety program development, hazard evaluations and auditing.
Tennessee Valley Authority, Southeast U.S.
- Principal in charge of a contract for providing comprehensive IH services for Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) and its contracting partners.
- Providing comprehensive Industrial Health, (IH) services for TVA facilities and outage work at all TVA fossil, nuclear, and hydro power generating facilities, as well as the many TVA support facilities.
- Services provided include industrial hygiene, industrial safety, construction safety, training, and PSM.
SBA Communications, Worldwide, Manager: Client and Project
- Served this owner and operator of wireless communications towers providing comprehensive safety, industrial hygiene, and training services.
- Led the updating and republishing effort of both the corporate Safety and Health Program Manual and the Field Safety Handbook.
- Worked closely with SBA Communications in the capacity of an OSHA liaison, consultant and trainer for cell tower fall protection and rescue techniques.
- Consulting on the evaluation and development of safety requirements to address international cell tower safety requirements in Canada and Costa Rica.
Owens Corning, Worldwide
- Principal in charge and Client Manager for providing comprehensive health and safety services for Owens Corning on this multi-year, global contract.
- Routine and non-routine, qualitative and quantitative industrial hygiene surveys, machine guarding assessments, ergonomics surveys, process safety management support, construction safety training, and other strategic safety management support.
- International projects include; Russia, France, and Italy to execute construction safety auditing support and train-the-trainer programs.
- Developing hands-on skills on the topics of confined space, fall protection, machine guarding, and lift trucks.
- Redesign of the Owens Corning qualitative and quantitative IH sampling process and documentation.
Grace Davison, Baltimore, MD
- Principal in charge and Client Manager providing comprehensive health and safety services for Grace Davison at the Curtis Bay manufacturing complex, Technical Center, and the Columbia headquarters facilities.
- Comprehensive industrial hygiene support (IH gap assessment, qualitative/quantitative IH sampling, ventilation surveys, ergonomics surveys, written IH program development), process safety management support, OSHA VPP support, HazMat and confined space rescue training, machine guarding assessments, written safety program/procedure development, and safety inspection/compliance auditing.
- Assists the Technical Center to be one of the first 10 industrial facilities in Maryland, and only the second Grace facility to receive the OSHA VPP STAR certification.
Knoxville Utilities Board (KUB), Knoxville, TN
- Project Manager to provide comprehensive health and safety services, including:
- Lockout Tagout Program and Energy Control Procedure development, auditing, and training;
- Fall protection audits and development of a fall protection solutions guide;
- Confined space hazard assessments, inspections, program development, and training;
- Excavation competent person training;
- NFPA 70E Electric Arc Flash consultation and training; and
- Presentation of HAZWOPER 8-Hour refresher training.
DTR Automotive Systems, Midway and Tazewell, TN, (Plant Sites), Manager Client and Project
- Assist DTR with pursuit of the TOSHA Voluntary Protection Program (VPP) STAR certification.
- Performed initial TOSHA VPP STAR gap analysis and audits at plants, development of written safety programs/procedures, initiation of a comprehensive safety inspection and auditing process.
- Training of STAR Teams and developing action plans to assist the facility with closing the gaps to becoming a TOSHA STAR facility application and development of a post STAR sustainability plan.
BAE Systems, Worldwide, Principle
- Conduct worldwide machine-guarding compliance risk assessments at 22 US facilities and 16 international facilities and Process Hazard Identification Risk Assessments (HIRAs) at 18 US facilities.
- Project included the development of customized evaluation processes and documentation to assess each machine, assign a risk ranking to it, develop recommendations for machine guarding, and provide documentation including a photograph of the machine, assessments results, and recommendations, as well as a tracking system for the client to measure their progress toward implementation of recommendations.
- Development of corporate solutions guides and procedures for machine guarding and fall protection, and the development of a corporate safety tracker to track the leading indicators of safety performance at facilities worldwide.
PPG Products, Barberton, OH, Manager: Client and Project
- Assisting PPG-Barberton with pursuit of the OSHA Voluntary Protection Program (VPP) STAR certification.
- Initial OSHA VPP STAR gap analysis, development of written safety programs/procedures, initiation of a comprehensive safety inspection and auditing process, training of STAR Teams, developing action plans to assist the facility with closing the gaps to becoming an OSHA STAR facility, preparation of the VPP STAR application and development of a post STAR sustainability plan.
- This became the first PPG facility in the U.S. to receive the OSHA VPP STAR certification.
John Deere Corporation, Greeneville, TN, Project Manager
- Assisted this plant with pursuit of the OSHA VPP STAR certification resulting in the first John Deere facility in the U.S. to receive the OSHA VPP STAR certification.
- Work consisted of auditing, program development, and training of managers and employees on many OSHA VPP-required topics.
Honors & Publications
Credentials & Certifications
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Comprehensive Practice, Board of Certified Safety Professionals
- Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), Comprehensive Practice, American Board of Industrial Hygiene
- Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM), Senior Level,Institute of Hazardous Materials
- 40-hour OSHA HAZWOPER and HazMat Responder Instructor
- Certified Instructor for Confined Space, High Angle Rope Rescue, and Tower Rescue
- Certified Rigger
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE)
- Institution of Hazardous Material Management (IHMM)
- Activity Hazard Analysis, (AIHA) Confined Spaces Committee
- M.P.H. Public Health/Industrial Hygiene, University of Tennessee, TN
- B.S. Industrial Risk Management/Fire Science, Eastern Kentucky University, KY