Chemical Water Treatment Expert: Cationic, Anionic and Non-Ionic Emulsion Polymers
Technical Consultant #1756
- Leading and directing multi-million dollar chemical engineering operations including pilot plant implementation and supervision, technology development, capital project management, technical improvements and implementing innovative, cost-effective solutions.
- More than 25 years of progressive experience within diverse domestic and international environments.
- Pilot plant and manufacturing production operations for emulsion polymers.
- Creating catalysts, designing, procuring and installing reactors and producing a multitude of other engineering advancements to maximize profit.
- Nickel, alumina and vanadium pentoxide catalysts.
- Process to manufacture fatty nitriles from fatty acids by vapor-phase catalytic reaction.
- Process development for fatty amines and fatty amine derivatives (ethoxylated, propoxylated fatty amines, quaternary ammonium salts, etc.).
- Process development for water treatment chemicals (cationic, anionic and non-ionic emulsion polymers).
- Plant start-up and commissioning.
Independent Consultant, Present
Nalco Company, Chicago, IL, 1990 - 2009
- Served several positions: Chemical Engineer and Research Scientist, Staff Scientist, Research/Chemical Engineer.
- Managed and led chemical engineering project operations, including development of reactors and catalysts, as well as construction, design and final implementation of inventions.
- Managed and led global and domestic pilot plant scale-up projects and orchestrated development of new products in the pilot plant.
- Concurrently filled role as a global troubleshooter for process re-engineering initiatives and conducting cost restraint and feasibility analysis of changes, as well as to identify cost savings in production through efficiency, price point, longevity, etc.
- Directed the requirements, design, initial costing and evaluation of new equipment for pilot plant; compiled detailed requirements in production optimization, raw material requirements, and batch times.
- Managed full cycle product development and commercial application testing.
Key Projects and Accomplishments:
- Managed process engineering and development initiatives as well as production.
- Plant start-ups at global and domestic plants: Latin America, Mexico, Brazil, Canada, Germany, Italy, Spain, China, Australia, South Korea and India.
- Spearheaded scale-up and development of multiple new products with a main focus in anionic, cationic and non-ionic emulsion polymers; additional products included: Water Continuous polymers and Solution polymers.
- Product applications: mining and minerals, municipal, paper services, textiles, chemical processing, food and beverage and hotels and resorts.
- Led design and implementation of numerous lean, process and production improvement initiatives globally delivering consistent success; filled SME (Subject Matter Expert) role for resolving process/production issues worldwide in emulsion polymers.
- Managed planning, design, procurement and installation of polymer reactor in plant.
- Organizational improvements, including resolving a product specification issue with a vendor supplied raw material yielding multi-million dollar cost savings.
Akzo Chemicals, The McCook Research Center, McCook, IL, 1977 - 1990
- Serving positions: Pilot Plant Supervisor and Research Engineer (Process Development Department).
- As a Pilot Plant Supervisor and while serving in a technical and project leadership role responsible for the oversight of a multi-functional team of research engineers and coordinating the transfer of technology from laboratory and pilot plant to manufacturing, toll processing and central engineering department.
- Led initial project planning including idea generation, cost analysis, strategy creation, parameter definition, development and implementation.
- Identified and established cost effective processes for project completion.
- Ensured plant compliance with EPA and OSHA regulations partnering with environmental and regulatory groups.
- Partnered with corporate Worldwide Marketing and Manufacturing business units to gather data and develop new products in plant.
Key Projects and Accomplishments:
- Spearheaded the design, procurement and installation of a high-pressure, 500-gallon reactor in pilot plant.
- Controlled project management process from conception to commercial implementation to achieve efficient and competitive production.
- Gathered and analyzed scale-up data for multiple processes, involving ethoxylation, propoxylation, quaternization, ammonolysis, chlorination and a high-pressure catalytic hydrogenation (batch process: 100 pounds to 4,000 pounds; continuous process: 100 pounds/hour to 1,000 pounds/hour).
- Project manager for scale-ups: prepared flow diagrams, equipment layouts, site plans, elevation drawings and equipment, piping and instrumentation specifications.
- Compiled process design manuals consisting of operating procedures, environmental controls, process descriptions and start up and safety procedures.
- Coordinated with engineering firms and manufacturing to create cost estimates.
- Prepared appropriation requests and design and procurement packages.
Dearborn Chemical Co., (Division of Chemed Corp.), Lake Zurich, IL, 1974 - 1976
- Chemical Engineer for a pilot plant and existing plant that Manufacturers water treatment chemicals.
- Developed phosphonates for boiler water treatment.
- Improved plant procedures and decreased product costs, while increasing plant capacity for water treatment chemicals.
Indopharma Parmaceutical Workshop PVT ltd., Munbai, India, 1970 - 1972
- Chemical Engineer for the Research Laboratory.
- Conducted lab experiments to gather scale-up data supporting manufacturing of pharmaceutical fine Chemicals: nitrofurazone, nitrofurantion, furazolidone, methaqualone hydrochloride and base, phenacetin, paracetamol, p-Anisdine, phenyl butazone, aminophylline and theophylline.
Catalyst India, Ltd., Mumbai, India, Chemical Engineer, 1969 - 1970
- Turnkey plant of Monsanto-USA to manufacture vanadium pentoxide catalyst for sulfuric acid plants.
- Responsible for: Production, Quality Control Laboratory, Process Development Group, and Customer Service Group.
Honors & Publications
- Licensure: Registered Professional Engineer
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Oil Chemists Society, New Orleans, LA
- Member, American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- "Nalco Chairman's Award" and "Suez Award." Additional individual and team recognition awards for various organizational improvements, including resolving a product specification issue with a vendor supplied raw material yielding multi-million dollar cost savings.
- "Removal of 1,4-dixane From Fatty Chemicals." Annual Meeting of Journal of American Oil Chemists Society
- MBA Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL
- M.S. Chemical Engineering, University of Bombay, Bombay, India
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, University of Bombay, Bombay, India