- Pharmaceutical water system design, equipment, pharmaceutical water standards, P&ID, facilities construction and validation.
- Process engineering expert with a focus on water treatment facilities, process utilities, sustainable fuels, petrochemicals and biomass to energy.
- Analysis of construction contracts, engineering claims and engineering standard of care issues for process design and construction.
- Twenty years of experience in membrane filtration with a focus on pharmaceutical and biotechnology waters, water for injections and purified water systems.
- Design and construction expertise for biodiesel and alternative fuel plants.
- Construction schedule analysis, estimating analysis and claims evaluation.
- Skilled at evaluating process issues and root cause analysis.
Independent Consultant and Attorney, Principal, 2003 - Present
- Water treatment consultant to clients: NIH, Johns Hopkins University, Merck, Bristol Myers Squibb and Genentech.
- Developed a mechanical and energy efficiency model for HVAC air handler cooling efficiency to help Building Managers and Engineers improve operations and obtain LEED points for Building Certification.
- Worked within government research facilities, biotechnology companies, pharmaceutical manufacturers to troubleshoot existing facility operations, typically the water treatment systems then proposed and implemented solutions for the Client.
- Performed multiple municipal water system operation evaluations on both traditional and membrane based technologies. Client concerns included water quality, mechanical failures and operational issues. The total installed costs of the projects were over $125,000,000 with claims of almost $20,000,000. The work scope included detailed process evaluation, construction schedule analysis and mechanical failure analysis. Wrote experts reports submitted to Legal Counsel and Arbitrators for evaluation.
- Supported the Owner of a major chemical plant to evaluate the recovery efforts from a major fire with justification to the Insurer for reimbursement of costs.
- Work included evaluation of mechanical, piping, insulation and instrumentation damage with a summary report submitted to the Arbitrators.
- Called in on an emergency basis to supply construction, engineering and compliance expertise to a biodiesel project in Oklahoma.
- Obtained certificates of occupancy, final design drawings and started the plant up in 5 months.
- Work included running the local engineering effort for permit finalization, meeting and developing necessary information for state and local officials including the Building Inspector and Fire Marshall.
- Lead the process development and documentation effort, safety evaluation program, OSHA Manual Development and provided field process support.
- Supported the preliminary process design, site development, estimating and cash flow projections for a $125,000,000 ethanol plant with biomass electricity generation. Made presentations to local government officials.
- Worked with the State of New Jersey to evaluate school construction quality, contractor performance, punch list compilation and claims analysis.
- Reviewed contracts and subcontracts, building inspections, meeting with local school board officials and school management, evaluating certain punch list items and negotiating with contractors and engineers for final resolution of items.
- Evaluated the operations and sales efforts of a 20 year old family owned service business that had stagnated. Streamlined the service planning, evaluated the sales and marketing efforts and doubled sales from $2.2 million to $4.5 million in 18 months.
- Work included evaluating project and service execution procedures, highlighting bottlenecks and developing programs to eliminate constrictions.
- Provided direct project development support for an alternative fuels project in Pennsylvania including developing the design, real estate plans and meeting with local government officials.
- Wrote the business plan, developed pro-forma financials and established the corporate structure for two e-commerce companies. One of the companies became the basis for an e-bay service franchise. The second included contract biological manufacturer, cryogenic storage company and a contract clinical studies laboratory, RFID.
- Managed the negotiation and closing of sale of a $15 million dollar acquisition. Work included due diligence, document preparation, Board of Director resolutions and final escrow release.
- Worked with a major developer in Southern New Jersey for land acquisition and subdivisions of $20 million per year.
M2 Innovative Solution, Inc. Montgomeryville, PA, President/CEO, 1997 - 2003
- Successfully operated and grew a small specialty pharmaceutical water company. Installed by investors to package the company for sale to acquiring company.
- Created a strong growth organization which expanded from $750,000 to over $10 million in 6 years.
- Negotiated and supervised the sale of the business to a NYSE listed company.
- Established sales and manufacturer's representative network for company expansion.
Clean Utilities Group, Fluor Daniel, Marlton, NJ, Director of Technology, 1992 - 1995
- Headed up engineering group specializing in purified water and other clean utilities for the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries.
- Spearheaded 18 projects, developing successful proposals and managing client relations with corporate executives and engineers.
- Implemented ISO-9001 quality control as an ISO-9000 auditor.
- Interfaced with the FDA on behalf of clients, circumventing regulations issues.
- Lectured the circuit and wrote articles for journals.
- Authored business plan for startup of the Clean Utilities Group.
- Negotiated contracts with ten major corporations valued at over $50 million in two years.
TKLP, Philadelphia, PA, Senior Project Engineer, 1989 - 1992
- Supervised project engineering and design of utilities for pharmaceutical campus facilities in a 500 employee architectural/engineering partnership.
- Led teams of engineers, designers, and draftsmen in process, plumbing, high purity water, and clean utility system designs used in pharmaceutical manufacturing and research.
- Reviewed and implemented project quality plans achieving highest rating possible.
- Developed Master Facilities Plan for $120 Million U.K. research campus.
Merck Sharpe and Dohme, West Point, PA, Specifications Engineer, 1988 - 1989
- Contract Engineer to the largest U.S. pharmaceutical firm to reconcile existing specifications with new corporate standards.
- Developed approval framework, improving review and compliance with specifications.
Honors & Publications
- Professional Engineer: Certified Chemical Engineer, Delaware
- Pennsylvania Bar, Licensed Attorney
- New Jersey Bar, Licensed Attorney
- International Society of Pharmaceutical Engineers
- American Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Institute of Management Consultants
Publications and Patents
- Author of peer reviewed journals, periodicals, symposiums, conferences, and presentations.
- J.D. Business, Real Estate and Construction, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA
- MBA Finance and Operations, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
- M.S. Chemical Engineering Core Courses, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA