Design of high frequency DC-DC switch mode converters, high power/voltage linear power supplies, and circuit synthesis. Experienced in Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF), and Failure Mode Effects Analysis, PCAD schematic entry/PCB layout, surface mount technology high density design, prototype test/measurement/evaluation, and failure mode analysis.
- Low and medium power switch mode power supply design.
- High frequency magnetics design.
- Linear power supply design.
- High voltage power supply design.
- Analog circuit design.
- Printed circuit board layout design.
- Surface mount technology design.
- SPICE circuit modeling and simulation.
- Design with MathCad.
- Production documentation.
- Prototype testing.
- Troubleshooting and failure mode analysis.
- Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC).
- Design for reliability.
- Mean time between failure.
- Military standard design and testing.
- Specification reading and writing.
- Technical report writing.
- Mentoring for reliable design practice.
- Tools: MathCad, Microsoft Office, Access database, Excel, Word, Onenote and Outlook.
Undisclosed Company, Consultant, Present
- Designed 50VDC/95kVDC topology and magnetics, Tamb = 160C.
- Designed wide band 50VDC/2500Vpk pulse generator topology and magnetics, Tamb = 160C.
- Designed 50VDC/2.5Vrms filament supply topology and magnetics, Tamb = 160C.
Ensign Power Systems, Loveland, CO, Senior Power Supply Design Engineer, 2008 - 2009
- Designed and tested military grade rack mount multi-output switching and linear power supplies used in surveillance and space object tracking radar systems.
- Improved reliability and Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) of military aircraft power supplies.
- Performed environmental and EMI testing per Mil-Std-461A, and DO-160 for aircraft systems.
Foundation R&D, Inc., York, SC, Senior Power Supply Design Engineer, 2004 - 2008
- Designed and tested a series of 24VDC to variable 1-12kVDC constant current charge / constant voltage maintain switching high voltage capacitor chargers for underground cable fault detection.
Walden University, Minneapolis, MN, Post Graduate Student, 2002 - 2006
- Completed post graduate study focusing on power electronics.
- Also completed courses in electronic packaging, feedback control theory, electronic filter design, motor drives, accounting, and entrepreneurship.
Advanced Energy Industries, Fort Collins, CO, Design Engineer, 2000 - 2001
- Developed technology for pulsed output resonant power supplies.
Calex Manufacturing, Concord, CA, Design Engineer, 1996 - 2000
- Designed and tested DC/DC converter family with wide input/temperature range, single output, 15 watt, in a 1"x2" package.
- Designed and tested 5-output converter with wide input/temperature range, 70 watt output in a 3"x4" footprint meeting European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) standard for electromagnetic compatibility (EMC).
- Designed and tested quasi-resonant zero voltage switching converter.
ETM Electromatic, Inc., Newark, CA, Design Engineer, 1989 - 1996
- Designed and tested 1.3 Megawatt peak, 16 kilowatt average, microwave high power and high voltage amplifier for space vehicle and object tracking.
- Designed and tested L-Band, 50 kW peak high power and high voltage amplifier spanning 0.7 to 2.2 GHz for support of airborne and space vehicle operations.
- Designed and tested S-Band, 50 kW peak high power and high voltage amplifier for support of mobile threat simulation.
- Designed and tested a high voltage test system for traveling wave tubes operating in the millimeter wavelength bands.
United States Navy, various locations, Naval Officer, 1984 - 1989
- Guided ship's movement on international and inland waterways.
- Led the Underway Replenishment Division aboard ship.
- Led training of the ship's crew in firefighting and flood control skills.
- Led the Hull Technician Division aboard ship.
- Completed the Damage Control School at Newport, RI.
- Completed the Shipboard Engineering Officer's School at San Diego, CA.
- Completed the Surface Warfare Officer's School at San Diego, CA.
- Attended the Officer's Naval Nuclear Power School at Orlando, FL.
Honors & Publications
- Completed COPEC certification program in Power Electronics.
- Qualified as Naval Surface Warfare Officer - a demonstration of professional leadership naval officer competence.
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Member of the IEEE Power Electronics Society
- M.S. Power Electronics, Walden University
- B.S. Electrical Engineering, United State Naval Academy, Annapolis, MD