Chemical Consultant Specializing in Experimental Design, Experimental Strategy and Statistical Analysis of Data
Technical Consultant #1710
- Expert at solving difficult experimental and process problems in the chemical, materials and process industries.
- Strategies and tactics for efficient experimentation in chemical and materials sciences.
- Use of advanced methodologies in high throughput and combinatorial experimentation and resulting data analysis.
- Application of applied statistical methods to optimize the quality of experimental, manufacturing, or business processes.
- Analysis of data obtained from experimental, manufacturing, or business processes using advanced statistical and graphical methods.
- Instruction and training in the use of applied statistical methods, specifically designed experiments.
- Application of all these methods to engineering plastics.
Undisclosed Company, Owner, 2008 - Present
- Dow Corning: Planned statistically based experimental strategy for high-throughput experiments, analyzed complex data sets using statistical and graphical methods, and advised on experimentation for patent strategy (9 projects over 5 years).
- Valspar: Advised on a large, long-term chemical platform development project.
- Columbia Forest Products: Planned and analyzed experiments for optimization of bio-based plywood glue (now in production as PureBond™).
- BP and Nomacorc: Taught Design of Experiments (DOE) classes and advised on non-standard DOE experiments.
ProtoLife Inc., Venice, Italy, Director, High - Throughput Methods, 2007 - 2008
- Application of leading-edge statistical tools for performing experiments in large and complex experimental spaces.
- Marketing of ProtoLife's Predictive Design Technology in Europe and U.S.A.
General Electric Company, 1980 - 2006
GE Global Research, Niskayuna NY, Staff Scientist, 1998 - 2006
- Program leader for combinatorial coatings program.
- Combinatorial chemistry team leader for experimental strategy, experimental design, data handling, and data interpretation.
GE Plastics, Pittsfield MA, 1980 - 1998
Global Curriculum Development Leader
- Six Sigma, Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) and advanced tools course development.
- GE certified instructor in Six Sigma and DFSS training.
- Six Sigma Black Belt.
- Leader of the Design of Experiments program.
- Experimental design and experimental strategy for process development and optimization.
- Process development chemist (monomer and polymer process development).
Union Carbide Corporation, South Charleston WV, Chemist, 1973 - 1979
- Ethylene oxide and ethylene glycol research and development.
- Catalyst development and production.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Chemical Society
- American Society for Quality
- Society of Plastics Engineers
- Laboratory Robotics Interest Group
- Chemical Consultants Network
- Association for Laboratory Automation
- Six Sigma Black Belt and Instructor.
Publications and Patents
- 47 Publications
- One book published
- Many presentations
- 2 patents issued
- GE Global Research 25 Patent Awards
- Ph.D. Organic Chemistry, Stanford University, Stanford, CA
- B.A. Chemistry, Wesleyan University, Middletown, CT