- Over 20 years of research and work in the area of human health, aging and disease.
- Molecular aging,cell growth and cell differentiation of human epidermal keratinocytes.
- UV-induced DNA damage responses, DNA repair, and the study of human telomere biology.
- Dermatology and skin cancer.
- Special Skills:
- Skin pigmentation
- Mammalian cell culture
- DNA damage responses
- DNA repair
- Cell cycle control
- Mammalian telomere biology
- In vitro and in vivo models of carcinogenesis
- Fluorescence microscopy
Undisclosed University, Department of Dermatology, Research Associate Professor, 1991 - Present
- Graduate Program of Genetics and Genomics (secondary appointment), 2007 - Present
- Pathology and Laboratory Medicine (secondary appointment), 2001 - Present
- Department of Dermatology, 1997 - Present
Research Assistant Professor of Dermatology, 1991 - Present
Tufts University, Department of Dermatology, 1988 - 1991
- Staff Scientist II USDA/Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging
Industry Experience Through Sponsored Research Agreements:
CancerVax, Inc., Carlsbad, CA, 2004 - 2005
- Development of T-oligo technology as cancer therapeutic.
- Worked closely with a team at the CancerVax laboratories to characterize T-oligo-responsive human cancer cell lines and to assay effectiveness of several candidate T-oligos.
- Traveled to the CancerVax laboratories to participate in a seminar series, become familiar with their "good laboratory practices" protocols and help train their scientists.
- Hosted and trained representatives from the CancerVax team in our Boston University laboratories.
Unilever Research, Edgewater, NJ, Melanogenesis studies, 1997 -2000
- Coordinated and assist leading the research efforts of a group at Boston University exploring the use of DNA oligonucleotides as stimulators of melanogenesis (tanning) in human skin.
- Served as a scientific liaison between our research group and that from Unilever and help design, implement and evaluate this work.
Educator in the following courses at a local university and School of Medicine:
- Introduction to Physical Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Biochemical Genetics
- Introduction to Intermediary Metabolism
- Integrated Problems Course for medical students
- Special Topics in Pathology
- Special Topics in Genetics and Genomics
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Society for Investigative Dermatology
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Boston University Cancer Center Translational Research Program
- Member Sigma Phi Gamma (honor society), Pfeiffer College
- Junior Scholastic Award, Pfeiffer College
- Graduate Summa Cum Lauda, Pfeiffer College
- Departmental Nominee for University of Florida Graduate Teaching Assistant of the Year
- Predoctoral Trainee of the National Cancer Institute
- Muscular Dystrophy Association Postdoctoral Fellow
- Recipient of Dermatology Foundation, Research Grant
- 49 peered reviewed publications.
- 50 invited lectures.
- 13 Patents, U.S. and Europe and several in pending status.
- Ph.D. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Florida, Department of Biochemisty and Molecular Biology, FL
- B.A. Biology, Pfeiffer College, Misenheimer, NC