- Polymer selection for telecommunications equipment, wire, and cable applications.
- Real time polymer degradation, stabilization and failure analysis.
- Flame retardant polymers for wire and cable.
- Flame, smoke and toxicity testing protocols on wire and cable products.
- Characterization and analysis of polymers and polymer additives.
- Low dielectric loss polymer materials.
- Low dielectric loss and ultra low density foam insulation for coaxial cables.
- Polymer structure-property relationships.
- Global materials sourcing and vendor evaluation.
- Technical seminar development and presentations.
Independent Consultant, Present
Undisclosed Firm, 1984 - 2009
Principal Engineer, Materials
- Materials engineering and product development utilizing a variety of polymeric materials for various telecommunications products such as: cables, connectors and antennas.
- Developed and streamlined materials selection and evaluation processes for use in telecommunications products manufactured in USA and at various global locations.
- Researched and recommended global suppliers of polymeric materials for wire and cable, antenna and other wireless product applications.
- Worked closely with procurement team to facilitate vendor evaluation process and purchasing contracts.
- Developed ultra-low dielectric loss (90% velocity) and ultra-low density light weight foam (25% lighter than standard foam) insulation for coaxial cable applications that resulted in substantial cost savings and significant gain of market share.
- Formulated and developed new adhesive compound for bonding polyethylene to metal substrates which resulted in annual savings in excess of $1 million.
- Researched and evaluated novel and cost effective zero halogen flame retardant formulations for cable jacketing applications, resulting in significant annual cost savings.
- Increased the market share for plenum rated coaxial cables by substitution lower cost, raw materials.
- Responsible for introducing the in-line compounding of carbon black masterbatch with natural polyethylene for cable jacketing applications.
- Researched and evaluated competition closely and performed in-depth analysis on their products plastic dielectric products.
- Formulated and directed research and development projects with external research institutions on: (i) A 25% enhancement in extrusion output by more efficient cooling and (ii) A 20% reduction in material costs for cables by using non-linear finite element modeling.
Senior Research Chemist, 1995 - 2000
- Responsible for new cable designs and novel material applications.
- Designed and developed a patented light weight RF connector using composite materials.
- Established a polymer analysis laboratory for evaluating polymer products and trained laboratory staff on various test methods.
- Designed and developed a patented plenum rated radiating coaxial cable for radio communications.
- Directed research and development projects dealing with the applications of composite materials for antennas.
- Implemented real time weathering studies on cables and cable accessories.
Materials Engineer, 1984 - 1995
- Responsible for the selection and recommendation of plastics for use on wire and cable products.
- Patented industry's first zero halogen and low smoke radiating cable for use as a distributive antenna for radio transmission in confined spaces.
- Solved technical challenges relating to extrusion processing of plastics.
- Assisted fiber optic cable group in the selection of proper materials and processes.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Senior Member, Society of Plastics Engineers
- Member, American Chemical Society
- Effective Executive Speaking - American Management Association
- Effective Speaking and Human Relations - Dale Carnegie Institute
Recognition and Awards
- U.S. Government Research Fellowship to study the effects of resin components on Guayule Rubber (Natural Rubber).
- U.S. Government Post Doctoral Research Fellowship to study the applications of ion exchange resins for trace element speciation and enrichment.
- Author of articles for; Society of Plastics Engineers, Journal of Applied Sciences, Wire Journal International, and International Wire and Cable Symposium.
- 6 Patents in the U.S. and Internationally.
- Ph.D. Chemistry, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, India
- M.S. Polymer Science, University of Akron, Akron, OH
- B.S. Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics as Majors, Andhra University, Waltair, India