- Design and construction of specialized technical testing equipment and device such as: Light pipe couplers, capacitive biosensors, robotic flexural tester, polymer electrolyte battery cells, translation stage for laser annealing and helium leak detector.
- Lead a five staff member optical waveguide fabrication group for a world leader in specialty glass and ceramics.
- Obtained funding for, and directed scientific research in micro/nanotechnology and micro fabrication laboratory.
- Devised reflective infrared spectroscopy methods for detecting asbestos in soil and air samples used to evaluate samples from New York City after the World Trade Center collapse.
- Developed electro-immunoassays to detect bacteria.
- Designed and fabricated novel biosensors based on impedance analysis for the detection of food-borne pathogens.
- Produced compact instrumentation for the acquisition of magnetization curves.
- Developed silicon CVD process to maximize magnetic properties of electrical steels.
- Devised, built, and programmed robotics for physical testing of polymers and soil asbestos analysis.
- Set up accelerated life-testing program and elucidated failure mechanisms of laser diodes.
- Designed and fabricated unique dispersion-altered single mode optical waveguides.
- Directed a nine staff member Special Projects Laboratory for one of the nations leading environmental testing firms.
- Teaching and education in the field of microfabrication.
Independent Consultant, 2009 - Present
Undisclosed Firm, Philadelphia, PA, Senior Research Associate, 2007 - 2009
- Responsible for management of a variety of military and civilian electronics programs, and director of the power packaging laboratory.
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, Microfabrication Laboratory, Manager, 2003 - 2007
- Directed all laboratory activities, device development and fabrication and advising students and post docs.
- Responsible for maintaining and installing equipment and developing and teaching microfabrication laboratory courses.
EMSL Analytical, Inc, Westmont, NJ, Director Special Projects, 2001 - 2003
- Evaluated and brought advanced analytical capabilities into the organization and applied them to a diverse array of customer problems.
- Developed a reflective IR spectroscopy method for asbestos analysis.
Molecular Circuitry, Inc., King of Prussia, PA, Senior Scientist, 1999 - 2001
- Conducted biosensor research and development associated with the detection of food-borne pathogens, resulting in a two order of magnitude increase in electro-immunoassay sensitivity.
MTS Automation Performance Controls, Horsham, PA, Chief Scientist, 1997 - 1999
- Managed laboratory and conducted research associated with a National Science Foundation grant to develop new compact high-power and energy efficient electric motors.
Rohm and Haas Co., Bristol, PA, 1988 - 1997
- As Manager Physics Laboratory/Senior Scientist, provided technical support for physical, optical, electrical testing and analytical method development for the Polymer Physics Division.
- As Senior Scientist, Microscopy Lab, supported company wide research and development efforts in polymer physics and chemistry. Served as Analytical Research coordinator for the Electronics Chemicals Group.
RCA/SRI David Sarnoff Research Center, Princeton, NJ, Member Technical Staff, 1985 - 1988
- Developed and managed research programs elucidating failure mechanisms and leading to significant improvements in the reliability of AlGaAs laser diodes.
Corning Glass Works, Corning, NY, Project Manager/Senior Scientist, 1983 - 1985
- Research leading to the development of novel dispersion-altered single mode optical fibers, and manager of the waveguide fabrication and consolidation group.
Equipment Designed and Constructed
- Vertical elutriator for respirable particle analysis.
- High accuracy large range tensile extension gages.
- Novel multiple specimen holders for electron microscopes.
- Bulk and scanning consolidation furnaces for waveguide blanks.
- Computer automated chemical reaction kinetics measurement system.
- High-speed tensile testing slack adapter and data acquisition system.
- Automated polymer torsional tester.
- Automated light pipe flexural tester.
- E-beam deposition system with in-situ Auger spectrometer and low energy ion etching source.
- Light pipe couplers.
- Capacitive biosensors.
- Robotic flexural tester.
- Polymer electrolyte battery cells.
- Four probe liquid impedance cells.
- Translation stage for laser annealing.
- Helium leak detector.
Honors & Publications
- Authored diverse technical publications in peer reviewed journals.
- Authored publications for symposiums, conferences, and college text books.
- Ph.D. Materials Science Engineering, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- B.S. Physics, SUNY at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, NY