- Automotive Electronics and Telematics Executive and General Manager.
- Energy storage focused on lithium-ion storage manufacturing systems in aqueous based cell technologies.
- New business growth: New products, new markets, customer development and existing product price enhancement.
- Strategic planning: Market assessment, SWOT, gap resolution, partnerships, actionable business and technology plans.
- Product development and launch: Project management, product development, engineering execution, production launch.
- Global leadership and experience: Expatriate in Japan; extensive experience in Europe and BRIC countries (Brazil, Russia, India, and China).
- Profit and loss: Turnaround experienced, 30% model to model cost savings, aggressive cost reduction methods, lean methods, low cost sourcing and low cost manufacturing.
Independent Consultant, 2009 - Present
International Battery, Allentown, PA, Chief Operating Officer
- A lithium-ion storage system manufacturer with a patented large format, aqueous based cell technology with products that are substantially simpler and cost effective systems for energy storage applications.
- Led all engineering and operations activities for the company including Product Development, Operations, Purchasing and Logistics.
- Ramped production by 4x to 7 MWh per year within first 7 months. Improved first time yields by over 30%.
- Corrected engineering issues and delivered 25 kWh, 150 kWh and 600 kWh Bulk Energy Storage systems in 6-8 months.
- Improved delivery performance from 0% to 80% and delivered committed revenue.
- Reduced variable cost by 30% and collapsed cash usage during investor strategic deliberations.
ENER1, Inc., Indianapolis, IN,
- As Director, of Engineering for a rapidly growing company in the business of designing, developing and manufacturing lithium-ion batteries and battery systems for energy storage, with end markets that included transportation, stationary power, military and small cell markets.
- Led systems engineering, software engineering and commercial interfaces for new customer development and customer program execution.
- Created the processes and staff placement which accelerated revenue growth in existing transportation markets and new utility based stationary power markets.
- Installed and led a new cross functional bidding process to accelerate program wins. Directed technology planning to create superior value propositions through intellectual property creation and focused design strategies.
- Created systems engineering and software engineering capability to OEM product development standards.
- Lined up $480 million of new business bookings.
Delphi Corporation, Electronics and Safety, Kokomo, IN, 1981 - 2009
Managing Director, N. America, S. America; Entertainment and Communications, 2005 - 2009
- Directed all elements of entertainment and telematics business for North and South America.
- Delivered revenue of $260 million in 2008 growing at a 15% annual growth rate.
- Lead business line executive for Japanese customers for all regions and for China and Korean global business.
- Operated manufacturing plants in Mexico, China, Argentina, and Portugal.
- Developed unique technology partnerships and a global engineering footprint achieving cellular technology leadership, winning price, and an advantaged software execution plan.
- Built a strong position in mobile asset tracking telematics segment through awards of Caterpillar Product Link and Orbcomm satellite modem business.
- Doubled Toyota audio revenues and reversed losses in two years through vertical integration of key technologies: Bluetooth, satellite radio tuners, plastic molding and finishing; applied same approach to radio business for Toyota in China.
- Started up a local team in China to grow local market revenue resulting in $60 million of Chinese business in 2009.
- Corrected major engineering execution issues and launched first digital telematics products for Toyota and Honda.
- Turned around South America operation's profitability by reducing labor cost 30% and material costs by 17% through the implementation of lean methods.
Director, Entertainment and Communications Engineering, Chief Engineer Audio, 2001 - 2005
- Directed all worldwide engineering activities for Delphi's $2.2 billion Entertainment and Communications business.
- Led a global team of 2300 engineers in design centers in U.S., Singapore, China, Mexico and Germany. Managed $220 million annual budget.
- Led and launched new market leading products including AcuraLink for Honda and first traffic based navigation receivers for General Motors and Honda.
- Led the acquisition of Grundig Car Information Systems, A.G.
- Established new product development center in Shanghai, China reducing engineering costs by 75% and enabling access to local Chinese market.
- Led the development of strategic automotive satellite and terrestrial communications products establishing advantaged market positions in performance and cost.
- Developed industry's first products for XM and Sirius satellite radio customers as well as subsequent cost reduced versions resulting in a new business reaching 80% market share.
- Developed custom products for new customers (Ford, Hyundai, Daimler, Audi, Porsche) resulting in 30% increase in product volume and 15% increase in revenue at double digit profitability.
- Corrected major product development execution issues with implementation of structured problem solving approaches, application of disciplined project management methods, and use of improved engineering methods.
Delco Electronics, Asia, Director, 1999 - 2001
- Directed all Asia / Pacific engineering activities while resident in Tokyo, including customer application engineering in Korea, China, Australia and design centers in Singapore and India.
- Supervised total engineering workforce across Asia consisting of over 560 engineers with an annual budget of $40 million.
- Established a new Technical Center in Bangalore, India with concentration on product software development and math based tools with over 300 engineers.
- Developed a regional team of 80 applications engineers with the capability to support product development programs with Toyota, Honda, Isuzu, Hyundai, Daewoo and other customers.
- Improved engineering execution on vehicle electronics programs for Japanese customers including engine management electronics and sensors, security systems, entertainment and communications systems and safety electronics.
Powertrain Electronics (Delco, GM Hughes Merger), 1996 - 1999
- Positions held: Product Line Manager and Staff Engineer for manufacturing technology in the automotive and military electronic industries.
- Established $170 million diesel electronics product line for Delphi with Isuzu and Caterpillar.
- Introduced innovative gas engine controller products to reestablish competitiveness and win new business via 70% size reduction and 30% cost reduction.
Chevrolet/GMC Product Group, Program Manager, 1994 - 1995
Plant Operations Manager, Audio Systems Assembly Operations, 1988 - 1994
- Directed all operations involved in manufacture of 1.6 million premium radio receivers annually.
- Operated to annual budget of $45 million employing 700 salary and hourly unionized personnel.
- Management of multiple capital projects and process development activities.
Honors & Publications
- Author of the 2004 Convergence Paper.
- MBA Strategic Planning / Finance, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- BSME Mechanical Engineering / Materials, Kettering University, Flint, MI