- 30 years experience in the plastics and polymer industry working with both ICI in the UK and Rohm and Haas in the US.
- Internationally recognized expert in polymer synthesis, applications, bio-degradation and green polymer chemistry.
- Synthesis of many new polymer and plastic materials.
- Biodegradable of plastics; materials and polymers based on renewable resources; green chemistry.
- Polymer materials and application development experience in coatings, corrosion, water treatment, oil drilling and oil recovery, cosmetics, and personal care markets.
Polymeric Science and Applications
- Polymer discovery and laboratory development to scale up; provide customer service.
- Low molecular weight vinyl polymers, especially acrylics.
- Water soluble polymers synthesis and characterization.
- Broad background in condensations polymers and vinyl polymers and related polymerization.
- Degradable and biodegradable plastics and polymers.
- Renewable resource materials for plastic products.
- Testing by standard methodology for biodegradables and materials based on renewable resources.
Disposal of Biodegradable Plastics and Bioplastics
- Test method development with ASTM.
- Compost, soil, landfill, sea and freshwater tests.
- Internationally recognized expert in polymer bio-degradation.
Chemicals and Plastics from Fossil Resources
- Acrylic polymers, their synthesis and uses as coatings and adhesives.
- Water-soluble polymers: synthesis and uses.
- Detergents, dispersants, thickeners, and SAPs.
- Technology acquisition and technology liaison with academic centers world wide.
- Set up research programs for universities in Europe and Asia through Rohm and Haas.
- Standards development in ASTM degradation and biodegradation of plastics.
Independent Consultant, 2000 - Present
- Biodegradable detergents and cleaners from renewable resources.
- Monomers from natural resources, identifying needs and potential users.
- Valuation of poly (aspartic acid) program.
- New acrylic polymers.
- Canadian developer of degradable / biodegradable packaging based on polyolefins.
- Clay dispersants based on renewable resources.
- Development of packaging based on renewable resources.
- Development of biopolymers using fermentation and transgenics for packaging.
- Assisted start up companies using renewable resources.
Rohm & Hass Corporation, Philadelphia, PA 1968 - 2000
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- EPI's International Scientific Advisory Board
- ASTM - American Society for Testing and Materials
- SPI - Society of Plastics Industry
- American Chemical Society
- Oxo-biodegradable Plastics Institute
- Post Doctoral Appointment, Temple University
- Holder of 110 U.S. Patents.
- Author or co-author of 150 scientific publications.
- Editor of technical books on coatings and plastic disposal.
- Organizer and speaker at many national and international conferences, including a Gordon Conference Chairmanship.
- Ph.D. Organic Chemistry, (Honors) University of London,U.K.
- B.S. Chemistry, (Honors) University of London, U.K.