- Organic chemicals from renewable sources and green chemicals.
- Organic monomer development.
- Thermo-set polymers, especially unsaturated polyesters development and applications.
- Polyesters production process development.
- Polymer characterization.
- Pilot plant scale-up.
- Vinyl polymerizations.
- Styrene polymer and copolymers.
- Sun screen chemicals.
- New product commercialization management.
- External joint program management.
- Chemical Technical service for customers.
- Fluency in Chinese.
Independent Consultant, Present
Undisclosed Company, Senior Research Advisor, 1984 - 2009
- Unsaturated polyester development using monomers (glycols and cyclic olefins) produced within the company: Successfully developed and commercialized a line of new unsaturated polyester products.
- Technical Manager of a 12 person team for new unsaturated polyester product development.
- Chemical product application research in various industries: Developed new applications for many company products and gained new customers.
- Feasibility studies of chemicals from bio-sources, especially chemicals of current importance to the company: Evaluated current technology on bio-diesel process and by-product applications for the company.
- Polyol applications in unsaturated polyesters: Developed new applications for recycled polyurethane chemicals.
- Styrene polymer and copolymer research: Developed a high heat resistant styrene copolymer suitable for microwave oven applications.
ICI, Wilmington, DE, Research Chemist, 1983 - 1984
- Sun screen chemicals: Developed and patented a series of chemicals for sun screen applications.
American Can Co., Princeton, NJ, Research Chemist, 1976 - 1983
- Chemicals and polymers from pulp and paper industry: Developed and patented applications for lignin from pulp mill waste.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Chemical Society
Publications and Patents
- 25 patents
- 10 presentations
- Several papers
- Ph.D. Organic Chemistry, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
- B.S. Chemistry, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan