- Over 25 years engineering experience, in the chemical industry focused on fine chemicals, pharmaceutical intermediates, fluorochemicals, petrochemicals and specialty phosphates.
- Work included commissioning, utility works projects, plant engineering, process development and research and development.
- Prepared feasibility studies for new and modified facilities for producing purified phosphoric acid with a global scope with emphasis on phosphate plant combined heat, power and energy optimization.
- Combined heat, power and energy optimization studies and projects.
- Conducted laboratory programs for PWA plants and high purity phosphoric acid plants for the electronics sector in Asia.
- Provide Merger and Acquisition, (M & A) support in Europe and global post integration project management.
- Cost and investment analysis for specialty phosphates chemical production including operating and capital cost estimates and value engineering.
- Design the process engineering of three different sodium phosphate (STP, FP, SHMP) plants in China, prepared bids for a phosphorus byproduct gas clean up, and site utility and energy optimization studies.
- Carried out the process engineering design of a pharmaceutical/dentifrice calcium phosphates plant.
- Design and project consultancy for UK food additives plant.
EXPERT WITNESS EXPERIENCE
- Served as expert witness in a $300 million case between two major chemical companies in America.
Undisclosed Company, Director, 1998 - Present
- Business development, consultancy, project management and process engineering work.
- Carried out various studies, designs and projects in the U.K., Europe, U.S. and Far East,
- Expert witness work in the U.S.
- Process engineering in China.
Rhodia (A&W, Rhodia), 2002 - 2003
Project Manager - Strategic Projects
- Worked on the technology and intellectual property aspects of diversity various phosphates businesses which included a comprehensive study of all production and technology.
- Advised management members on technology issues of specific M & A projects.
Engineering Program Manager, Whitehaven, U.K.
- Phosphate plant closure project.
- Engineering responsibility for plant site decommissioning, demolition and delivery of various supporting projects in Liverpool, Widnes, U.K. and Huelva, Spain.
Capital Engineering Manager, Phosphates Manufacturing
- Responsible for all capital projects in the global phosphates manufacturing enterprise.
- Carried out feasibility studies for utility optimization and CHP projects in Chicago and Mexico, leading the pre-feasibility team for an $80 million purified phosphoric acid project and joint venture in Morocco.
Senior Business Projects Manager
- Responsible for all major projects within A&W, Rhodia.
- Manager for the Sahara program, a major change initiative at A&W's largest phosphate production site.
- Responsibilities included: Setting up and working with small operations and process technical teams, on site and working with the water company, compliance with industrial regulations and working with members of government and the environment agency.
Senior Projects Manager, Corporate Engineering Department
- Senior company project manager for all capital projects worldwide.
ICI / EVC, Plant Engineer, 1987 - 1997
- Responsible for all engineering aspects of 200 thousand, at a million tons per year, vinyl chloride and ethylene dichloride plant, including process engineering, process and energy efficiency improvement and development, plant maintenance capital and special maintenance projects.
- Supported the Klea business (ICI's refrigerant CFC replacements).
- Joined ICI Research Centre and the fluorochemicals task force working on the research, development and design of the new fluorochemical refrigerants including R134a, R32, and R125.
- Served as Project Manager for R32 and managed laboratory scale projects to develop pilot plant data, and managed the construction and operation of the pilot and market development plants, all fast track, with catalyst development, process engineering, and procurement in parallel.
- Managed projects for alternative fluorochemical refrigerant routes for R32 and retrofitting other refrigerants on existing CFC plants.
- Conducted research and development projects for the new fluoro lubricants products.
- As Project Manager, Huddersfield Works, project engineering to develop to fine chemicals, agrochemicals and pharmaceutical intermediates.
Honors & Publications
- Chartered Engineer, England
- Engineering Council Diploma in Engineering Management
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Member, Institute of Mechanical engineers (MIMechE)
- For innovation in fluorochemical refrigerant engineering, member of the team that was given the MacRobert Award, the UK's premier award for innovation in engineering.
- M.A. Engineering Science University of Oxford, St Anne's College, U.K.
- M.Sc. Chemical Engineering - Design, University of Manchester, U.K.