Metallurgical Consultant: Magnesium, Aluminum, Reactive Metals, Welding and Corrosion
Technical Consultant #1585
- Magnesium and aluminum production processes, alloy development, casting, fabrication, extrusion and forging.
- Alloy steels fabrication, heat treating and materials verification.
- Start up of magnesium extrusion lines in China; light metal fabrication facilities in China.
- Commercial and domestic water heating and storage tank evaluations, fabrication and corrosion protection.
- Reactive metals fabrication welding, corrosion properties, zirconium metal.
- Corrosion protection evaluations and mediation for automotive, oil and marine application with, soil and atmospheric oxidants.
- Welding engineering processes, TIG, MIG, SMAW, friction stir welding, brazing and soldering.
- AWS, ASTM, ASME knowledge for qualifications and managing fabrication processes and construction management.
- Metallurgical and electrochemical engineering process development and materials failure analysis.
- Electroplating process development and applications.
- Non destructive evaluation (NDE) process applications and evaluations, UT Level II, X-Ray, Dye-Penetrant and Eddy Current.
- Technical sales management, product development, market evaluations, expert witness and business management evaluations.
Independent Consultant, 2010 - Present
Winca Tech Group, Stafford, TX, Detroit, MI, Sales Marketing Manager, 2007 - 2009
- Development of automotive and industrial applications for magnesium structural extrusions.
- Developed magnesium extrusion capabilities at extrusion companies in China.
- Corrosion engineering and electrochemical evaluations for customers.
Hydro Aluminum Transportation Components, Kalamazoo, MI, Development Manager, 2002 - 2006
- As Business Development Manager, responsible for Ford, Toyota and Nissan accounts. 8
- Responsible for development of aluminum fabricated extrusion applications and assemblies.
- Managed tier supplier customers such as Bosch, Visteon, TRW, Delphi and Lear.
- Program Manager for development of aluminum extrusion shapes for the all aluminum extruded and welded chassis frame for the Ford GT Sports Car, 2002.
- Developed and managed $10 million additional aluminum component business at Delphi.
Ms Marketing, Wilmington, NC, Director-Owner, 1999 - 2002
- Technical training for metallurgical processes (aluminum, magnesium, reactive metals).
- Welding training; corrosion engineering, electrochemistry.
- Market evaluations, market development, technical marketing.
- Metallurgical, Welding, Corrosion engineering consulting.
Laque Center for Corrosion Technology, Wrightsville, Beach, NC, Development Manager, 1999
- As business Development Manager,implemented marketing strategic plans to expand company business.
- Identified target markets (domestic and international) and potential clients within market and initiated relationships.
Penn Aluminum International,Inc., Murphysboro, IL, VP Sales and Marketing, 1997 - 1998
- Directed all sales and marketing activities for a $50 million a year business.
- QS/ISO certified aluminum extrusion and drawn aluminum tubing business.
- Managed and coached 9 staff members and 13 representative agencies.
- Responsible for domestic and international marketing and sales with Ford, GM, DCX and Tier Co's.
- Re-established $2 million in lost business.
Kaiser Aluminum & Chemical Corporation, Tulsa, OK, Mobile, AL, Wilmington, NC, 1976 - 1997
- Marketing Manager, Technical Service Manager and Quality Staff Engineer: Full P & L and technical responsibility for group with $13 million in annual sales.
- Sales management and development of business in Canada, Mexico, Europe and Far East.
- Interfaced with operations/production group and purchased aluminum and magnesium primary raw materials.
- Conducted magnesium primary metal production process training.
- Responsible for manufacturing, technical service and corrosion consulting for customers.
- Managed technical operations for die casting services, permanent mold casting, extrusion, forging, welding engineering and laboratory services.
- Established and managed aluminum casting facility in Taiwan, Republic of China, for production of 15 million pounds of aluminum cast shapes.
- Developed and marketed aluminum extruded water heater corrosion protection anodes and expanded market from 100,000 to 6 million pounds annually.
- Developed cast aluminum anode market.
- Manager-Non-Destructive Evaluation Services for X-Ray, Ultrasonic, Welding-Inspection.
Daniel International, Plant Wansley, Carrollton, GA., Project Welding Manager, 1974 - 1976
- Manager for welding fabrication for 2 unit 880 MW fossil fuel power plant construction.
- Responsible for interpretation and implementation of ASME codes, AWS-Welder Qualifications, NDT Management-X-Ray, Weld inspection, equipment procurement and process development for TIG, MIG, SMAW welding.
- Regulatory agency management for inspection and certification to maintain P-Stamp.
- Developed MIG process welding of electrostatic precipitators and stainless steel coal hoppers resulting in significant cost savings.
Honors & Publications
- Conversational in German.
- Alpha Sigma Mu, International Metallurgical Honorary Society
- Level II Certified - Ultrasonics
- Level II X-Ray Film Interpretation Certified
- Technical Trainer for magnesium primary processes.
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- ASM, member 8
- NACE Int.-Ch. Corrosion by Waters, T-7
- SAE, Member
Publications and Patents
- Magnesium Extrusions - Properties, Applications, and Alloys, IMA
- Heat Transfer Properties of Magnesium. SAE
- Investigation Into CP Design for Storage Water Heaters, NACE
- Magnesium's Advantage and Use in Refrigerated Truck Trailers, IMA
- Quality Control Testing of Aluminum Anodes, NACE
- B.S. Materials Engineering, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC.