Independent Consultant, 2009
Bose Corporation, Framingham, MA, Senior Research Engineer and Patent Agent, 1999 - 2009
- Responsible for inventing and patenting new ideas, designing and demonstrating prototypes, and bringing the resultant products into a marketable form.
- Experienced in the display market with established associated suppliers of optical components and materials.
- Invented optical coating designs and processes for a new projection-screen technology that won the Bose President's Award.
- Created novel front and rear projector designs based on LCD, LCOS and DLP technologies.
- Performed optical design and analysis of LED illumination systems using "Zemax" software.
- Program manager of a team that developed fully immersive 3D audio and 3D video incorporating innovative optical coatings and processes.
- Led the Bose optics laboratory which handles all Bose optical measurements for a variety of products.
- Hands-on spectrophotometer measurements, radiometer measurements and laser measurements.
- Passed the patent bar exam in 2006 and served as Patent Agent at Bose. Wrote patent applications and prosecuted cases in the U.S. patent office.
Optical Coatings Laboratory, Inc (OCLI), Tokyo, Japan, Engineering Manager, 1997 - 1999
- General responsibility for all technical aspects of OCLI business in Asia.
- Built Japanese customer base, developed new products to fit the OEM Japanese market and planned the introduction of manufacturing in Japan.
- Headed the start-up of production in Japan by transferring vacuum coating processes from Santa Rosa, CA, to Isehara, Japan.
- Led the customer support group to effectively resolve quality problems in the U.S. factories.
Sony Corporation, Tokyo, Japan, Research Engineer, 1994 - 1997
- Worldwide involvement in all optical coating designs and coating processes with an emphasis on optical sputtering.
- Spear-headed a major initiative to switch from outside suppliers to low-cost internal manufacturing.
- Implemented new processes for production line in Mizunami, Japan.
- Performed optical measurements and material analysis including ellipsometry and spectrophotometry.
- Optimized optical coating designs important to company businesses which received the highest possible evaluation rating at Sony.
Hughes Aircraft, El Segundo, CA, Senior Scientist, 1994 - 1997
- Researched a wide variety of microelectronics, optics, and plasma physics technologies and supervised spectrophotometer laboratory.
- Developed optical products included holographic elements, true diamond coatings, the first laser fiber-optic transmitter for use in space, and the first fiber draw tower to produce aluminum-coated optical fiber.
- Developed the first plasma cleaning technology for use on space-based optics.
- Designed bandpass, antireflection, and other types of optical coatings for classified programs.
- Developed wirebonding, die attach, and package sealing processes for microelectronics assembly.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Optical Society of America (OSA)
- Society for Information Display (SID)
- Society of Photographic Instrumentation Engineers (SPIE)
- New England Fiber Council (NEFC)
- Received the highest possible evaluation rating at Sony. ("extraordinary achievement recognized at the corporate level") for 1995, 1996, and 1997.
- USPTO Registered Patent Agent
- Native English, fluent in Japanese
- Company awards: 4 at Hughes, 3 at Sony, 2 at Bose
- Software: TFCalc, Zemax
- 26 U.S. and foreign patents.
- 22 pending patents.
- Patent list furnished upon request.
- M.S. Materials Science, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA
- MBA Pepperdine University, Malibu, CA
- B.S. Applied Physics, Caltech, Pasadena, CA