Pharmaceutical Chemist Consultant: Drug Discovery and Drug Portfolio Management With Global Pharmaceutical Companies
Technical Consultant #1571
- Drug discovery and innovation management with global pharmaceutical companies.
- Create and implement pharmaceutical research and development strategies and processes to deliver superior value.
- Develop and implement worldwide pharmaceutical portfolio management for GlaxoSmithKline discovery and genetics research businesses.
- Negotiations and implementation of processes for selection and prioritization of drug research programs.
- Enabled the increased productivity of drug leads in GSK by 50% in 2 years and reduced cycle times by 50%.
GlaxoSmithKline, 2000 - 2008
Molecular Discovery Research Portfolio Management
- Developed and implemented worldwide Portfolio Management for GlaxoSmithKline discovery and genetics research businesses encompassing 2000 staff people and $400 million budget.
- Developed and managed process involving: Negotiation and implementation of processes for selection and prioritization of research programs; developing IT modeling systems to present performance with fit-for-purpose benchmarking analysis; modeling future performance; and, change management and team training.
- Increased in productivity of drug-like leads in GSK by 50% in 2 years.
Director, Genetics and Discovery Research Portfolio Management, 1998 - 2000
Director, Discovery Research Portfolio Management, 1992 - 1998
SmithKline Beecham, King of Prussia, PA, 1989 - 2000
Discovery Portfolio Management, Director
Associate, Director, Medicinal Chemistry
- Discovered and championed lotrafiban (antithrombotic) to Phase III and 2 preclinical candidate antithrombotics.
- Leader in diverse areas of drug discovery - small molecule, peptidomimetic and peptidic therapies for HIV, osteoporosis, restenosis, thrombosis and hypertension.
Beckman Instruments, Palo Alto, CA, Principal Research Chemist, 1977 - 1989
- Peptide Chemistry: Leader in diverse areas of drug discovery with small molecule, peptidomimetic and peptidic therapies for pain and hypertension.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, Postdoctoral Chemist,1975 - 1977
- Developed new synthetic organic chemical methodologies.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Project Management Institute
- The American Chemical Society
- The American Association for the Advancement of Science
- The American Peptide Society
Certifications and Credentials
- Co-Principal Investigator, N.I.H. PO1 grant in collaboration with Harvard, Columbia and Penn to develop novel AIDS therapies.
- Editorial Advisory Board, Drug Design and Discovery
- NIH Biochemistry Study Section
Patents and Publications
- Over 25 patents.
- Over 75 papers and invited speaker at over 25 conferences and symposia.
- Ph.D. Organic Chemistry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- B.S. Organic Chemistry, Kalamazoo College, Kalamazoo, MI