Physical Chemist Consultant: Fiber Structure Development, Fiber Characterization and Fiber Process Development
Technical Consultant #1567
- Organic fiber manufacturing process and fine structure and property relationships.
- Real time in process structure measurement: X-ray and Raman.
- Fiber characterization, both fine structure and macroscopic properties.
- Translation of fiber fine structure to functional properties, e.g. tensile, dye, elongation.
- Translation of fiber properties to final product strength in spun yarns and spun-bonded non-wovens.
- Staple yarn spinning (OES), process characterization, product development.
- Processing, structure, property relationships of PET (polyethylene terephthalate), aromatic polyamide (PPT, Kevlar®), 6,6 nylon and carbon fibers.
- Testing philosophy and selection of tests appropriate for product release.
- PP (polypropylene) oxidative stabilization.
DuPont Research and Development, Senior Research Associate, 1965 - 2001
Assignments at Wilmington DE; Old Hickory, TN (Spunbonded); and Kinston, NC (Dacron®)
- Independent and collaborative research.
- Cutting edge fundamental research in fiber structure development and product and process development.
- Devised a quantitative model for polypropylene oxidation generating substantial savings.
- Developed dyeable polypropylene and long term interest in fiber dyeability and associated fine structure features.
- Demonstrated binder selection criteria for optimized self-bonded non-woven fabric strength.
- Developed new staple products and a new process for polyester staple manufacture.
- Developed model for staple fiber to yarn strength translation.
- Provided quantitative connection between carbon fiber fine structure and fiber tensile properties.
- Provided structure basis for first successful quantitative spinning model.
- First real time study of 6,6 nylon fine structure development and change in spinning and drawing with novel quantitative interpretation of X-ray data.
- Patents and characterization of materials for patent purposes.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Chairman of Industry/Princeton Plasma Physics Consortium.
- Post-doctoral fellowship, Univ of Notre Dame, Radiation Chemistry
- Honor Graduate, Chemistry, University of Manchester, United Kingdom
- Radiation Chemistry Fellowship, University of Notre Dame
- 10 publications.
- National and International presentations and conferences.
- Ph.D. Physical Chemistry, University, Manchester, UK
- B.S. Chemistry, University, Manchester, UK