Consultant for Industrial Gases: Marketing Research and Supply of Hydrogen, CO2 and Renewable Energy Gases
Technical Consultant #1549
- Industrial gas markets, sales, demand and marketing research.
- Experienced commercial manager with strong engineering, leadership and execution skills related to industrial gases, chemicals, refining and energy industries.
- CO2 and hydrogen markets and industrial gas marketing research.
- Hydrogen generators, air separation plants, fired heaters, waste to energy
- Identification of new industrial gas opportunities in renewable energy markets.
- Demonstrated ability to commercialize new technology, assess markets and form external alliances.
- Strategy development, excellent communication skills and numerous publications and patents.
Independent Consultant, Present
Linde Engineering, Blue Bell, PA, Business Development Manager, 2010 - 2015
- Sales, marketing and business development for air separation, hydrogen generators, PSA units, reformers, fired heaters and thermal oxidizers. Identified new market opportunities and product line extensions.
- Sold ten innovative new hydrogen generators generating over $20 million in sales
- Developed sales strategy for air separation plants in NAFTA region.
Heat Transfer International, Kentwood, MI, Vice President, Sales and Marketing, 2009 - 2010
- Responsible for global sales, marketing and business development at HTI, a technology development company specializing in distributed renewable energy power plants using gasification to convert organic wastes to energy.
- Implemented market segmentation and sales strategy
- Developed numerous paid feasibility studies
Air Products and Chemicals, Inc., Allentown, PA, 1990 - 2009
Commercial Development Manager, 2008 - 2009
- Developed new business opportunities for $1 billion industrial gas division by examining new products, new markets and alliances.
- Generated over 20 new industrial gas opportunities in renewable energy by developing entry strategy, forging external alliances and forming an ad-hoc business development team of six engineers and marketing specialists.
- Positioned company as sole supplier of a $5 million industrial gas plant in a $30 million public private partnership for agricultural waste project in Pennsylvania.
- Identified a $500 million acquisition opportunity in the U.S. merchant market for CO2.
- Led international, cross-functional team to assess CO2 market.
Marketing Manager, 2006 - 2008
- Provided strategic marketing to develop $60 million North American food market for industrial gases.
- Identified growth segments, executed marketing programs and developed new technologies by working with external universities and smaller companies.
- Generated $1 million of revenues in modified atmosphere packaging (MAP) by leading a five-member team of sales and research and development professionals.
- Executed a joint marketing alliance with a small technology company.
- Executed $100 million feasibility study and negotiated license agreement with Georgia Technology Research Institute for disinfecting fruit juice with UV light.
- Managed two $50 million trials for potato sprout suppression with ethylene in Pennsylvania and Maine using biofresh, ltd. (U.K.) technology.
Global Asset Manager, 2000 - 2006
- Oversaw $50 million/year global supply chain and manage $60 million asset base for a specialty surfactant business.
- Reduced operating costs by 20% and increased production by optimizing global supply chain including manufacturing, tolling and raw materials.
- Executed $4 million of investment in plant automation at Calvert City plant which improved reliability and reduced costs.
- Saved over $2 million/year by reducing number of tollers, production sites and raw material suppliers through the use of continuous improvement tools.
Project Development Engineer, 1996 - 2000
- Developed competitive $100 million capital projects by understanding customer needs and translating requirements to internal engineering team.
- Led bid strategy and proposal development for $100 million hydrogen plant in Carson, CA.
Implemented alternative execution strategy saving $4 million while managing risk by working with Technip, Air Products' technology supplier.
- Developed optimal utility and gas supply schemes for customers.
- Published and presented four papers on optimizing hydrogen, steam and electricity production at national conferences.
Manager, New Initiatives, 1994 - 1996
- Developed new business opportunities in North American chemicals and refining market.
- Participated in Air Products' entry into India by forming a 50/50 joint venture with Inox.
- Promoted Air Products' process and safety capabilities by coordinating market research, process evaluation and competitor analysis resulting in five papers in premier industry magazines.
Program Manager, 1990 - 1994
- Developed market, economics and technology for a novel co-incineration process.
- Led a cross-functional team to execute $1 million field testing of using oxygen to co-incinerate municipal solid waste and sludge in a waste-to-energy plant.
- Secured DOE and EPA funding for field demonstration and coordinated extensive market and technical evaluation.
Honors & Publications
Publications and Patents
- Numerous publications and presentations.
- 3 U. S. Patents.
- MBA Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA
- M.S. Chemical Engineering, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, University of Bombay, India