- Chemical product commerce with China.
- Polyurethanes chemistry - polyurethane flexible foam production based on polyether and polyester polyols.
- Specialty films production by the solvent band casting process.
- Corrosion inhibitor production; specialty chemical production and sales; and production of artificial sweeteners.
- Operations, new product formulating, research and development.
- Plant and chemical process shut down.
- OSHA, EPA and regulatory compliance in chemical plant operations and chemical plant shut down.
- Increased profits after restructuring companies.
Undisclosed Company, President, Present
- Buying and selling of specialty chemicals with China.
- Service on establishing manufacturing plants in Asia relating to operations and manufacturing, developing new products, restructuring to increase profitability and implementing control systems (ERP).
- Environmental compliance in chemical manufacturing.
PMC Global Inc. and Subsidiaries, Cincinnati, OH, 1995 - 2008
PMC Specialties Group, Inc., President
- Led company in production of chemical intermediates, artificial sweetener (saccharin) and corrosion inhibitors (azoles for yellow metal protection) and water treatment.
- Reorganized personnel and eliminated unprofitable products.
- Moved commodity chemical manufacturing to China after joint ventures were established.
- Production of higher margin products and trained sales on advantages of new product line.
- Implemented ERP system that linked customer service, ordering, inventory, sales, purchasing, manufacturing, supply chain and warehouse management.
VCF Films, Inc., President, Howell, MI (Subsidiary of PMC)
- Produced specialty films from PVC, CAB and acrylic polymers by the solvent band casting process. These films are of extremely high quality and clarity.
- Developed a new polymer line that is used for the d_skin DVD protective cover and finish for automotive interior applications.
- Modified the band casting cooling equipment to accept higher oven temperatures and changed the lay down of the polymer on the stainless band.
PMC Global, Inc., Director of Property Management, Sun Valley, CA (Subsidiary of PMC)
- Coordinated the sale and removal of assets at PMC chemical plant locations in Illinois, New Jersey, Missouri and Pennsylvania.
- Transferred PMC technology and equipment to each new owner.
- Worked with the sales, production, quality assurance, plant maintenance and management personnel of the new owners to familiarize them with their new acquisition.
- Coordinated the relocation of employees and demolition of some plants. Ensured each vacated site was in compliance with all environmental laws.
General Foam Corporation, Vice President of Operation, PA and NJ (Subsidiary of PMC)
- GFC produced slab stock and peeled foams used in industrial applications and comfort cushioning.
- Changed formulations to produce better yields, new product lines and better flame laminating foams of a polyether and polyester polyurethane flexible foam manufacturer.
- Coordinated new product marketing, negotiated better pricing of raw materials, up-dated equipment and improved quality.
IPI International, Inc., Vice President of Operations, Elkton, MD (Subsidiary of PMC)
- Responsible for the daily operation of a polyurethane liquid component systems plants and warehouses located in Maryland, Arkansas, California, Illinois and Florida.
- Designed and budgeted plant expansion projects.
- Engineered processes for new products and coordinated market development.
- Coordinated manufacturing parameters, demonstration and set-up for the customer to manufacture the product.
Consulting Practice, President, Glyndon, MD
- Provided comprehensive evaluations to companies on regulatory infractions.
- Assisted companies to avoid high OSHA fines and lowered the number of workmen compensation claims.
- Presented up-to-date revisions of regulatory and environmental requirements including; permits (operating, air and waste), Toxic Release Inventory (Form R), Tier 1 and 2, RCRA, EPCRA, SARA, DOT and OSHA (hazard communication, bloodborne pathogen, lockout/tagout, respiratory protection, emergency contingency plan and forklift).
Wm. T. Burnett & Company, Inc., Research and Development Director, Jessup, MD
- Developed new products and coordinated marketing efforts.
- Authored or co-authored seven patents involving flexible polyurethane foam technology.
- Researched new additives applicable to flexible foams and followed them through production.
- Developed highly flame retardant foam.
- Provided technical assistance to customers and sales.
- Coordinated the development of a female contraceptive sponge with a major woman's hygiene product manufacturer and FDA officials. Interfaced with EPA, OSHA, FDA, DOT, NHTSA, FTA, FAA and other regulatory groups.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- ISO Compliance in U.S.A. and Asia
Publications and Patents
- Developed seven patents involving flexible polyurethane foam technology
- M.S., Chemistry, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
- B.S., Chemistry, Washington College, Chestertown, MD