- Environmental and extractive geology with international experience.
- Water treatment, water remediation for mining and water issues for chemical plant operations.
- Water desalination and cogeneration solutions.
- Mining techniques for minerals and coal; geology related to mine location.
- Acid mine draining, trailing ponds, wastewater treatment and water analysis.
- HAZMAT delineation and remediation.
- Mineralogy of burning coal mines.
- Sinkhole causes, classification and remediation.
Undisclosed Company, President and Founder, 1992 - Present
- Invented TASPHOX (Turbo Aspirated Photochemical Oxidizer) and PPI (Peroxide Photolysis Ionizer) water treatment systems.
- Initiated /acquired patents and designed, built and tested bench scale systems and prototypes.
- Independent consultant on: Phase I, II & III ESA's (Endangered Species Act); hydrocarbon spills; HAZMAT delineation and remediation; and waste-water treatment for industrial, municipal, legal, forensics investigations, insurance clients and other consulting companies.
- Conducted mineral exploration and reserve delineation for precious metals and rare earth elements in Ecuador, S.A. and oil shale in Saskatchewan, Canada.
Handex Inc., Senior Hydrogeologist & Project Manager, Oaks, PA, 1990 - 1992
- Organized first branch office in Pennsylvania.
- Managed over thirty long-term groundwater remediation projects for clients, including petroleum companies Exxon, Amoco, Citgo, BP, Texaco and Sun.
- Projects required extensive administrative and technical oversight concerning hydrocarbon recovery systems design and implementation, soil disposal and groundwater treatment/disposal and permit acquisition/compliance.
Buchart Horn, Inc., Senior Geologist, York, PA, 1988 - 1990
- Prepared comprehensive permit applications for double lined sanitary landfills in Pennsylvania.
- Proposed mine spoil to soil comminution by automated portable crushing unit yielding sub-base and cover materials complying with solid waste regulations criteria.
- Directed the remedial investigation of several hazardous waste contaminated sites.
- Entailing design and supervision of surface soil vadose zone.
- Groundwater assessment requiring extensive soil sampling, installation of monitoring wells, pressure/vacuum lysimeters, piezometers, recovery wells and well clusters.
- Evaluated decommission of industrial sites for PCB's and toxic chemical contamination of soils and groundwater.
Waste Management Services Group, NUS Corp., Gaithersburg, MD,1987 - 1988
- For the Office of Environmental Compliance at DOE HQ Washington, D.C., evaluated six Department of Energy facilities for quality assurance and quality control protocols regarding sampling and analysis of environmental monitoring systems, assessment of hydrogeological investigations, and compliance with the Toxic Substance Control Act (TSCA).
- Sites included the Idaho National Engineering Laboratory (ID), Component Development and Integration Facility (MT), Solar Energy Research Institute (CO), National Institute for Petroleum and Energy Research (OK), Ames Research Institute (IA) and Princeton Research Center (NJ).
Independent Consultant Projects, 1981 - 1987
- Directed heavy minerals prospecting and mine concession development projects including site identification and evaluation, perimeter delineation, permits, aerial photo interpretation, and extraction methodology design and implementation in Ecuador, Colombia and British Guyana.
- Investigated previously unknown pyrophoric mineral related to Marcasite occurring in coals susceptible to spontaneous combustion.
- Designed process to chemically extract Colombian Emeralds "gently" from carbonate matrix reducing high losses to fracturing.
- Invented continuous pressurized cyanide leaching process to extract precious metals from gangue combined with a method of instant photochemical destruction of residual spent cyanide liquor.
Environmental Resources Management, Inc., Project Geologist, West Chester, PA, 1980 - 1981
- Invented the worlds first IR-Interferometer, a hydrocarbon sensing photonic interface probe.
R.E. Wright Associates, Staff Geologist, Harrisburg, PA, 1978 - 1980
- Conducted environmental investigations and participated in mining geology (coal and cement) evaluations, hydrocarbon and hazardous materials cleanup and recovery, groundwater development and sewage facilities planning at sites in MD, DE, PA, NY and NJ.
- Clients included water authorities; metal plating companies; chemical firms; and petroleum refiners Gulf, Arco, Mobil, Sohio, and BP. Solved a hydrogen sulfide neutralization AMD problem for a large bituminous coal company using geochemical methods.
Honors & Publications
- Certified Professional Geologist, American Institute of Professional Geologists
- Professional Geologist, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- Asbestos Inspector, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- Member, American Institute of Professional Geologists
- Mineralogical Society of America
- American Geophysical Union
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers and Harrisburg Area Geological Society
- Honorary Member, Washington, DC Mineralogical Society
- Papers in several leading geological publications.
- Awarded 2 U.S. Patents.
- Discovery of 14 new minerals
- Field methods in the Yukon Territory with the University of Wisconsin
- Oceanography at the Marine Science Consortium, Lewes, Delaware
- Structural geology at the University of Missouri Structural Geology Camp, Lander, Wyoming
- B.S., Geology, Juniata College, Huntingdon, PA