- Design and build grippers, tooling and support equipment for material handling, robots, assembly machines, assembly lines and pick-and-pack.
- Development, design, testing, and operation of medical devices, hand and power tools, major electrical appliances, diamond wire dies and cutting tools.
- Material handling equipment systems for manufacturing, including robotics equipment, industrial control systems, heating and cooling systems, watercraft, safety interlocks and automation equipment.
- Synthetic diamond production, COMPAX monitoring and control systems and related application developments.
- Self locking cylinders, dressing tools, acceleration actuated striking mechanisms.
- Idea generation, creativity and group interaction to maximize creative idea generation.
- Expert in mechanical design engineering skilled in patent litigation and service as a mechanical engineer expert witness.
- Intellectual property, patent claim construction, infringement, and litigation support.
- Expert in claim writing and defense before U.S. patent examiners.
- Rapid prototyping of preproduction parts and prototypes, including testing and debugging prototype product.
- Energy Management: Utility bill auditing, reduced utility consumption methods, energy purchasing strategies, on-peak reduction, utility backup strategies, energy efficient lighting and process and equipment efficiency.
Undisclosed University, Department of Mechanical Engineering, 2004 - Present
- Established a senior design program that links industrial needs with student projects.
- Developed and teach the course "Introduction to Robotics," emphasizing systems integration.
- Developed and teach the course "Mechanical Innovations." Skilled with techniques for idea generation.
Robo-Tech Systems, Inc., Gastonia, NC, 1982 - 2004
- Developed and built grippers, tooling, and support equipment for robots, material handling equipment, assembly machines, assembly lines and pick-and-place.
- Responsible for sales and marketing, product development, production and finance. Products were sold to U.S. auto manufacturers and other industries.
- Reduced corporate operating cost by installing a Computer Program Integration Management system (CPIM).
General Electric Company, Development Engineer for Specialty Materials Department, Worthington, OH, 1975 - 1982
- Replaced mined natural diamond with diamond made from graphite on mechanical presses.
- Coordinated man-made diamond product development, fabrication, testing, marketing and sales.
- Responsible for two "COMPAX" product lines. Developed and patented three new diamond products.
- Justified and introduced thermally stable "COMPAX" blanks with proprietary diamond crystal structures.
Whirlpool Corporation, Project Engineer, Benton Harbor, MI, 1968 - 1975
- Invented improved appliance products for Whirlpool Corporation. Designed glass impregnated propylene appliance foot, water warning valve, washing machine suspension system, and conveyor transfer apparatus.
- Developed a vertical axis balance mechanism for the full line of automatic washers.
- Designed and built a conveyor transfer apparatus.
Typical Consulting Assignments
- Low cost cylinder for tool part.
- Hydraulic clamps.
- Designed a custom venturi vacuum gripper.
- Invented a 3 axis, force feedback electric end effector.
- Designed a self-locking tank clamp.
- Designed a constant force wrist.
- Research and development of custom wrists.
- Designed a 3 jaw custom stroke gripper.
- Designed and built water cooled gripper.
- Designed and built pivot wrist tooling system.
- Designed aerospace end effector.
- Designed a packaging robot system.
Honors & Publications
- 12 Patents
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA