Printing and Coating Consultant for Plastic Films, Foils and Packaging Substrates
Technical Consultant #1418
Printing and coating consultant for plastic films, foils and packaging substrates. Expert with many different coating, packaging and printing processes. Experienced in printing and coating technology spanning traditional methods to digital printing and 100% reactive systems. Application areas include: Environmental markers and labels, surfacing, insulating films, barrier films, beverage packaging, construction supplies, architectural materials and protective coatings. Specific expertise in:
- Specialty and coated papers, specializing in packaging, labels and tags.
- Smart labels with sensors indicating time, temperature and freezing history.
- Environmental markers and labels indicating the environmental history
- UV and EB ink and coating technology.
- Selection and application of abrasion and chemically resistant coatings.
- Coating and printing on films, foils, laminates and over - laminates.
- Traditional (offset, gravure, screen and flexographic) printing.
- Digital (laser, ink jet, thermal transfer and electrostatic) printing.
- Film casting, extruding, and vacuum coating, and industrial laminating.
- Gravure, slot, rod, blade rotary screen and roll coating.
- Rigid panel coating and printing.
- Powder and liquid spray coating, especially for medium density fiberboard (MDF) and wood.
- Microliter and picoliter dispensing systems.
- Digital photographic reproduction.
- Printing for beverage and flexible packaging, including pharmaceutical applications.
- Industrial ink jet printing.
- Conductive inks and coatings.
- Colloid and surface chemistry (nanotechnology).
- Printing process design, development and commercialization.
Independent Consultant 2000 - Present
- Consultancy specializing in specialty papers and films and associated printing and costing systems and technologies.
- Technical management, product design, development, commercialization and product distribution specializing in coating systems for packaging, labels and tags.
- Problem resolution in manufacturing and raw materials, along with business and technical strategy analysis and development.
- Expert witness and skilled in intellectual property analysis and protection.
Various Organizations, Chief Scientist
- Chief scientist and chief technical officer for various start - up ventures.
- Acting COO for Vibrant Molecular Imaging, LLC.
- 5 patent applications for novel technology.
Decorative Surface Technologies, Inc., Founder, 2001
- Maker of high quality photo reproductions and digital prints on rigid panels using dye sublimation.
- Product focus of high end store fixtures, gaming tables, architectural, specialty furniture and signage markets.
Various Employers, 1985 - 2000
- Focus on coating, printing and metalization of laminated films, papers and fabrics. Products include label face stocks, direct imaging media, colored films and spacecraft insulation.
- Led development of new products for wide format digital graphics market.
- Directed the development and production of totally new, high image quality papers for OEMs such as 3M Commercial Graphics (ScotchPrint), Xerox, and Hewlett - Packard.
- Worked on paper coating and calendering research and methods to improve the performance and productivity of coated board production.
Honors & Publications
- Philadelphia Society of Coatings Technologies
- Specialty Graphics and Imaging Association
- Federated Society of Coatings Technologies
- American Chemical Society
- Over 20 patents granted.
- Approximately 30 technical papers.
- Ph.D., Colloid Chemistry, Waikato University, New Zealand