- A broadly experienced Safety and Health Professional and Manager with OSHA background in the petroleum, chemical and energy industries.
- Expertise with development and management of unique safety and health programs, cost containment, workers compensation, general liability, industrial hygiene, ergonomics, emergency response, hazardous material transportation, federal and state compliance, fire protection, and incident investigation.
- Creative approaches in leadership, training skills and ability to address the total well-being of both the employee and organization.
- Specific safety areas:
- Construction safety; safety in fuel transportation and retail outlets.
- Industrial Hygiene.
- Safety Training %u2013 OSHA.
- Personal Protection issues.
- Petroleum refinery safety management.
- Safety, hygiene and wellness of large pharmaceutical facilities.
- Safety at retail gas stations.
- Expert witness testimony in legal cases to demonstrate safety proficiencies and compliance with regulations.
Independent Safety and Health Consultant, Present
Undisclosed Company, Safety Consultant, 2005 - Present
- Provide safety consultation services to a variety of clients including: Dow Chemical, HydroChem, Sunoco, and Nooter Construction Co.
Valero, Delaware City Refinery, DE
- Safety and health oversight for all capital construction work. 2,000 contractors, $300 million a year with no recorded injuries in 2 years.
- Headed safety and health programs for the following projects all with no recorded injuries:
- Coker scrubber project,
- Nooter Construction,
- Sulfur plant T/A,
- Power plant upgrades.
Sunoco, Philadelphia Refinery, PA, 2006 - 2007
- Safety and health support for 1232 Cat. Cracker T/A - 2000 workers - no recorded injuries.
- Manage safety support and over site for all construction activities.
- Providing safety support to over 2000 construction workers.
- Identifying hazards, unsafe acts, providing training and support to total construction project.
Carroll Independent Fuel, Baltimore, MD, 2007
- Safety and health support for heating oil and gasoline transport business.
Sunoco Inc., Philadelphia, PA, Marketing, Manager Safety and Health, 1995 - 2005
- Managed employee and customer safety at 5,000 gas stations, 3 retail heating fuel sites, 40 transportation terminals as well as service station maintenance and racing fuels, in 23 states.
- Directed oversight for 8,500 employees, 965 vehicles and all customers.
- Compliance activities for all local and national governmental agencies including: OSHA, DOT, EPA, USCG, propane, race fuels, life safety codes, construction and local agencies. Included tracking and reporting on all safety activity.
- Analyzed customer injury data and developed corrective programs which reduced frequency and costs from $2.5 million to $600 thousand annually.
- Developed and implemented voluntary wellness program including health risk assessments, walking programs and fitness centers promoting total employee well-being.
- Created and implemented unique Emergency Response Training Program addressing gasoline tanker rollovers.
- Designed and implemented program to oversee all industrial hygiene monitoring/compliance for service station attendants, gasoline and heating oil transport, mechanics and administrative employees and assured compliance with OSHA regulations.
- Devised an assessment of personal protective equipment for marketing function and provided equipment and training to assure compliance with OSHA regulations.
- Wrote first ergonomic guideline for the convenience store industry - Ergonomics 101 - A Guide to the Convenience Store Industry.
- Developed and implemented Confined Space and Lock Out/Tag Out programs for all sites and designed and presented defensive driving programs and training for all fleet vehicles reducing accidents by 65% over seven years.
- Worked closely with maintenance group to develop a "contractor safety program," including a safety manual, contractor evaluation and certification, training for all groups and spot checks to verify safety activity.
Manager Safety and Health - Transportation Group, 1992 - 1995
- Directed all safety activity for 500 gasoline transport drivers.
Director Safety and Health - Sun Research and Development, 1990 - 1992
- Managed safety programs for 200 chemists, engineers and technicians in high tech research group.
ICI Pharmaceuticals, Newark, DE, 1986 - 1990
Manager Safety, Health and Medical
- Managed all safety, industrial hygiene, medical, wellness and security activities for pharmaceutical plant of 500 employees. Supervised doctor and 3 nurses for 3 shift operation, including exams, drug testing, fitness and exposure monitoring, a fitness center and activities, walking program, aerobics, running club, a 1 mile track and a fitness center.
- Directed compliance with all pharmaceutical regulations for manufacture of prescription medicines, including OSHA, FDA and EPA regulations.
Texas Oil Company, Delaware City, DE, 1985 -1986
Getty Oil Company, Delaware City, DE, 1982 - 1985
- Managed the safety and industrial hygiene programs for a 500 employee refinery, purchased from Getty Oil in 1985. Oversight safety responsibility for power generating facility, scrubber and sulfur dioxide facilities on site.
Federal OSHA (Dept. of Labor & Industry), Wilmington, DE, 1979 - 1982
- Senior Industrial Hygienist for all activity in the State of Delaware.
- Completed 250 site inspections of all types of industry to determine compliance with OSHA regulations.
Maryland OSHA (MOSH), Baltimore, MD, 1975 - 1979
- Senior Industrial Hygienist for all activity in the 9 counties on Maryland's Eastern Shore.
Honors & Publications
- National Safety Council - Defensive Driving, Smith Driving System
- USCG - Captains License - Masters Level
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- National Safety Council
- American Industrial Hygiene Association
- American Society of Safety Engineers
- Safety Engineers of Delaware
- Maryland Safety Council
- Delaware Safety Council
- M.S. Equivalent, Environmental Biology, Towson State University, Baltimore, MD
- B.S. Public Health, Towson State University, Baltimore, MD
- B.A. Biology, Wittenberg University, Springfield, OH