Composite Expert and Consultant with Recognized International Experience
Technical Consultant #1363
- Over 40 years' experience in advanced thermal materials and composite structural, optical and mechanical systems, currently providing consulting and training services on these subjects, (internationally recognized authority on composite structures).
- Over 35 years of commercial and aerospace experience in polymer matrix, metal matrix, ceramic matrix and carbon/carbon composite materials technology, including: design, manufacturing, product development, material development and characterization, test method development, material and structural testing and basic research in micromechanics and material behavior.
- Pioneered a wide range of commercial and aerospace composite applications, including spacecraft and aircraft structures, rocket motor cases, machine components, electronic and optoelectronic packaging, optomechanical systems, marine structures, Civil Engineering structures, automobiles, rapid transit vehicles, robots, flywheels, wind turbines, antennas, pressure vessels,weapon systems and sporting goods.
- Particularly active in advanced thermal management materials, and was the first to use Al/SiC metal matrix composites in microelectronic and optoelectronic packaging.
- Served as an expert witness on composite materials and technologies.
- Composites materials and technology.
- Composite system for advanced thermal management.
GE Astro Space - Lockheed Martin, Advanced Technology Manager and Division Fellow
- Directed the Composites Center of Excellence of the seventeen-department GE Aerospace Group.
- Led the Lockheed Martin Space and Strategic Missiles Sector Composite Structures Center of Excellence Team.
- Responsible for management of all Astro Space structural, mechanical, composite and thermal technologies.
- Chaired design, proposal and mission success reviews and served on corporate Blue Ribbon and Manufacturing Facility Review panels.
- Conducted market studies and consulted on acquisitions and joint ventures for GE Corporate Headquarters and GE Plastics, and has served as an expert witness on composite materials and composite technology.
- Du Pont
- Materials Sciences Corporation
- Jet Propulsion Laboratory.
- Provided technical services to many national, state agencies and quasi-governmental organizations, including:
- National Academy of Sciences, National Research Council; U. S. Congress Office of Technology Assessment; Bureau of Mines; Department of Defense; U. S. Air Force, Army and Navy; and the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA).
- Helped to found, and served as Technical Advisor to, the DOD Metal Matrix Composites Information Analysis Center.
- Served as Chairman of the Industrial Advisory Board, State of Virginia Center of Innovative Technology, and Institute for Materials Science and Engineering.
- Represented GE on the State of Pennsylvania Composites Technology Forum.
Honors & Publications
- Received one of only two winners of both the GE One-in-a-Thousand and Engineer of the Year Award.
- GE Outstanding Technical Presentation Award.and government symposia.
- Technical Advisor, Georgia Institute of Technology NSF Electronic Packaging Research Center.
- Adjunct Professor, University of Maine Department of Civil Engineering, Advanced Engineered Wood Composites Center.
- Visiting Advisory Board, Drexel University Department of Materials Engineering.
- Consultant to the University of Delaware Center for Composite Materials.
- External Ph. D. Examiner, University of Surrey, U.K.
- Presented well over 100 invited lectures at numerous universities, conferences, industrial organizations and government symposia, including the AIAA 50th Anniversary "Learn from the Masters" Series, and the SME Manufacturing Insights videotape series.
- Presented the Composites Tutorial Lecture at the ASM World Materials Congress, and was an invited Main Lecturer at the NATO Advanced Studies Institute on Mechanics of Composite Materials and Structures at Troia, Portugal.
- Directed and lectured at over 250 classroom, satellite broadcast, videotape, CD-ROM and online short courses in the U. S. and Europe, reaching well over 4000 participants. Course sponsors have included ASME, ASM, IEEE, the International Microelectronics and Packaging Society (IMAPS), SPIE (the International Society for Optical Engineering), Power Electronics Technology Conference, Instar Engineering and Consulting, Launchspace, UCLA, Cambridge University, the University of Maryland, the University of Surrey, and many major corporations.
- Videotape, CD-ROM and online courses have been distributed internationally.
- Awarded the UCLA Extension Certificate of Appreciation for Excellence in Teaching.
- Life Fellow of ASME International (the American Society of Mechanical Engineers).
- Fellow of ASM International (formerly the American Society for Materials) and the Society for the Advancement of Material and Process Engineering.
- Associate Fellow of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics.
- Life Member of the American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Distinguished Lecturer for AIAA, ASME International and the Joint Center for Materials Science of New Mexico (a consortium including Sandia and Los Alamos National Laboratories, the Air Force Weapons Laboratory, the University of New Mexico, and others).
- Received awards for his work from NASA, Materials Engineering and SAMPE.
- AIAA Greater Philadelphia Chapter Aerospace Professional of the Year.
- Received the Engineer of the Year award for AIAA Region.
- Founding Member and Member-at-Large of the American Society for Composites.
- Member-at-Large, ASTM Committee D30 on High-Modulus Fibers and Composites.
- Executive Committee, US-Japan Conference on Composites.
- Member, ASCE Structural Plastics Research Council.
- Editorial Board, Journal of Composite Technology and Research; Member of the International Advisory.
- Editorial Board of the international journal, Composites.
- Part A: applied science and manufacturing, Member of the International Editorial Board of Advanced Performance.
Publications and Patents
- Over 350 books, articles, lectures and short courses.
- Provided: Directed and lectured at over 250 classrooms, videotape, and CD-ROM short courses in the U.S., Europe and Asia, reaching well over 4000 participants.
- Vast lists of Patents and Clients.
Ph.D. Applied Mechanics, Polytech University
MSCE Structures, Columbia University
BCE Structures, Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art