- Retail, institutional and Quick Serve Restaurant (QSR) packaging.
- Extensive new product and package development.
- Test method development and experimental design.
- Package/product interactions and shelf-life determination.
- Studies on new materials and package structures.
- Thorough knowledge of packaging equipment and operations.
- Hands-on experience in various production facilities.
- Wide source base for new materials, packaging and co-packing.
- Plastic bottles - lightweight designs with screw closures and labeling.
- Thermoformed containers - cups and tubs with flexible heat-seal closures.
- Glass jars - threaded and lug closures.
- Metal containers - cans and coatings.
- Flexible packaging - pouches, bags, bag-in-box, heat seal lidding.
- Paper wraps - various paper grades, coatings and treatments.
- Paperboard - folding cartons, formed cartons, clamshells and sleeves.
- Corrugated - shipping containers, POS and promotional - design and cost savings.
Undisclosed Company, Packaging Consultant, 1997 - Present
- Providing packaging development consulting services that offers a high level of packaging expertise to client companies. Leveraging experience with various packaging types, materials and processes.
- Client List includes: H.J. Heinz Company, General Mills, YUM! Brands/Taco Bell, Mitsui Logistics, 7-Eleven, POM Wonderful, Whole Foods Mid-Atlantic, Dunkin Donuts, Herbalife, Pharmanex, Gilroy Foods, Kwikset/Black & Decker, Schick & Wilkinson Sword, Steuben Foods, Champion Labs, Tate's Bakery, C&S Wholesale Grocers, Gorton's Seafood, Asahi Glass Fluoropolymers, ZEP Products, Center for Culinary Development.
- Developed packaging for portable yogurt product that was first of its kind on the market, growing sales and market share for Yoplait division of General Mills.
- Developed new packaging for 7-Eleven Fresh Food and Bakery programs that communicated a higher quality image than previous packaging.
- Solved nutritional supplement shelf life issue through material selection and process improvements.
- Brought completely new packaging concept to after-market automotive air and oil filter category.
Taco Bell, Inc., Irvine, CA, 1996 - 2000
- National Manager of Packaging Development and Consultant for Taco Bell, along with KFC and Pizza Hut make up YUM! Brands, one of the largest QSR chains worldwide.
- Responsible for all packaging used in stores nationally.
- Managed group of three packaging professionals.
- Developed new packaging that improved speed of service and simplified store operations, including self-adhering cartons and redesigned carryout bags.
- Identified and implemented $10 million in annual packaging cost savings across all system packaging.
- Coordinated launches of promotional packaging under tight timelines, from package and creative development to production and implementation.
- Initiated program to write and maintain packaging specifications.
Hunt-Wesson Foods, Inc., Irvine, CA, 1986 - 1996
- Serving the positions: Project Leader, Senior Packaging Technologist, and Packaging Project Engineer.
- Brand responsibilities included: Snack Pack Pudding (Aseptic), Snack Pack Juicy Gels (Aseptic), Swiss Miss Gels (Refrigerated), J. Hungerford Smith Sauces (Aseptic), Microwave Manwich (Frozen) and Wesson Oil.
- Developed clear pudding cup material for aseptic thermoform/fill/seal machines. Soon became the industry standard for clear high-barrier TFFS cup material.
- Led the development and commercialization of a successful new bottle design and drip-free dispensing closure for a flavored cooking oil product.
- Headed technical team that developed blister-pack insert and application equipment for pudding package.
- Developed and implemented cost savings programs of over $100 million a year that included package redesigns and source reductions.
- Assured package compliance with laws and regulations regarding food safety, fair trade, transportation and environment.
- Supported packaging operations during start-up of new and modified packages.
- Purchased and installed packaging equipment to expand production capacity.
Chevron Chemical Company, Maryland Heights, MO, 1985 - 1986
- Packaging Engineering Specialist for Ortho Brand Consumer Products Division, Lawn and Garden Products Manufacturing Facility.
- Developed packaging for various agricultural chemical products, both liquid and dry.
- Monitored packaging line set-ups and wrote instructions for the line operators and mechanics.
- Performed new package qualifications on production lines for agricultural chemicals.
- Made several design improvements of existing packaging equipment that improved operating efficiencies.
Norcliff Thayer, Inc.,(Glaxo SmithKline), St. Louis, MO, Assistant Packaging Manager, 1980 - 1985
- At the manufacturing facility responsible for the scheduling and supervision of 40-60 packaging employees.
- Wrote GMP and operating manuals for department employees.
Honors & Publications
- Graduate level courses - Polymer Science Applied to Packaging, Permeability and Shelf Life, Michigan State University
- Certified Packaging Professional (CPP), Institute of Packaging Professionals (IoPP)
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Chair - IoPP Consultants Council Board of Directors
- Secretary - IoPP Consultants Council Board of Directors
- M.B.A., Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville, IL
- B.S., Packaging, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI