- Surface and colloid science, absorbency and surface modification.
- Wettable and repellent treatment for surfaces related to printing and bonding.
- Polymer and plastic applications for films and coatings for specialized functionality.
- Textiles including high performance garments for medical, industrial, consumer and military markets.
- Paper machine clothing, fiber and web finishing chemistries and processes.
- Pharmaceutical separations media, personnel care products.
- Physical chemistry including catalysts.
- Patent strategy and intellectual property for patent defense.
Independent Consultant 2003 - Present
Focus on polymer and surface science for consumer products, military textiles, consumer fabrics and textiles, biomedical devices, material testing and pharmaceutical separations.
Nextec Applications Inc., Vista, CA Vice President, Chief Technical Officer 1997 - 2003
Advanced materials manufacturer utilizing patented polymer encapsulation technology serving the medical, industrial, military and consumer markets.
- Responsible for all technical aspects of company including Research and Development and Intellectual Property.
- Spearheaded technology development, validation, and commercialization for early stage start up company resulting in development of process, controls, equipment, quality control tests and product specifications.
- Extended technology across multiple product platforms and line extensions, which took the company from zero to $10 million in revenues.
- Built, planned and managed R&D, corporate training, outreach, laboratory services and intellectual property.
- Led effort to mount 4 challenges against patent infringement resulting in successful
Waters Corporation, Milford, MA Director of RD&E 1994 - 1997
Analytical instrumentation company developing instruments and media for chemical separations serving the pharmaceutical, chemical, and research communities.
- Led since, engineering, product scale-up and transfer to production, trouble shooting and strategic business and technology planning.
- Directed of 30 scientists providing research, development and engineering.
- Completed transfer to manufacturing of 5 new product line extensions.
- Co-invented sample preparation media which resulted in 7 US patents and an IR 100 award.
Kimberly-Clark Corporation Roswell, GA; Neenah, WI 1988 - 1994
Personnel care products company specializing in products centered on absorbency and high-speed manufacturing.
- As Research Manager, responsible for development, scale-up, transfer to mill and technical support for all surface modifications. Led 22 scientists support for nonwoven finishing including wettable and repellent treatment, printing and bonding.
- Management and technical leadership for the development and commercialization of fiber
- As Associate Research Fellow, directed research effort of 19 scientists (9 PhD) on number one problem of a 2 billion dollar per year business.
- Led Absorbent Technology Patent Strategy Steering Committee.
- Initiated, developed, and/or transferred multiple projects to scale up/commercialization.
- Invented novel surface modification techniques and chemistries with substantial cost savings potential.
- Designed and conducted basic and applied research on chemistry and physics of surfaces.
Honors & Publications
- Royal Society of Chemistry, Fellow, Chartered Chemist & Chartered Scientist
- American Institute of Chemistry, Fellow
- American Association Of Textile Chemists and Colorists (AATCC), Senior Member
- Voting member of RA-63 %u201CWater Resistancy, Absorbency and Wetting Agent Evaluation Test Methods Committee
- 18 Patents
- 11 Publications and Presentations
Boston University, Boston MA, PhD, Chemistry
Boston University, Boston MA, BA, Chemistry, Cum Laude
Army Materials and Mechanics - Visiting Professor (Post Doc), Watertown MA