- Chemical engineering related to elemental phosphorus manufacturing, including phosphate salts.
- Process improvement of phosphorus plants and coke manufacturing.
- By products elemental phosphorus plant, slag handling and sales facilities, including ferrophosphorous.
- Ore washing, beneficiation tailing, pond design, operation, reclamation.
- Elemental phosphorus handling, safety and shipping.
- Plant safety auditing, emergency response for phosphorous transportation incidents.
- Remediation of environmental problems from elemental phosphorus plants.
- Environmental audits of chemical manufacturing plants.
- Closing of elemental phosphorus plants.
- Community, regulatory and government relations related to phosphorus manufacturing and site closings.
- Management excess plant land for the benefit of wildlife.
- "Brownfield" management and reuse of phosphorus manufacturing sites.
Independent Consultant 1993 - Present
MONSANTO COMPANY, Columbia, TN
Site Manager 1986 - 1993
- Managed the start up and operation of new environmental facilities, including decontamination and dismantling of equipment and facilities, sale of assets, and environmental remediation,
Plant Manager 1986
- Managed the plant operations until shutdown.
- Managed operations of three furnaces efficiently and safely at a high rate until shutdown. Managed $10 million of facilities investment to allow an environmentally safe shutdown.
Manufacturing Superintendent 1980 - 1985
- Responsible for plant manufacturing operations which included contract mining , ore washing, nodulizing, coke manufacturing, electric furnace operation to produce elemental phosphorus.
- Process included the purification and shipment of phosphorus, slag, and ferrophosphorous, and emergency response ( PERT) of hazardous shipments.
Engineering Superintendent 1975 - 1980
- Managed plant mechanical and project engineers and draftsmen doing design and installation of projects.
- Management of plant water treatment systems and an extensive tailing pond system.
Technology Superintendent 1969 - 1975
- Supervision of plant technology section consisting of about 12 -14 process engineers and technical supervisors engaged in process improvement.
- Plant environmental supervisor and managed environmental laboratory and 4 lab technicians.
Honors & Publications
- Excellent Safety during closure operations with three coveted Monsanto President%u2019s Safety Awards and a 5-year period without a recordable injury.
- Plant won 10 environmental andconservation awards during closure.
- Managed excess plant lands (4,000 acres) for the benefit of wildlife.
- BS, Chemical Engineering, University of Arkansas
- Professional Engineer, state of Tennessee
- Member-American Institute of Chemical Engineers