Adhesives and Sealants Consultant and Adhesive Innovator
Technical Consultant #1189
- Adhesive and sealant product development and applications.
- Adhesives and rubber materials (EPDM, butyl rubber, PIB) for roofing systems and windows.
- Acrylic solution resins and acrylic emulsions for primers, caulks and adhesives.
- Process development for adhesive and caulks, including formulation, mixing and packaging.
- Hot melt adhesive formulations, use and testing.
- Pressure sensitive adhesives (PSA) and block copolymers such as Kraton.
Independent Consultant 2005 - Present
ADCO Products, Inc., Michigan Center, MI, 1976 - 2005
- Manufacturer of adhesives and sealants for the architectural, automotive and commercial roofing markets.
Technical Manager, Adhesives 1993 - 2005
- Responsible for directing, developing and engineering new products from prototype to market introduction and production for acrylic pressure sensitive tapes and specialty adhesives for the automotive, commercial roofing and architectural building industries utilizing six sigma tools.
- Prepare project plans, recommend staff and facilities, train personnel, and assign programs.
- Prepare purchase specifications and technical literature for internal and external customers.
- Write patent applications (currently ten patents pending).
- Involved in the development of an EPDM based pressure sensitive adhesive for single ply roofing membranes and issued patent.
- Developed lap edge roofing sealant, resulting in U.S. patent.
- Developed solvent based adhesive composition for roofing membranes, resulting in U.S patent.
- Developed specialized acrylic based pressure sensitive adhesive tape for bonding to difficult to adhere to modified automotive paint systems.
- Improved product credibility by performing product testing and receiving approvals and listings at Underwriters Laboratories (UL) and Factory Mutual Research.
- Specify the purchasing of production raw materials used to manufacture ADCO's products.
Led development of many of new products including:
- Acrylic based pressure sensitive adhesives;
- Butyl based caulks and sealants for the automotive and architectural industries;
- EPDM based adhesives, sealants and primers for the commercial roofing industry;
- Hot melt pressure sensitive adhesives for the automotive, construction and roofing industries; and
- Polyurethane based architectural sealants.
Group Leader, Product Development 1987 - 1993
- Developed lap sealant tape for the commercial roofing industry.
- Improved the performance and lowered the raw material cost of gunnable solvent release type lap sealants, resulting in increased sales and higher profits.
- Wrote ADCO's Chemical Hygiene Plan.
Senior Development Chemist 1981 - 1987
- Involved in the development of a "Caulking Gun Nozzle" for consistently applying sealant to roofing overlaps resulting in a US patent.
- Developed lap sealant for the commercial single-ply EODM roofing industry.
Development Chemist 1976 - 1981
- Eliminated use of potentially hazardous raw materials with alternate chemistries.
- Developed specialty butyl rubber based master batches for various caulk producers.
Honors & Publications
AAMA - American Architectural Manufacturer%u2019s Association
ACS - American Chemical Society (Rubber Division)
ASTM - American Society of Testing and Materials
ERA - EPDM Roofing Association
PSTC - Pressure Sensitive Tape Council
SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers
SME - Society of Manufacturing Engineers
SPRI - Single Ply Roofing Industry
Many issued patents related to adhesives, sealants and single-ply membrane system
- BS, Chemistry and Microbiology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI
- Continuing studies toward Doctor of Science, Polymer Chemistry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI