- Medical product design and development.
- Optics - geometric, diffractive, waveguide, optical technology, optical materials, and optical systems design.
- Networks, data links and protocols.
- Fiber optics, optical sensors.
- Lasers, light systems and illumination.
- Infrared materials and technology.
- Imaging and microscopy (SEM and optical), spectroscopy.
- Signal and image processing.
- Spectroscopy, optical materials and analysis..
- Embedded computer systems and microcontrollers..
- Software and programming, embedded and high level languages.
- Electronics, embedded design.
- Sensors, data acquisition.
- Semiconductor metrology, photovoltaics and renewables.
- Project planning, management.
- ISO 9000, SPC and GMP.
- Tooling, process development.
- Market, patent research.
- Grant writing.
- Expert witness: Providing expert services in testimonials and depositions for over a dozen IP cases.
- Optical systems expert for optics sensing, control, and instrument applications, general support in optics, materials, electronics, and software.
- Developed and implemented testing and control systems, including ultra-high vacuum and cryogenic delivery systems for applications as diverse as semiconductor processing, biological sensing, nuclear accelerators, and medical device metrology.
- Technical and managerial experience of twenty years ranging from medical invasive probes, diagnostic systems, optical biotechnology to semiconductor fabrication, characterization to aerospace systems, optical networking, infrared materials and technology and communications.
- Technical expertise in semiconductor, crystalline and glass materials and devices, laser physics, optical fiber devices and sensors, networks, programming, electronics, and optics.
- Business experience in executive roles with small companies and managerial roles at federal laboratories, as well as business development, business planning and practice, program management, timelines, budgets, proposal writing, start-up, marketing and sales, operations, and program management.
- Technical expertise in programming (C/C++, embedded), electronics, and optical design.
Undisclosed Company, President and Principal, 2004 - Present
- Consulting in technology and product development (primarily medical and industrial), over 40 associates. Specialized in software and hardware (electronics, sensors, optics) development for medical devices, communications systems, and sensing.
- Core specialty areas include electronics (sensors, embedded systems, optical data transport, eCAD, programmable logic/VHDL, ARM, AVR, FPGA, DSP), software (Linux/Windows, C/C++, Java, assembly, Python), and optics (systems level design to ray trace/non-sequential modeling using Zemax, Matlab).
- Pulse oximetry and optical blood pressure monitoring
- Optical blood glucose monitoring
- Optical markers of glucose concentration in the eye (lens and aqueous humor)
- Optical pattern recognition for anti-counterfeit systems, development of optically-functional coatings
- Ophthalmic thermal therapy devices
- Design and validation of endoscopes and laryngoscopes
- Design and construction of microscope systems for fluorescent assays
- Numerous genetic assay devices based on fluorescence
- Laminar flow and lab-on-a-chip systems, colorimetric and fluorescent
- Embedded systems for dosimetry and flow measurement
- In-vivo flow measurement for insulin dosimetry
- Machine-vision flow control systems
- Monitoring of optical ablation of arterial plaque
- Design and experimentation for in-vivo optical probes
- Machine vision for computer aided surgery
- Colorimetric measurement of fluid concentration
- Design of ophthalmic instruments for early detection of eye disease
- Image processing for hyperthermia
- Robotic automated animal marking systems
- Polymer materials analysis and evaluation for angiography and angioplasty
- Hgh-speed hybrid optical-electronic data networks
- Research and experimentation on optical data storage media
- Optical semiconductor metrology
- Optical materials for packaging and tracking
- Infrared optical imaging for cancer detection
Computer Aided Surgery Associates, La Mesa, CA, Vice President of Engineering, 2006 - 2009
- Developed and demonstrated non-contact alignment system for prosthesis placement (navigation) during total knee arthroplasty (TKA).
- Image-guided system used dual-band stereoscopic camera system with image processing to analyze alignment and provide feedback to surgeons. Early sponsorship from leading orthopedic companies.
Undisclosed University, Professor of Applied Physics, 2006 - Present
- Teach and develop curriculum in electronics, optics, and physics.
- Oversee student research projects, initiate industry collaboration with university.
- Lead academician in embedded systems/electronics focus of Applied Physics program, and nascent Electrical Engineering program.
AOM, President, Fallbrook, CA, 2004 - 2006
- New technology and product development involving optical and embedded systems, from proposal and proof of concept stages through launch.
- Development of robotic systems for nebulizers, automated animal marking systems, evaluation of angioplasty catheters, non-invasive optical blood glucose monitoring, microcurrent stimulation therapy, computer-aided orthopedic surgery, drug delivery systems, and endotracheal airway management systems.
- Solar power generation and biomass processing, as well as hybrid optical networking for military vehicles.
- Responsible for overall success of the company. Business areas: polymeric optics and consulting.
- Authored business plans and patent filings, secured funding and initiated product development.
- Optical modeling and programming: modified and created new modeling extensions (WIN32 DLLs) for Zemax, various scientific models using VisualStudio and open source compilers (Bloodshed, devcpp).
- Some work with Python on Linux platform, various *nix applications and scripts.
- Developed new products and technologies, and supplier agreements with OEMs in the medical, automotive, and semiconductor industries.
- Responsible for all aspects of a product line of temperature sensors, including sales and marketing as well as product management.
- Directed a group of scientists and engineers engaged in research and development areas in novel interconnects and switches for WDM networks, unique high-density multiplexed fiber optic sensor systems, artificially-intelligent smart sensor technologies, novel devices from IR glass fiber, fiberoptic biological and chemical sensors, polymer-fiber electric field sensors, and novel materials for temperature, pH, pressure, and chemical sensors.
Tetra Tech Data Systems, Director of Sensor Technology, Carlsbad, CA, 1998 - 2004
- Responsible for overall management and technical leadership of fiber optic sensor group (6-10 scientists, engineers, salespeople, and technicians): research and development, product management, engineering, business development, sales and marketing.
- Instrument electronic design: photo receivers (e.g. low noise, high linearity and high speed), embedded processing (uC/PGA, DSP), interfacing (serial, Ethernet, some USB, displays, keypad, etc.). CPLD and limited FPGA (Xilinx) design.
- Software development: embedded processing (eZ80, 8051, x86), DSP(Analog/TI), scientific computing and numerical modeling.
- Conceived, initiated, and directed research and development and product development in thermal, acoustic, pressure, biological, chemical, and e-field sensors, as well as communications devices and systems.
- Other research and development projects: millimeter-wave, DWDM/UDWDM, wavelength cross-connects, fiber optic switches, avionics networks, and secure communications.
U.S. Naval Research Laboratory, Senior Scientist, Washington, DC, 1996 - 1998
- Development of new device applications for infrared materials and systems of mid- and long-IR devices in chalcogenide materials.
- Made the first chalcogenide (CG) fused fiber coupler and achieved the first results with single-mode IR-transmitting fiber in mid-IR scanning near-field microscopy (SNOM).
- Made Bragg gratings in IR fibers, fiber bundles and scanning systems for IR displays, 1.3 m rare-earth-doped chalcogenide fiber amplifiers, IR fibers for environmental and biomedical sensing and surgical applications, IR countermeasure and threat warning systems.
- Built electro-mechanical system for fiber tapering.
- Wrote optical amplifier modeling code in C using open source compiler (Windows platform).
- Other research and development areas: IR scene simulation, Raman amplifiers in CG, chemical sensors, microlensed fibers, photosensitive waveguides and photo-doping.
National Institute of Standards and Technology, Boulder, CO, Research Asst., 1992 - 1996
- Research and development in quantum optics and fundamental metrology of vertical-cavity surface-emitting semiconductor lasers.
- Designed laser structures for MBE growth, measured and modeled optical response.
- Research in the area of quantum optics and of vertical-cavity surface-emitting lasers (VCSELs).
- Previously worked on novel liquid phase epitaxial growth techniques for III-V solar cells, holography, and nitride semiconductor deposition techniques.
- Wrote code for multilayer dielectric modeling with complex index using Borland C++.
- Wrote instrument control software in Borland C for photon counting spectroscopy system.
- Set up, instrumented, wrote code for, and maintained optical characterization laboratory.
- Measurement techniques: reflectance PL, DCXRD, SEM, and other optical.
- Designed and built photon-counting system with noise floor of 4 photons.
- Provided primary optical characterization support for all structures grown in NIST MBE machine.
- Other research and development areas: quantum well interdiffusion, crosstalk in VCSEL arrays, angular and spectral dispersion of and spectral drift of the fundamental lasing mode in VCSELs.
Bandgap Technology Corporation, Broomfield, CO, 1989 - 1992
Senior Materials Characterization and Engineer Quality Assurance Manager
- Oversaw the production of compound semiconductor devices such as surface acoustic wave (SAW) modulators, vertical-cavity surface-emitting lasers (VCSELs), high electron mobility transistors (HEMTs), photovoltaic solar cells, and laser diodes for an industry which was then in its infancy.
- Served as primary quality control officer for a start-up compound semiconductor manufacturing company.
- Developed and maintained characterization facilities (hardware, software, training, calibration, etc).
- Wrote numerous GUI instrument control and data acquisition applications for HP Unix workstations using Xwidget and Athena toolkits.
- Responsible for analysis and interpretation of all wafer test data.
- Trained and supervised technicians and engineers, implemented SPC.
- Primary technical interface to customers.
- One of 4 lead engineers responsible for design and equipping of 2000 sq-ft Class 10 clean room.
- Techniques used: PL, photoreflectance, parametric testing, C-V profiling, Hall effect, resistivity/particulate screening, Nomarski microscopy, DCXRD, and RF device characterization.
- Set up and administered HP 9000 Unix cluster network for characterization and manufacturing.
Honors & Publications
- CAD packages including both optical and systems design (particularly embedded systems), as well as programming in C/C++, Fortran, BASIC, LabView, MatLab, MathCAD, scripting on Windows and Linux platforms, and instrumentation systems using GPIB, serial, parallel, and network interfaces.
- Developed numerous sensing and control instruments using common microcontroller platforms (AVR, AT90, 8051, z80, PIC, MSP, etc) and is well versed in electronic design.
- Conversational fluency in French.
Publications and Patents
- Over 30 patent disclosures and two patents.
- Executive Editorial Board, Fiber and Integrated Optics
- Over 30 patent applications and 5 issued patents
- Ph.D. Physics, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO
- Sc.M. Physics, Brown University, Providence, RI
- B.A. Physics, Whitman College, Walla Walla, WA.