International Markets for Specialty and Fine Chemicals and Technology
Technical Consultant #1147
- Senior executive with broad international experience, including over 25 years in the chemical and related industries.
- Technology assessment, global management, commercial development.
- Strong Experience with international business management, commercial development and strategic planning.
- Technology focusing and transfer.
- Cross-cultural Development.
- Unique management experience in bio/fine specialties for major European chemical manufacturers.
- International management experience working and living in France, Japan, the Netherlands, Russia, and the United States
- Extensive experience with multinational technical/cultural interfaces within organizations.
Undisclosed Company, 1997 - Present
- Managing Director, Philadelphia, U.S.A. and Paris, France, 2003 - Present
- Co-founder and principal strategist for a private consulting and technology transfer firm specializing in fine and specialty chemicals, pharmaceuticals, additives for plastics, and international business management.
Ozark Flourine Specialties, Philadelphia, Director of Business Development, 2000 - 2003
- Responsible for the strategic development of the Fluorine Specialties business, including strategic planning, marketing, product licensing, joint ventures, new business development and technology acquisition.
Elf Atochem Group, Philadelphia, USA, 1981 - 2000
- General Manager, 1996 - 2000
- Managed the worldwide Inorganic Fluorine Specialties business, including P&L responsibility, marketing, product licensing, joint ventures, and technology acquisition prior to and during the divestiture process.
- Business Manager (Elf Atochem Agri, S.A., Plaisir, France), 1995 - 1996
- Sales of 380 million FF (75 million USD).
- Responsible for the development and international expansion of pre-harvest products.
- Director of Technology (Akishima Chemical Industries, Tokyo, Japan), 1993 - 1995
- Responsible for worldwide technology transfer of plastic additive products and their commercial development within Elf Atochem Japan with sales of $24 million.
- Department Head (Bio & Fine Division Industrial Specialties, CECA, S.A.,France), 1989 - 1993
- Directed European operations with P&L responsibility for an annual turnover of $35 million, involving over 180 employees.
- Market Manager (M&T Chemicals, New Jersey, U.S.A.), 1981 - 1989
- Business management responsibility for several product lines of the North American subsidiary including fine chemicals, plastic additives and industrial products.
Ferro Corporation, Product Manager International Division, Cleveland, OH, USA, 1977 - 1981
- Monitored financial and operational results of six foreign subsidiaries and joint ventures.
- Performed technology audits and acquisition analyses.
Other Professional Experience, 1970 - 1977
- North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chemistry Professor
- University of Minnesota, Chemistry Professor
- Moscow State University (USSR), Senior Fulbright Professor
- Environmental Protection Agency, Control Systems Laboratory
Honors & Publications
- Association of Consulting Chemists and Chemical Engineers, Certified
- English - mother tongue
- French - read, write, and speak fluently
- Russian - conversational
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Fulbright Alumni Association, Board of Directors
- Americours, Board of Directors
- Consultant to the Council for International Exchange of Scholars.
- American Chemical Society
- Commercial Development and Marketing Association.
- Bolton Society.
- Licensing Executives Society.
- Robert Boyle Society.
Publications and Patents
- Over 35 publications in the field of fine chemicals and plastics.
- Co-editor of the Handbook of Reagents.
- Author of 'Survival Manual for Academic Exchange Visitors to the Soviet Union.'
- Ph.D. Organometallic Chemistry, Massachusetts Institute of Technology