Safety Consultant for Chemical Storage and Handling, Laboratory Safety and Health and Expert on Job Hazard Analysis
Technical Consultant #1141
- Industrial hygiene.
- Laboratory safety and health.
- Biological safety and safe practice.
- JHA/Job Hazard Analysis.
- SOP's for hazardous work.
- Hazard communication and Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS).
- HAZWOPER management.
- Process safety.
- OSHA, EPA, DOT standards and compliance expert.
- Emergency response.
- Evacuation plans.
- Safety and health audits and policies and procedures.
- Training and education.
- Lead, asbestos and other hazards.
- Employee exposure sampling.
- Office ergonomics.
- Chemical storage and handling and chemical inventory management.
Independent Consultant, 1998 Present
- Hazardous Chemicals: Storage, handling and disposal of flammable and combustible materials.
- Laboratory safety and health audits and chemical inventory management.
- MSDS training.
- Employee exposure testing for pesticides applicators and respiratory device fit testing.
- Reviewed effectiveness of Safety and Hazard programs and developed curricula for Job Hazard Analysis for hazardous work activities.
- Formulated a confined spaces plan for construction workers at pre-mixed concrete multi-site facilities in Texas and Florida.
National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, Senior Industrial Hygienist, 1988 - 1998
- Provided expert guidance and consultation in support of occupational, heath, safety and environmental programs administered for the biomedical research community related NIH service personnel.
- Responsible for interpretative advice on OSHA, DOT, EPA and related standards, hazard communication and MSDS compliance.
- NIH Laboratory safety and health procedures for storage and handling of hazardous chemicals.
- Developed SOPs for chemical profiles and hazardous waste disposal including the use of personal protective equipment.
- Developed written programs for NIH-HCP providing ongoing technical support for the NIH Biosafety Research Facilities.
Office of Special and Experimental Programs, Occupational Safety and Health Administration, Washington, DC, Industrial Hygienist, 1978 - 1988
- Responsible for development and review of policies and procedures for OSHA Field Compliance.
- Managed OSHA Program for Approval of Laboratories for Blood Lead Analysis.
- Developed a proficiency testing for blood lead analysis administered by CDC for over four hundred laboratories nationwide.
- Compiled and published the List of Approved Laboratories.
- Provided interpretive guidance and technical consultation on health issues involving engineering controls and abatement procedures for compliance with OSHA Health Standards.
- Prepared official responses to controlled correspondence from Congressional or Executive Offices and the public and private sector, for the Assistant Secretary of Labor for OSHA.
- Performed liaison activities with other government agencies, including NIOSH, CDC, EPA, HCFA and DOD branches.
OSHA, Compliance Safety and Health Officer, Syracuse, NY, Senior Industrial Hygienist, 1975 - 1978
- Conducted programmed compliance industrial hygiene and safety inspections, primarily wall-to-wall, in the performance of field enforcement activities in the central and northern parts of New York State.
- Alleged violations of OSHA regulations were reported, citations drafted and fines assessed with recommendations to the area and regional directors for insurance.
- Conducted sampling and analysis of employee exposure to airborne and physical hazards; completed a full series of OSHA training programs; developed and participated in the training of other CSHOs and employees in the private sector.
Honors & Publications
- NSF Postdoctoral Research Associate, National Bureau of Standards, Washington, DC
- Certified in Comprehensive Practice of Industrial Hygiene, CIH
- New York State permanent Teaching Certificate, Science, Chemistry and Mathematics.
- Ph.D. Organic Chemistry, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA
- M.S. Organic Chemistry, University of Detroit, Detroit, MI
- B.A. Chemistry, Alfred University, Alfred, NY