- Organic Chemist and Medicinal Chemist with laboratory for experiments and custom organic synthesis.
- Intellectual property and patent expert.
- Patent infringement and patent validation expert.
- Medicinal Chemist with extensive drug discovery and lead optimization accomplishments in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Strong academic organic chemistry experience.
- Discovered novel, potent heterocyclic and peptide mimetic enzyme inhibitors and receptor antagonists with good permeability and bioavailability properties.
- Good working knowledge of biochemistry and pharmacology.
- Strong patent and publication record.
- Medicinal Chemistry - Pharmaceutical compound lead selection and optimization, analog synthesis.
- Custom synthesis of organic molecules including pharmaceuticals and active ingredients (API), key intermediates and building blocks for medicinal chemistry.
- Process research and development and production of small quantities of pharmaceutical chemicals.
Expert Witness Experience
- Expert witness and fact witness: Analyzed patents, performed laboratory experiments in support of patent litigation, and testified at high-profile pharmaceutical patent trials.
Independent Consultant, 2001 - Present
- Specialize in pharmaceutical patent litigation cases requiring laboratory investigation.
- Organic and medicinal chemistry expert witness and fact witness in more than a dozen pharmaceutical patent litigation cases.
- Testified in two high-profile cases.
- Considerable patent experience. Wrote the genus and examples for the 15 U.S. patents obtained, and worked closely with patent attorneys and patent agents to construct the claims.
- Consulted for intellectual property firms.
- Performed experiments to establish the validity of patent claims. This work frequently involved generic drugs and patent infringement cases.
- Founded chemistry laboratory located near Philadelphia, which is fully equipped to conduct custom organic synthesis and contract medicinal chemistry research. Also work as consultant in medicinal chemistry and organic chemistry.
- Custom organic synthesis and medicinal chemistry; preparing compounds including enzyme inhibitors, receptor antagonists, enzyme substrates, and synthetic intermediates for the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries.
Cephalon, Inc., West Chester, PA, Principal Chemist, Sr. Scientist - Medicinal Chemistry, 1992 - 2001
Treatment of Cerebral Ischemia and Cancer
- PARP: Designed novel, potent, selective heterocyclic heterocyclic inhibitors of poly(ADP-ribose)polymerase and properties.
- Optimized potency and properties of screening hit to provide lead molecule. Lead compounds cross blood-brain barrier, and reduce infarct volume in cerebral ischemia.
- Calpain: Designed laboratories, coordinated a multidisciplinary team of 20 biochemists, pharmacologists, cell biologists and medicinal chemists to evaluate hypotheses and plan new directions.
- Designed and synthesized novel peptide-mimetic and non-peptide cell-permeable calpain inhibitors with new enzyme-reactive groups for neurodegenerative therapy.
Berlex Laboratories, Cedar Knolls, NJ, Scientist, Medicinal Chemistry, 1987 - 1992
Cardiovascular drug research and development
- As project Leader directed group of medicinal chemists in synthesis of enzyme inhibitors and peptide mimetics.
- Designed and synthesized highly potent endothelin converting enzyme inhibitors.
- Investigated mechanism of epoxysuccinate class of cysteine protease inhibitors.
- Identified novel peptide-mimetic construct which was incorporated into angiotensin II.
- Performed molecular modeling on peptides, peptide mimetics, and enzyme inhibitors.
State University of New York, Stony Brook, NY, 1980 - 1987
Assistant Professor of Chemistry. Synthetic Organic and Bio-Organic Chemistry
- Synthesized biologically significant natural products: Biotin, oudenone, civet acid, C-glycoside antibiotics, lignans, tetrahydroisoquinolines. Generation and utilization of a-halo ethers and oxonium ions in synthesis.
- Regioselectivity of Pictet-Spengler reaction.
- Determined structures of crown gall tumor metabolites.
- Wrote computer software programs for literature reference retrieval and elemental analysis.
University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, 1978 - 1980
NIH Postdoctoral Fellow. Organic Synthesis and Structure Elucidation
- Synthesized natural products; introduced chirality via microbial transformation.
- Isolated and elucidated structures of compounds with smooth muscle-contracting activity (Leukotriene and G-acid) from animal tissue; determined mechanism of action.
- Performed smooth-muscle contractility assays.
University of California, Graduate Student, Organic Chemistry, Berkeley, CA, 1972 - 1978
- Synthesized antitoxin-a via intramolecular cyclization of iminium ion.
- Isolated and determined structure of saxitoxin, potent marine neurotoxin.
- Developed sensitive oxidative fluorescence assay for saxitoxin.
Honors & Publications
- 50 Publications
- Numerous Presentations and Seminars
- 15 Patents
- Ph.D. Organic Chemistry, University of California, Berkeley, NY
- B.S. Chemistry, State University of New York, Stony Brook, NY