- Food safety analytical support and Division Chief for state of Ohio.
- Characterizing processing/structure/properties of polymers (monolayer and multilayer blown and cast packaging films, laminates, resins, blends, adhesives).
- Led efforts in environmental air testing for EPA compliance and engineering studies.
- Expert in thermal analysis (DSC, TGA, DMA), rheology, physical testing, spectroscopy (XRD, XRF, IR, NMR), X-ray imaging (CT, DR, RTR), surface analysis (AFM, XPS, SEM, interferometry), chromatography (GC/MS, IC, HPLC, LC/MS), and microbiology (PCR, ELISA, PFGE).
- Directed government regulatory laboratory responsible for identifying trace organic contaminants and additives in a variety of matrices and microbiological contaminants in food.
- Implemented quality improvement programs using SPC, LIMS, ISO-9001, ISO-17025, and statistical analysis.
- Directed laboratory programs to characterize chemical and structural changes under conditions simulating processing environments. Applications included: organic coating stability, mineral beneficiation, catalyst activation, and identification of hazardous volatiles.
- Let effort for refurbished chromatography laboratory design and start up.
Ohio Department of Agriculture, Reynoldsburg, OH 2001-2003
- Division Chief - Consumer Analytical Laboratory
- Managed regulatory laboratory responsible for ensuring safety of food supply to state of Ohio by testing for microbiological and chemical contamination and additives in dairy products, meat, fresh produce, plant material, and animal feed.
- Chaired Governor's Interagency Laboratory Director's Group.
Ashland Specialty Chemicals Company, Dublin, OH 1996-2001
- Coordinator - Analytical Materials Science Programs/Principal Scientist
- Managed and coordinated analytical support to diversified specialty chemicals company in order to increase/retain sales, solve production problems and provide customer support. Also coordinated implementation of information technology and statistical processes in analytical section.
James River Corporation, Milford, OH 1994-1996
- Manager, Analytical Service, Packaging Technical Center
- Coordinated analytical support to food and consumer packaging business development projects, manufacturing plants, and sales/marketing force.
Universal Systems, Solon OH 1993-1994
- Product Manager, NDE Systems
- Developed U.S. and international markets and identified and coordinated product improvements for CT scanners, new NMR analyzer, and imaging software used in geophysical applications.
British Petroleum, Cleveland OH 1978-1992
- Group Leader II/Research Scientist II, Structural Analysis Branch, Analytical Science Division.
- Supervised groups and teams responsible for developing, improving, evaluating, implementing, and applying materials characterization techniques for supporting research programs, manufacturing operations, and marketing by (1) characterizing processing, structure and properties of polymer, and composite materials and components and (2) detecting and measuring defects in process equipment.
Honors & Publications
- Analytical Laboratory Managers Association
- Sigma Xi Scientific Research Honorary Society
- Ph.D., M.S. Materials Science and Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
- B.S. Materials Science and Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY