- Pulp and Paper Manufacturing: wood pulp (bleached and unbleached, kraft, sulfite, groundwood and deinked fibers), cotton fiber pulp and various grades of paper.
- Extensible Paper: Installation and operation of machinery to make extensible paper by the process formerly known as the CLUPAK process.
- Paper mill environmental management.
- Paper recycling.
- Specialty paper product development.
- Paper mill chemical safety.
- Paper production and safety training.
Expert Witness Experience
- Rendered opinions and testimony preparation in a patent infringement case involving the lazar slitting of carbonless forms.
Independent Consultant and Educator, 2001 - Present
- Administered general science, chemistry and mathematics classes to high school students.
Undisclosed Company Belen, NM, Consultant, 1996 - 2000
- Principal and owner of a company providing technology, information and technical services to paper companies foreign and domestic.
- The emphasis was on service to manufacturers of extensible paper.
- Provided start-up services for new and relocated used equipment.
Clupak Co., Inc., New York, NY; Technical Manager and Service Engineer, 1993 - 1995
- A company that provided technology for making extensible paper (primarily for sack paper).
- Information and technical services were provided to licensees, foreign and domestic.
- Mill visits were made to assist licensees in production efficiency and maintenance of quality.
Esleeck Manufacturing Company, Turners Falls, MA, Consultant, 1987 - 1993
- Worked independently as a technical consultant for this small paper company that manufactured specialty papers. Some products were made of cotton fiber.
- Emphasis on providing services to paper mills.
- Served clients in a variety of industries:
- Programs to reduce effluent discharges.
- Feasibility studies.
- Evaluation of solid waste for potential hazardous materials.
- Set up SARA sec. 313 and OSHA hazard communication programs.
- Waste minimization.
- Employee training and generation of training materials.
Corporate Technical Director, 1979 - 1987
- The unique expertise of the company was the manufacture of light weight papers and papers with unusually low opacity.
- Oversaw the technical efforts of the company:
- Quality control.
- Product development.
- Environmental management including administration of the NPDES discharge permit.
- Managed the hazardous waste program.
- Provided safety training to employees.
The Georgia-Pacific Corporation Mill, Gary, IN, Technical Director, 1974 - 1979
- Produced paper toweling completely from secondary fiber including ground wood pulp that had been deinked.
- Served as a technical consultant to a sister mill that made tissue paper.
- Provided technical oversight of the mill's operations:
- Quality control and quality assurance of incoming raw materials.
- Specified and ordered chemicals.
- Environmental management of the mill.
- Treatment plant operator of record.
Nekoosa Edwards Paper Company, Port Edwards, WI, Senior Research Scientist
- Ran several mills that made printing and writing grades of paper.
- Worked in the Research Department, with research group focused on process control.
- Applied chemical, engineering, mathematics and computer skills to projects related to control of papermaking processes:
- Development of on line instruments to measure and control optical properties of paper.
- A feasibility study that determined that a proposed method of controlling kraft digesters was worth pursuing.
- This included laboratory studies that essentially replicated functions of the process control computer.
Honors & Publications
- New Mexico Secondary School Educator's License, Step II with endorsements in:
- Private Pilot License (single engine land)
- Instrument rating
- Medical certificate
- Industrial Waste Water Operator's License, Class D; Indiana
- German: Proficient spoken and in writing
- Spanish: (limited) speak, read and write
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- CAS - American Chemical Society
- TAPPI - Technical Association of the Pulp and Paper Industry
- M.S Organic Chemistry, Northwestern University, Evanston, Ill
- B.S. Pulp & Paper Technology, The Institute of Paper Chemistry, Appleton, WI