- Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) formulations, compounding, mixing and applications.
- Formulations, compounding and mixing of elastomers.
- Polymer modifiers: Coupling agents, surface modifiers, blowing agents and wetting agents.
- Flame retardants additives, with consideration to smoke and toxic gas generation.
- Flame retardant systems based on phosphorous-bromide, antimony-halogen and non-halogen chemistries.
- Flame retardant test methods and evaluations.
- Glass fiber reinforcements, roving, chopped, woven and new grades.
- PVC lubricants and plasticizers.
- PVC performance: Color, base resins, thermal stability, UV stability end use durability.
- Assessment of possible interaction of PVC chemistry with mechanical devices.
- Landfill biodegradation of flexible PVC material systems.
Expert Witness Experience
- Rubber and plastics formulating expert testimony.
- Provided expert reports for a case involving a mining explosion mixing plant containing zinc oxide.
- Alleged hazard from lead stabilized vinyl mini-blinds.
- For the U.S. District Court in Ohio, developed method for heating hose remediation in the field expert report resulted in new method now in use.
- Deposition and trial testimony related to fitness for service of portable voting machines.
- Expert witness for a manufacture involving trade secrets.
Independent Consultant, Present
Halstab, Technical Director, 1995 - 2004
- Supplier of lubricants and stabilizers for rubber and plastics.
Synthetic Products Co, Technical Director,Vice President, Research and Development, 1984 - 1995
- Developed and manufactured lubricants and stabilizers for rubber and plastics.
- During tenure authored numerous publications and developed patents.
Montedison USA, Technical Service Manager, 1982 - 1983
- Provided technical service fluoroelastomers (FKM), EPDM rubber, peroxides and related products.
Polysar, Inc., Senior Technical Advisor, 1978 - 1982
- Liaison between custom mixing facilities and staff and product sales.
- Sales and technical service to worldwide customers.
- Part of management team for acquisitions.
- On corporate technology advisory board.
Polymer Services, Technical Director, 1971 - 1978
- Directed the compounding of rubber and plastics formulations.
- Developed several hundred compounds for a wide variety of applications.
Cooke Color & Chemical Co., Research Director, 1968 - 1971
- Responsible for testing, product development, and technical service.
- Supported the largest custom mixer (at that time) of rubber and plastic compositions in the U.S. with 11 mixing lines running rubber, PE, PVC, and styrenics.
- Developed the first commercial radiation cross linkable wire insulation compounds.
Norton Co., Group Leader, 1963 - 1968
- As Group Leader for the New Products department: Led Research and Developing group which filed over 30 patents.
- New product development in adhesive, release coatings for pressure sensitive tapes and coated abrasives.
- Member of Norton corporate Research and Development Board.
Anaconda Wire & Cable Co, Chemist, 1957 - 1961
- Rubber and plastic composition mixing and testing.
- Compounded PVC, PE, Neoprene, butyl and SBR elastomers.
- Developed components for the distant early warning line and for missile ignition cables.
- While employed at Anaconda, awarded 2 new patents and authored several publications.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Fellow of the Society of Plastics Engineers, Chairman of the Vinyl and the Polymer Additives and Modifiers Divisions.
- Chairman, Mid-Atlantic Rubber & Plastics Group, subdivision of the American Chemical Society.
- Norton corporate Research and Development Board-Member.
Publications and Patents
- Author and Editor of numerous publications, lectures and handbooks.
- Over 20 U.S. and international patents.
- Ph.D. Physical Chemistry, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN
- A.B. Chemistry, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, NY