- Coal and biomass gasifier design.
- Gasification to produce synthesis gas for gasoline, diesel or ethanol.
- Alternate processes for hydrogen generation.
- Gas reforming and product separation.
- Electrical power generation based on municipal waste and biomass.
- Product and process development; conceptual process plant design.
- Waste heat and energy recovery processes.
- Crushing, grinding separation and materials handling.
- Mechanical equipment design, conceptual to shop drawings (AutoCad.)
Independent Consultant, 1993 - Present
- Use of lignite as alternative to charcoal cooking briquettes in Haiti.
- Accelerated simulation of centrifugal pump parts for erosion studies.
- Study of heavy metal trace emissions from in coal derived fuel gases.
- Measurement of unique properties of lignite and identification of novel uses.
- Measurement of reaction rates and catalyst effectiveness in coal gasification.
- Hydrogen from low rank coals by catalytic gasification - Laboratory and pilot plant.
- Experimental concepts for erosion-free valves for high pressure slurry processes.
- Novel method to measure hardness of fine granular solids, for abrasion prediction.
- Pilot scale coal and slurry combustion, to compare emissions and boiler tube fouling.
- Hydrothermally enhanced coal and wood fuel slurries for boilers and diesel engines
- Preliminary design of super-cyclone for hot gas cleanup and hydrogen concentration.
- Equipment design and project reporting for large pilot- coal gasification project.
- Comparison of renewable energy technologies for small sites or incremental capacity.
- Small lab-scale evaluation of catalytic gasification process parameters (bituminous coals, lignite and wood) for integration with molten carbonate fuel cells
R&D in advanced alternative energy.
- US Air Force: Construction cost estimation and project needs assessment. Compressed natural gas vehicle fueling system design.
- United Power Association (Electric utility, Minnesota)
- Energy Research Corporation: Fuel Cells
- ThermoChem: Process evaluation, Reformer/gasifier reactors and processes.
University of North Dakota, Energy and Environmental Research Center, 1982 - 1994
Senior Research Engineer & Project Manager,
- In charge of pilot and bench scale project to developed lab-scale simulation system to measure reaction rates and catalyst effectiveness in coal gasification processes.
- Catalytic gasification to produce hydrogen from low rank coals laboratory and pilot plants construction and operation.
- Evaluation of catalytic gasification process parameters (bituminous coals, lignite and wood) for integration with molten carbonate fuel cells.
- Extension of coal technology to plantation-grown wood for slurry fuels (oil substitute).
- Hydrothermal fuel slurries for boilers and diesel engines.
- Experimental development of erosion-free valve concepts for high pressure slurry processes.
- Development of novel super-cyclone for hot gas cleanup and hydrogen concentration.
Stearns-Roger Engineering Co., Senior Process Engineer, 1980 - 1982
- Plant engineering and project reporting for pilot-scale (30,000-SCFH) coal gasification project.
Dresser Ind., Advanced Technology. Center, Process Engineer, 1973 - 1980
- Capital equipment R&D, technology forecasting, consulting to manufacturing divisions and evaluation of inventions/acquisitions in the areas of coal and mineral beneficiation, coal gasification and liquefaction, oil shale, waste heat and energy recovery, hydrocarbon vapor emission recovery, and agricultural and forest waste reclamation.
- Santa Fe International: Process Engineer, Marine loading pipeline terminals, piping design and equipment specification.
- Ralph Stone & Company: Solid waste composting R&D. Supervised sea water treatment pilot plant.
- Stanford Research Institute: Pilot lab and feasibility studies of solid waste separation and reclamation focused on separation of wood chips from bark and glass recovery from municipal solid waste by multi-stage air separation.
- Jacobs Engineering: Project engineering, refineries and chemical plants. Responsible for analysis of large borax plant steam system and recommendations for expansion.
- Atlantic Richfield Co. R&D Center: Refinery and petrochemical process economics
- Hunt Wesson Foods, R&D Dept.: Designed, built, operated and supervised pilot plant for continuous hydrogenation of vegetable oils.
Honors & Publications
More than 40 publications, such as:
- "Gassificatoi Biomasses-Celle a Combustible."
- "Economic Analysis of Compressed Natural Gas for Vehicle Fueling..."
- "Trace Metal Transformations in Gasification." Advanced Coal-Fired Power Systems.
- "Biomass Energy Conversion - Conventional Advanced Technologies."
- "Feasibility of Using Industrial and Urban Wastes for Electric Power by Gasification Combined with Fuel Cells or Gas Engines in the Minneapolis Area."
- M. S. Mechanical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley
- B. S. Process Engineering, University of California, Berkeley