- Sensor expert, particluarly optical sensors.
- Development and application of analytical instrumentation and their use of sensors.
- Development and manufacturing of specialized instruments, miniaturized instrumentation and use of optical sensor-oriented systems.
- Expert for optical sensor devices for automotive applications such as oil, fuels and lubrication measurement.
- Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR) application and marketing.
- Sensor expert witness services for analytical, spectroscopic and instrumental litigation.
Undisclosed Company, Owner and Proprietor, 1999 - Present
- Consultant with a focus on instrumentation and instrument-based applications.
- Optical sensor expert for use in the development and manufacturing of specialized instruments and miniaturized instrumentation.
- Technology and application of optical sensor oriented systems.
Undisclosed Company, CTO, 2002 - Present
- Responsible for the development of new optical sensor devices for automotive applications in the field of lubrication, related functional fluids, fuels and emissions control systems.
microSpectral Sensing, LLC, Wilton, ME, VP Technology, Founding Partner, 2003 - 2007
- Responsible for the development of new miniaturized spectral sensors for process control, industrial and environmental, and life science applications.
On-Site Analysis, Inc., Palm Beach Gardens, FL, Director of Technologies (Consultant), 1997 - 2001
- Directed R&D and responsible for the development of new integrated analyzers for specialist applications in the field of lubrication and related functional fluids.
- Developed the OSA-II On-Site oil analyzer, featured nationally at chains such as Jiffy Lube and Midas.
University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN, MCEC (served as Center Director), 1999 - 2001
- Adjunct professor of chemical engineering.
- Consulted on industrial projects for the Measurement and Control Engineering Center (MCEC).
Perkin-Elmer Corporation, Wilton, CT, Real-Time Systems Division, 1974 - 1996
- Dual responsibility covering technology development, product management and technical marketing for the division.
- As Senior Staff Scientist, Infrared Product Department, management of infrared applications and specification of new products, software and hardware.
- Infrared sensor for consumer and oil and petroleum products.
- Presentation of technical lectures, papers and published articles, technical support for customers and sales, target marketing in key industry sectors.
- As Chief Chemist, Infrared Product Department, management of IR applications, management of IR software products, worldwide marketing and applications support for UK-based IR products, presentation and preparation of technical papers.
Nicolet Instrument Corp., Madison, WI, Analytical Division, Director, 1988 - 1992
- Executive management of a division focused on the development of new products and markets for FTIR technology for process and environmental applications.
Spectra-Tech Inc., Stamford, CT, Director of Marketing, 1985 - 1988
- Marketing of FTIR accessories, general applications support, world-wide customer and OEM support.
- Established Spectra-Tech (Europe) Limited, in UK with business growth from $3.7 million to $11.7 million.
Burmah-Castrol Co., Labs., Bracknell, Berks, U.K., Analytical Chemist & Chromatography Manager, 1964 - 1974
- Development of analytical methods for research and development and manufacturing (worldwide), key customer support.
- Areas of analytical expertise: TLC, IR, UV, NMR and Raman spectroscopy, and non-aqueous electrochemistry.
Educator and Teaching Activities
- Slough College of Technology (now Thames Valley University), degree-level Chemistry.
- ACS Short Course, "Analytical FTIR Spectroscopy."
- GMI Short Course, "Infrared Spectroscopy."
- CfPA (Center for Professional Advancement), USA and Netherlands, Short Course, "Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy."
- FBI Training Course, FBI Academy, Quantico, VA, Semi-annual course on "Infrared Spectroscopy for Trace Analysis," Spectral Interpretation.
- Custom Courses: Miscellaneous custom training courses for industry - main subjects are spectroscopy and instrumentation.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Fellow, Royal Society of Chemistry (FRSC), Chartered Chemist (CChem) and Chartered Scientist (Csci)
- Society of Applied Spectroscopy (SAS)
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- Coblentz Society - Past governing board member
- Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers (SPIE)
- Instrument Society of America (ISA)
- Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- Analytical Methods for the Characterization of Synthetic Lubricants.
- Graduate, Royal Society of Chemistry, with honors, student award, Slough, College of Technology (now Thames Valley University).
- Over 100 papers, articles, chapters, books and patents published in domestic and international journals, magazines and books since.
- Ph.D. Chemistry, University of West London, Brunel, U.K.