- Paint and polymer analysis and testing.
- Measurement of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC) in paints and related materials.
- Laboratory certification.
- Improving laboratory measurement results.
- Laboratory information management systems (LIMS).
- Managing and standardizing pharmaceutical stability testing.
- Administrative support.
- Project management.
- Quality management and continuous improvement.
- Streamlining laboratory operations.
- Pharmaceutical analytical and Quality Control (QC) laboratories.
- Provided Expert Witness support for an insurance claim involving paint coatings and polymers.
Independent Consultant, 1994 - Present
- Assignments have included setting up a quality system for a small paint company, expert witness support and insurance claims support involving coatings and polymers, laboratory certification for a pharmaceutical firm, team leader on an ANDA project.
- Director and instructor in short courses in VOCs and HAPs in paint and other products, and problem solving in chemical analysis.
The CECON Group, Inc., Wilmington, DE, Vice President, 1995 - Present
- Administration and management of consulting assignments in all aspects of science and engineering, with a specialty in pharmaceuticals and coatings.
The DuPont Merck Pharmaceutical Co., Wilmington, DE, Associate Director, 1991 - 1994
- Organized and led a project to optimize, standardize and computerize stability operations throughout DuPont Merck to streamline company development and manufacturing analytical operations and reduce operating costs by $3.5 million per year.
E. I. DuPont de Nemours & Co., Wilmington, DE and Philadelphia, PA , 1962 - 1991
Senior Research Associate
- Designed and implemented one of the first research and development LIMS applications in DuPont.
- Organized Corporate LIMS resources throughout DuPont.
- Led department-wide measurement quality improvement project for paints and polymers.
- Upgraded department's methods management system.
- Co-developed DuPont method management "best practice."
- Authored and co-authored some of the VOC methods now mandated by EPA for paint.
- Organized an international symposium on the analysis of paint and related materials and edited a book based on it.
- Established quality systems and worked with top management in marketing, manufacturing, research and development,finance and international to identify and reduce $50-$100 million in costs associated with poor quality in a $2 billion department.
- Reduced out of specification shipments 10 fold.
- Set up and managed systems to teach, measure and manage quality performance in marketing, manufacturing and research and development primarily in paints, polymers and fabricated products.
- Managed large analytical and physical measurement group for paints and polymers.
- Doubled output and reduced turnaround times without increasing budget.
- Provided technical support for 10 Quality Control labs.
- Developed one of the first standard tests for lead in paint.
- Developed and implemented QC test package for antifreeze.
- Invented new kind of laundry bleach.
- First in company to apply polarography, recording titrimetry, ion selective electrodes, thin layer chromatography, and atomic absorption spectroscopy to paint problems.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- ASTM International - D01, Paints and related materials
- American Chemical Society - Past Chairman of 5000 member Section
- Founder of Chemical Consultants Network - the first organization for consultants in ACS
- W. C. Golton, Editor, "Analysis of Paints and Related Materials: Current Techniques for Solving Coatings Problems" ASTM STP #1119
- Ph.D. Analytical Chemistry, University of Iowa
- B.S. Chemistry, University of Kentucky