- Mechanical systems engineering for commercial and military aviation for commercial and military clients.
- Fuel, propulsion, and mechanical systems, systems in control and software.
- FAA certification.
- Environmental control systems.
- Comprehensive independent engineering evaluations.
- Causation assessment as to a reasonable degree of probability.
- Evaluating options for design improvements or reasons for impairment
- Specifying and identifying tests or quality improvements.
- Assessing appropriateness of design details.
Expert Witness Experience
- Reports, depositions, and trials, specializing in FAA design regulations, mechanical and fuel system design of aircraft.
Aloft Aeroarchitects, Georgetown, Certification Engineer, 2016
- Contract engineer for Organization Delegation Authority (ODA for FAA)
- International certification involving Satellite and Portable Electronic Devices (PEDs), a radome, fuselage and cabin modifications and fuel systems.
Boeing, Oklahoma City, OK and Everett, WA, 1987 - 2015
Fuel System Engineer, 2009 - 2015
- Contract Engineer for Boeing on the KC-135 Tanker program.
- Worked with B-52 and "Airforce One."
- Focal for the KC-135 fuel system modeling project.
- Utilized Boeing Seattle efforts and Matlab/Simulink to support Houston efforts to create the Matlab/Easy5 fuel system model.
- Coordinated with Fluid Dynamics model results on accident investigation.
- Task Manager for the Fuel Cell Engineering Assignment (EA), which was a project to scan and reverse-engineer aircraft fuel cavities and related equipment and determine the cause of fit problems.
- Coordinated and directed efforts of engineering teams.
- Analyzed dynamic fuel slosh by directing Fluid Dynamics modelling.
- Developed specification for fuel bladders.
- Knowledge of P187, P178 and other Boeing Propulsion group analysis.
ECS Test Engineer, Everett, WA, 2007 - 2009
- Supported the 747-8 Environmental Control Systems (ECS) Bleed Air lead engineer in the area of analysis and test.
- Ran analysis computer programs including MATLAB and EASY5.
- Coordinated with a French supplier.
- Coordinated procurement of Boeing-designed equipment needed in France for testing support.
- Wrote Functional Tests.
- Created an Access database to track requirement compliance.
- Analyzed ground/flight test results.
- Managed GE Flying Test Bed flight testing of the ECS system.
Fuel System Engineer, Long Beach, CA, Fuel System Engineer, 2001 - 2002
- Cost reduction effort project engineer on the 717.
- SFAR-88 analysis and compliance, with focus on electrostatics and external heating hazards, including testing.
Certification Engineer, Renton, WA, 1995 -1999
- Revised procedures which describe and govern the Designated Engineering Representative (DER) System at Boeing.
- Responsible for overall DER training.
- Taught the DER portion of the Airplane Certification Continuing Airworthiness Course available to all Boeing personnel and others.
- Edited and published the DER Newsletter (circulation 900) coordinating improvements to the DER Database (maintained on a PC system).
- Coordinated Boeing responses to certain regulatory issues involving the FAA.
Propulsion Engineer, Renton, Seattle, WA, 1987 - 1995
- Hired as a contract engineer in 1987, became a permanent Boeing employee in 1992 in order to serve as a DER for the Renton Fuels group.
- Models included B-2, 777, 757,737(all models), 707,727, as well as 767 and 747 models.
- Held three positions, all of which included responsibilities for analysis requiring computer use and programming.
- Documented processes.
PATS Aircraft, Georgetown, DE, Fuel System Project Engineer, 2004 - 2007
- $40 million C-32A Restoration project.
- Drafted the Statement of Work Boeing used for the program.
- Schedule development.
- Scope definition.
- Specification development negotiations.
- Supplier negotiations.
- Managed mechanical designers; Manufacturing Engineer, Reliability and Safety Engineer. Others; Deputy Project Engineer, Test Engineer, Electrical Lead Engineer with numerous Electrical Designers.
- Electrical work included the fuel gaging and valve control system, as well as EICAS interface.
- Structural and systems changes.
- Developed processes for dealing with suppliers for both companies as well as certification and conformity issues.
- Potable water system.
Smiths Aerospace Anaheim Hills, CA, Fuel Systems Engineer, 2002 - 2004
- Wrote 21 procurement specifications for fuel system equipment projects (pumps, valves, surge suppressor, tubing, couplings, sensors, hydraulic motor, hoses, and more).
- Aerial Refueling System (ARS).
- Performed system-level calculations, including surge pressure, flow analysis, and system layout.
- Designed and witnessed supplier tests.
- Authored the Statement of Work used for all components.
- Authored the Verification Matrix for the entire 767 Tanker project (Smiths portion).
- Fuel system certification, safety, pump design, and surge suppression issues.
Undisclosed Company, President-Owner, 1999 - 2001
- Established and operated a small startup business providing DERs and DARs to industry as a consulting engineering group, solving certification problems.
- Established and maintained a Web site, developed all HTML and ASP code.
Bechtel, Westinghouse,UNC Nuclear Industries, Engineer, 1974 -1987
- Deployed to various sites in the U.S: Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, and Texas, Washington (Fairbanks, Richland, and Grandbury) .
- Bechtel pipeline construction in Arkansas.
- Findlay Engineering College in Missouri.
- UNC contract in Washington on FFTF and N-Reactor.
- Texas Utilities, on their reactor.
Honors & Publications
- Fuel Systems DER for FAA during time at Boeing, and privately.
- FAA certification.
- Professional Engineer-P.E. (WA)
- Spanish, some reading
- Russian, some reading
- Koine Greek, some reading
- Atlas Award from Boeing, Oklahoma Site
- M.S. Theological Seminary Divinity, Nazarene, Kansas City, MO
- B.S.M.E. Mechanical Engineering, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR