- Laser material processing.
- Laser system design.
- Optical design.
- Laboratory management.
- Product characterization: New laser testing establishing performance levels.
- Laser welding process monitoring: Design, develop and install on-line monitoring production systems.
- Electronics processing systems: Design, construct and install production laser processing system for electronics manufacturing.
- Failure analysis: Review laser welding process for automotive manufacturers to determine root cause of component failures.
- Evaluate conversion of brazed assemblies to laser welding.
- Process development: Examine laser welding processes to improve product quality and reduce reject rate.
Expert Witness Experience
- Laser design patent infringement - Deposition
Undisclosed Company, President, 1995 - Present
- Consulting on laser manufacturing processes including joining of medical device components, cutting of medical device components, production of irrigation tubing and cleaning of fuel cell components.
- Laser system design for production-line serialization and custom glass marking.
- Evaluating the performance of laser cutting systems in a manufacturing environment.
Coherent, Inc., Santa Clara, CA, Staff Engineer, 2001 - 2013
- Investigated potential laser processes to determine their feasibility.
- Evaluated prototype lasers to determine their performance.
- Designed laser systems for laboratory use.
- Performed tests and wrote presentations to promote the use of lasers.
- For clients requiring process development: Investigate laser processes, design experiments to evaluate processes and products, and prepare reports of testing.
- Component designing: Specialized products for customers and manage system construction and integration.
- Laboratory planning: Design equipment, develop processing stations and lay out laboratories.
Laser Resources, Sunnyvale, CA, Owner, 1991 - 1994
- Designed laser systems and accessories, solved industrial process problems and evaluated laser markets.
- Worked with all the major types of industrial lasers including CO2, Nd:YAG and excimer.
- Responsible for the mechanical and optical design of many successful laser material processing systems ranging from fixed-beam systems to computer-controlled adaptive stages. These systems interfaced with robotic manipulators for high-production electronic manufacturing.
- Semiconductor processing study: Analyzed mechanism of debris generation during laser marking of silicon wafers, designed and ran experiments to test hypotheses and quantify results. Developed process to eliminate debris generation.
- Modeling of laser heat treatment: Evaluated laser hardening of gears for a major manufacturer of automotive equipment. Developed models to estimate process rates and gear microstructure. Outlined beam handling methods for producing uniform case depths on gear teeth.
- Laser singulation system: Established criteria for laser processing of circuit components. Designed experiment to evaluate and optimize process parameters. Designed optical and mechanical subsystems for laser processing. Constructed and installed systems for manufacturing.
- Aerospace welding development: Developed titanium welding process to make assemblies for superplastic forming and produced samples for major aerospace contractor.
- Industrial process optimization: Examined industrial laser welding process to determine sources of variation. Corrected aberrations in beam delivery systems and revised process to compensate for thermal distortion of assembly.
- Patent evaluation: Examined laser processing patent to determine possible infringement, generated report defining limits of patent coverage Suggested methods to perform process without infringing on patents.
- Investigated laser manufacturing processes in industry.
- Designed and constructed laser systems for welding and cutting.
- Developed models for laser heat treating processes.
Amada Laser Systems and Service, Inc., Buena Park, CA, Manager, Applications Lab., 1987 - 1991
- Laboratory management: Planned laboratory layout, obtained equipment, and generated procedures to set up the laser applications laboratory at Amada. Set up criteria and interviewed candidates for lab staff positions and ran lab, scheduled tests, and monitored lab effectiveness.
- Process Development: Proposed development projects, chose avenues of examination, maintained progress.
- Technical support of marketing: Wrote and presented papers discussing advances in laser material processing. Contributed material to AWS standards committee for laser processing. Set up in-house training in laser material processing fundamentals and prepared seminar on laser processing for WESTEC conference.
Spectra-Physics Corporation, San Jose, CA, Application Development Engineer, 1979 - 1987
- Application-driven input to laser research and development. Generated performance specifications for new ~laser products. Tested new lasers to establish their actual performance compared to specifications.
- Evaluated upgrades to existing lasers.
- Product management of laser accessories: Gating generator (chopper), reflective focusing optics, autofocusing cutting head, coaxial vision system and variable pattern size beam integrator.
- Laser system project management: Window spacer welder, scanning system, and automotive welder.
- International activities: Coordinated activities between U.S. and German application laboratories. Worked with customers including Daimler-Benz, Fiat, and ZF to develop applications and perfect them in production.
- Met with suppliers including Precitec and BIAS to obtain laser system components for capacitive sensing, reflective optics, and laser beam diagnostics.
- Present seminars on laser welding to engineering department of gas turbine manufacturer.
- Instructor-Laster Processing of Material courses - UCLA and UC Irvine.
Honors & Publications
- Spanish; conversation
- German; reading
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Laser Institute of America
- American Welding Society-AWS
- American Society of Metals International-ASMI
- International Society for Optics and Photonics- SPIE (Chair-Lasers for Manufacturing)
- APTICS Laser Manufacturing Overview-Presenter
- Author and Co-Author of numerous publications, presentations and educational text
- B.S. Metallurgical Engineering, Columbia University (Engineering-Applied Science), New York, NY