- Acid catalysis, silica (sol-gel) chemistry and broader areas of materials chemistry, and green chemistry.
- Catalysis using both solid acids and homogeneous catalysts.
- Sol-gel chemistry via silicate chemistry and organic inorganic hybrids.
- Sustainable Chemistry and Green Chemistry.
- Adhesives (soy, tannin and lignin based).
- Green Buildings (new insulation tannin foams).
- Design of new solvent systems especially ionic liquids.
- Fine particle technology developing coated particles for ceramics.
- Surface modification to make hydrophobic and scratch resistant surfaces.
- Controlled release materials for application in agriculture.
- Fuel cells catalyst and membrane development.
- Biomass conversion to high value products (polyols and nanocellulose).
- Rapid Market Assessment.
- Rapid Technology Assessment.
- Intellectual property with extensive skill in patent filing.
- Reviewer for the NSF, EPA, DOE on grant applications and center evaluations.
Expert Witness Experience
- Expert witness for a major chemical manufacturer, assisting external council. Interpreting scientific elements.
Undisclosed Company, Senior Research Fellow, 1989 - 2016
- Increased sales by pioneering new class of environmentally benign solid acid catalyst (Nafion® SAC), which was commercialized.
- Developed new class of highly efficient, safer superacid catalyst used in pharmaceutical industry, and many derivatives such as ionic liquids, which have been commercialized.
- Noted expert in sol-gel synthesis of materials (from hybrids of silica with carbon nanotubes, organosilicate modified perfluoropolymers to new types of fuel cell electrodes); nano-particle and coated particle technology; biomass conversion to sugars; biobased polymer synthesis (Cerenol™); and new kinds of bio-based tannin insulation foams which have been commercialized.
- Led and initiated multiple new research programs within Company and helped drive corporate initiatives.
- These programs included new acid catalysis, adhesives, ice-o-phobics, insulation foams and transformer insulators, hydrophobic easy clean surfaces, diagnostics, media for ink-jet printing, ceramic processing of coated powders, and biomass transformations.
- Mentored across company with strong interest in education and directed several student interns, Post Docs, and PhD's.
- Active in many external Green Chemistry areas as well as driving much of Company's internal green chemistry network, known as corporate and external resource in areas of sustainability.
- Developed and implemented Company's product assessment for Sustainable Growth, known as ESAT, Environmental Sustainability Assessment Tool and consultant for the Sustainability Group.
- Led commercialization team(s) for new product lines, with activities ranging from scale up, safety, regulatory compliance, product certification, to working with the marketing and sales team.
Imperial Chemical Industries, Runcorn, UK, Research Scientist, 1985 - 1989
- Developed ICI's program on high strength, high temperature superconducting ceramic wires (processing), which were used as high gain antenna for electronic applications. The technology and program was acquired.
Oxford University, Oxford, UK, Post Doctoral Fellow, 1983 - 1985
- Investigated new types of electrode surfaces for biological systems for use in biosensors (hydrogen peroxide based) while serving as Research Fellow and Tutor at Queens College.
Exxon Research, Linden, NJ, 1981 - 1983
- Developed new kinds of molybdenum sulfide complexes, which have subsequently been commercialized and used as automobile lubricants, serving as member of the heterogeneous catalysis group.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Chemical Society
- Royal Society of Chemistry
- Peer Reviews: Green Chemistry; Biomacromolecules; Chemical Communications; Langmuir; Catalysis; Catalysis Today; and Materials Chemistry
- Review Panelist. National Science Foundation and EPA Green and Sustainable Chemistry Program
- Review Panelist. National Science Foundation Washington University CENTC (catalysis)
- Presidential Green Chemistry Award Prize Committee Member
- Committee member for NSF / GCI / ANSI 355 Greener Chemicals and Processes Standard
- International Advisory Board for the J. Green Chemistry
- Summer School Presenter: Carnegie Mellon and University of Washington (Green Chemistry)
- Nanotechnology subcommittee member "Agenda 2020 program for the American Forest & Paper Association", presentation to the White House OSTI
- PhD examiner and advisor, University of York, UK; University of Aachen, GE
- Co-Chair: Gordon Research Conference, Green Chemistry, Hong Kong
- Member of International Advisory Board, 7th. International Conference of Green and Sustainable Chemistry, Japan
- Vice-Chair: Gordon Research Conference, Green Chemistry, Tuscany, Italy
- Member of International Advisory Board, 6th International Conference of Green and Sustainable Chemistry, Nottingham, UK
- "Industrial Sustainability" Session Organizer and Panel Participant, Green and Sustainable Chemistry, 9th. ACS Green Chemistry and Engineering Conference, Washington
- National Science Foundation, 1st. USA - China Green Chemistry Workshop, Participant, China
- ACS Meeting, award symposium organizer, Earle B. Barnes Award for Leadership in Chemical Research Management
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry (FRSC), UK
- Degree of Doctor of Science (DSc) for "Sustained International Contributions", Leeds, UK
- Research & Development 100 Award (R&D magazine 100, "Solid Acid Catalysis"),
- DuPont Central Research Achievement Award's (Acid Catalysis, Process safety, Patents & External Litigation)
- Electronics Letters Award (EEE Society, high gain antenna)
Publications and Patents
- 81 Published Journal Articles
- Over 3500 citations of published articles (Work has been cited in the press, journal covers, and trade journals)
- Over 30 invited presentations at international meeting
- 73 Issued United States Patents
- D.Sc. Chemistry, University of Leeds, West Yorkshire, U.K.
- Ph.D. Inorganic Chemistry, University of Leeds, West Yorkshire, U.K.
- B.S. Chemistry (with Honors), University of Leeds, West Yorkshire, U.K.