- Industrial polymers - ethylene copolymers quality assessments, market strategy, new technology introduction, resource allocation and maximization.
- Advocate for innovators, successfully maneuvering them through stage-gated milestone process to help drive projects to commercialization in the polymer market.
- Six Sigma Black Belt practices and ability to understand and drive innovation.
- Industrial research and development management of polymers and composites, contract manufacturing of surface materials and global marketing of Industrial polymers in construction transportation and industrial goods.
- Industrial polymers global markets, construction, transportation and industrial goods commodities.
- Metrics and improvements in manufacturing, research and development, including product quality, yields and new product development of polymers.
Undisclosed Company, 1997 - Present
New Business Development Manager - Industrial Biosciences, 2012 - Present
- Responsible to build New Business Strategies for Bio-actives in Personal Care Market. Identified growth strategies for transformational research programs and managed growth projects with global partners for new business over $100 million. Managed $5 million growth budget.
- Created Investment profile for an innovation pipeline worth over $200 million for bio-actives in personal care.
- Identified merger and aquision candidates and developed new business development models for new business development ventures and options.
- Organized and planned pre-negotiation strategy for commercial collaboration development programs with large consumer packaged goods companies.
Global Market Manager - Packaging and Industrial Polymers, 2007 - 2012
- Managed and led the industrial polymers within ethylene copolymers business.
- Led global markets of construction, transportation and industrial goods, collectively, a $650 million U.S. industrial polymers business comprising commodity and specialty polymer products.
- Lead the strategy development and cross-regional-functional core team for the Industrial polymer markets.
- Managed the development pipeline.
- Awarded Critical 50 Focused Growth Award for Tailored Materials Program.
Research and Development Manager - Packaging and Industrial Polymers, 2005 - 2007
- Managed the research and team at DuPont Experimental Station. Included 53 personnel including principle investigators, research technicians, patent liaisons and High Pressure Unit (HPU) personnel, the 24/7 research operations of a high pressure pilot plant.
- Held direct budget accountability and managed Intellectual property.
- Coordinated Technology resources for Modified Polymers, business portfolio.
- Managed New Idea generation and technology pipeline process for ethylene copolymers business.
- Directed research and resources for ethylene copolymers business with global market managers depending on strategic marketing plans.
- Technology lead and member of the ethylene copolymers global business team providing technology input to strategic business plans.
- Led the top line growth Six Sigma Black Belt in surfaces.
- Executed global contract manufacturing project for Zodiaq® business.
- Led Simplicity™ sourcing project from Asia Pacific for Home Depot launch.
Technical Manager, Zodiaq,2000 - 2003
- Staffed and managed from acquisition integration, Zodiaq technical group supporting manufacturing technology and new product research and development.
- Accountable for developing technical improvement metrics for manufacturing research and development, including product quality, yields and new product development.
Group Leader - Corian Experimental Station, Wilmington, DE, 1997 - 2000
Air Products & Chemicals, Inc, Allentown, PA
Senior Research Chemist, Polymer Synthesis Group, Science & Technology Center, 1994 - 1997
- Project Leader: Acrylics and vinyl ester polymerizations in supercritical and liquid CO2.
- Developed and operated supercritical CO2 reactors and phase behavior apparatus to understand polymerization parameters in Supercritical CO2 polymerizations.
- Acted as University liaison with specific strategic relationships with UNC Chapel Hill, University of Pittsburg and University of Texas for supercirical CO2 technologies.
NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton, VA, 1991 - 1994
Research Associate, Polymeric Materials Branch
- Responsible for the processing and material property characterization of NASA's Polyimide carbon fiber composites, candidates for the NASA High Speed Civil Transport Program.
- Operated and developed processing models for carbon fiber-polyimide pre-preg manufacture.
The College of William & Mary, Williamsburg, VA, Applied Sciences, Professor, 1991 - 1994
- Developed and taught graduate level classes in the Applied Science Program. Introduction to High Performance Polymer Composites.
Imperial Chemical Industries PLC Wilton, Cleveland U.K., Research Chemist, 1985 - 1991
- Synthesized engineering thermoplastics as matrix resins for carbon fiber composites.
- Invented and synthesized and scaled-up to commercialization engineering thermoplastics toughness modifiers for thermosetting epoxy resin and carbon fiber composites.
- Products commercialized for military and commercial aerospace. F22, Boeing and Airbus.
- Current business grown to over $250 million U.S. now Fiberite 977 series of carbon fiber prepreg.
Honors & Publications
- French - Writing
- Surfaces Leadership Awards for Demonstrable Results
- Critical 50 Program Award for Leadership in Tailored Materials
- Advanced Leadership Development Program
- Numerous patents in powder coatings, surfactants, acrylic-stone, resins and polymers.
- Ph.D. Chemistry, Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University, Blacksburg, VA
- B.Sc. Chemistry (Honors), The University of Essex, Colchester, England