- Mechanical design and analysis of pressure vessels and heat exchangers in the chemical and petrochemical industries.
- Fitness-for-service evaluations, design of repairs, alteration, performing rerating calculations and specifications in accordance with API-510 and NBIC for existing vessels and heat exchangers.
- Practice of gasket selection and bolted joint assembly.
- Design review of EPC (External Pressure Calculations) work for new projects.
Undisclosed Company, Senior Engineering Advisor, Present
- Asset Integrity Engineer for oil sands upgrade, plant expansion project in Alberta, Canada.
- Evaluated pressure vessels and heat exchangers damaged during shipment or construction and provided repair procedures.
- Evaluated existing pressure vessel and heat exchangers for new service.
- Provide reviews of EPC pressure vessel and tower specification for a new refinery project in Alberta Canada.
- Assisted with purchase packages for compliance with owner's specifications, ASME Code, and Alberta ABSA regulations, as well as reviews for quality gate approvals.
Refinery Inspection Engineer
- Provided minimum thickness calculations for vessels and heat exchangers to assist in determining inspection frequency and retirement date.
- Assisted in expanding and fine tuning methodology for conducting minimum thickness calculations using computer software.
Computer Software Technical Support Engineer
- Worked for a major pressure vessel and heat exchanger computer software company as a technical support engineer.
- Assisted clients with technical issues related to application of the program.
- Conducted training classes in the use of the program and ASME Code.
Minimum Design Metal Temperature (MDMT) Project
- Participated in project for MDMT screening of existing vessels to determine MDMT ratings for auto-refrigeration and hydrostatic testing for major chemical manufacturer.
Process Vessel Design Engineer
- Developed mechanical purchase specifications and checked manufacturers' data for pressure vessels designed in accordance with ASME Code Section VIII, Div. 1 & 2 and heat exchangers in accordance with ASME Code Section VIII, Div. 1 & 2 and TEMA.
- Developed process vessel project criteria, provided consultation to process engineers and coordinated and expedited vessel designs for UCC and engineering contractors.
- Implemented new technology related to mechanical design of heat exchangers for use by UCC's pressure.
Vessel Technology Group, Consultant
- Reviewed technical literature, codes, and industry practices for pertinent information to improve the mechanical design or design methods of heat exchangers.
- Resolved process vessel issues with vessel manufacturers and design engineering contractors.
Codeware, Inc., Technical Support Engineer
- Developed and presented training classes in the use of COMPRESS vessel design software.
Co-owner of a patent for a tubular reactor in the U.S. and Europe.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Member; American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) and the
- Member; American Welding Society (AWS)
- Chair; Subgroup Toughness (BPV II & BPV VIII)
- Vice Chair; Subgroup External Pressure (BPV II)
- Member; Subgroup Design (BPV VIII)
- Member; Subgroup Heat Transfer Equipment (BPV VIII)
- Member; Repair and Testing (PCC) and Special Working Group Bolted Flanged Joints (SG-D / BPV VIII)
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, South Dakota School of Mines and Technology, Rapid City, SD