- More than twenty-five years of petroleum and chemical processing experience in design, design review, analysis, check-out, mechanical integrity, development, troubleshooting, and failure analysis.
- Recognized authority in pressure vessels, piping, design and troubleshooting of double containment piping systems, expansion joints, and elevated temperature design.
- Fluid catalytic cracking, hydrofining, and delayed coking units.
- Chemical processing design methods, and code rules for severe service and other applications.
- Bulls eye heat treatments of coke drums and heat treatment of coke drum skirts.
Undisclosed Company, President-Owner, Present
- Expert Advisor working with major petroleum and energy producers: Amerada Hess, Hovensa, ExxonMobil, Valero, ConocoPhillips, Sunoco, Amoco, Lyondell, BP Oil, Praxair, BOC, Air Products, Coastal, Petrotrin, Sabic, Hydro Agri, Rhone-Poulenc, Lummus, UOP, Union Carbide, and Morrison Knudsen.
- Developed the methodology for and led the assessment of bulls eye heat treatments of coke drums and heat treatment of coke drum skirts.
- Developed new components, design methods, and code rules for severe service and other applications
- Performed design reviews, construction inspections and start-up assistance for catalytic cracking, delayed coking, chemicals, specialty chemicals, MTBE (Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether), alkylation, hydrotreating, hydrocracking, cogeneration, tankage and many other downstream units.
- Performed a wide range of analysis, design, design audits, troubleshooting, check-out, and failure analyses for piping, pressure vessels, heat exchangers, tankage, process equipment and structures. Taught short courses on ASME B31.3, Process Piping; Piping Vibration; and Double Containment Piping.
- Mechanical lead for grass roots start-ups of fluid catalytic cracking, hydrofining, and delayed coking units.
- Chairman of the ASME Post Construction Main Committee.
- Developing standards for assuring the mechanical integrity of pressure equipment that has been in service.
- Chairman of the ASME B31.3 Code Committee, Process Piping
- Vice-Chairman of the ASME Post Construction Executive Committee.
- Founding Chairman of the ASME Subcommittee on (Post Construction) Repair and Testing.
Honors & Publications
- Licensed professional engineer in sixteen states and provinces
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- ASME Fellow
- Board on Pressure Technology Codes and Standards
- ASME B31, Code for Pressure Piping, Mechanical Design Committee
- ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Subcommittee on Design, Subgroup on Elevated Temperature Design (Chair 96-02), and Subcommittee on Transport Tanks (SCXII)
- ASTM Committee F-17, Plastic Piping Systems Main Committee
- ASME Pressure Vessels and Piping Division, Design, and Analysis Committee
- Awarded the ASME Dedicated Service Award
Publications and Patents
- Over 50 publications
- Frequent speaker and chairman in technical forums
- 5 patents
- Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, Memorial University, Newfoundland, Canada
- M.S. Structural Engineering, Stanford University, Stanford, CA
- B.S. Civil Engineering, Union College, Albany, NY