- Polymer Science - Physical testing including thermal analysis of polymers, polymer performance, environmental for automotive, industrial, electronic and packaging.
- Polymer rheology - study of flow and deformation of liquids, solutions and solid polymers.
- Polymer processing - injection and extrusion molding, blow molding, vacuum and drape thermoforming,
- Coating technology - process and performance of organic and inorganic coatings with dip and flow coating. Prototyping for complex small run of parts.
- Environmental testing of coatings and substrates - especially weathering, UV sensitivity, and fatigue of polymer substrates with and without coating systems.
- Polycarbonate, polyacrylic, polystyrene, and other thermal polymer classes.
- Rigid polymer packaging design, process and innovation - PET, HDPE for food, pharmaceutics, liquor, carbonated soft drinks, and beverages. Knowledge of oxygen scavenger barriers, passive plasma coated barriers and metal lug closure technology.
- Liquid separation cationic and anionic ion-exchange resins with some membrane knowledge. Development of new resins, testing and performance as well as manufacturing of said resins.
- Development and commercialization of dielectric materials in electronic devices (i.e. SiLK™).
- Intellectual property portfolio management including patents, trademarks and trade secrets and processes to manage these same.
- Automotive polycarbonate (plastic) head lamp and glazing, (windows made from plastic), technology including, injection molding, wet and plasma coating, printing, finishing, and defroster technology. Advanced functionality (electroluminescence, antenna and many other).
- Laboratory management including Six Sigma, change control, ISO practices, training, organization, budgets and development of self-directed teams.
- Adhesive science and technology especially for silicon encapsulation, potting, sealing, adhesives and coatings for market segments including electronics, solar energy, automotive headlamp and glazing, as well as paper and plastic coatings. Release coating and pressure sensitive adhesives.
- Global research and development leadership: Integration of worldwide organizations (Asia, Europe and North America), innovation and new product development stage gates, tools, and portfolio management. Product development from innovation, project selection based on disciplined business screens and marketing data, six sigma, DFSS, manufacturing rigor and commercial launch. Product development and technology roadmap development for growth.
- Technology evaluation for M&A including Intellectual property, competitive analysis, and reverse engineering.
- Laboratory safety systems and processes. New equipment purchase, installation, new laboratory set-up and safety audits.
- Innovation and New Product Development (NPD) processes and best practices for research and development teams.
Undisclosed Company, President - CTO, 2014 - Present
- Co-Founded technical consulting firm focused in, product development and technical communication businesses. Technical communication includes case histories, product tech data sheets, promotional literature, MSDS to SDS conversion GHS and more.
- Developed and launched a new product for pet industry - Development from initial problem statement, design, 3D Printing prototypes or testing and evaluation, marketing studies, presentation to industry and commercial launch (underway).
- Marketing and technology discussions with a number of clients for new growth areas in films, coatings, thermal polymers, advanced functionalities and innovation processes.
Amcor Rigid Plastics, Manchester, MI, Sr, Director of Innovation - IP, 2012 - 2014
- Managed Innovation and IP activities for R&D organization in plastic packaging. This included managing all innovation team-based activities, safety programs, and 250 patent family intellectual property portfolio, as well as capital and expense budgets.
- Member of Amcor Ltd Innovation Leadership Team. Team strong in injection molding, blow molding and physical performance testing.
- Worked closely with business unit marketing and sales organizations to discover unmet customer needs and translate them into new innovation projects. Leveraged strategic marketing practices to identify target areas.
- Developed a collaborative innovative team culture that transitioned from individual incremental innovation to platform team based innovation.
- Developed three new proprietary innovation platforms including the first PET hot fill container with a metal lug closure - APEX-63™. It provides 36% reduced energy usage over conventional glass products and allows 30% increase in loading per truck.
- Developed foreign filing strategy to maximize IP portfolio value to cost. Resulted in meeting budget two years in a row after a series of five years of continuous increase, all without negatively impacting portfolio strength.
Momentive Performance Materials, Tokyo, Japan Global Technology Director, 2007 - 2012
- Manage global research and development activities for Engineered Materials Business Unit composed of over 50 technology personnel located in Germany, U.S. and Japan. Also had teams for limited time in China. Responsible for product development and technology support to commercial, quality and manufacturing functions. Manage team activities, safety programs, and intellectual property portfolio, as well as capital and expense budgets.
- Successfully integrated three separate technology units into one global team during two year ex-pat assignment in Asia.
- Focused product development within six growth segment markets for silicone-based materials, including encapsulation, potting, sealing, adhesives, and coatings; market segments included materials for electronics, solar energy, automotive headlamp and glazing, as well as coatings for paper and plastic. Supported application for customers to utilize these products with variety of plastic processing process.
- Re-introduced new product development processes and rigor to both technology and marketing teams, leading to 20% annual increase in sales from new product launches. Reduced number of active programs by two-thirds and improved first year sales of individual products by five x.
- Established Center of Excellence for core technologies, improving both focus and efficiency.
- Launched six key technology platforms for growth, including multigenerational product and technology plans with associated road maps.
Exatec LLC, Wixom, MI, Global Technology Manager - Product Manager, 2003 - 2007
- Led global technology team composed of Ph.D., M.S. and B.S personnel targeted in five key functions: injection molding, ink and coating technology, weathering performance, plasma coatings, and advanced functionality (antenna, defroster, light and solar control, etc.). Supported thermoforming, and vacuum forming process for prototyping glazing parts.
- Developed and managed global technology supplier network, which multiplied Exatec's effective resources by fivefold and minimized product development timelines by more than half.
- Developed multigenerational product road map to meet customer and competitive needs over the next 10 years; first three products launched on-time with strong IP position (over 30 global patent cases filed in 2005).
- Implemented company-wide green belt Six Sigma (DMAIC) training, stage-gate product development (DFSS), and change control product management (CCM).
- Converted physical testing laboratory team from hierarchical structure to flexible, self-directed workforce, resulting in improved job satisfaction and performance (e.g. lab overtime reduced to zero with throughput improved by 40%).
The Dow Chemical Company, Midland, MI
Application Development Manager, 1994 - 2003
Product Leader, Sr. Technologies, 1981 - 1987
- Technical Project Manager for global product line extension opportunities. Lead multiple teams targeting technical opportunities in new markets. Blend of innovation with project management/organization.
- Team generated eight new patent applications on three novel technologies developed in less than 12 months.
- Dow's AEM Technical Liaison with Japanese developmental partners including Hitachi Chemical and Tokyo Electron Ltd. (TEL). Leverage prior cultural and Japanese language skills on joint development projects.
- Technical Service and Development team member AEM. Primary technical contact for West Coast commercial accounts including Intel and Texas Instruments. Technical Liaison for European accounts.
- Co-invented proprietary polymer platform that continues to bring multimillion dollars in annual sales.
- Developed two novel resins sold in Japanese markets (portion of research conducted while living in Japan) - nuclear-grade resin for removal of trace (<0.1 ppb) metal removal (patented) and pharmaceutical product.
- Developed innovative (patented) pressurized sulfonation technology and implemented technology with plant team in less than nine months resulting in doubling of manufacturing capacity improvement with little capital cost.
- Co-invented of two proprietary polymer platforms (water based hydraulic fluid, viscoelastic surfactant for heat transfer applications).
- Responsible for day-to-day physical testing, equipment maintenance, equipment design, polymerizing experimental polymers. Used DSC, TGA, FTIR, DMA, tensile testers, melt flow indexer, all polymer melt processing equipment including small to production sized co-extruders, injection molding, and compound mixers.
Honors & Publications
- Post-Doctoral Position - automotive catalyst development, National Institute of Materials and Chemical Research, Ministry of International Trade and Industry (MITI), Tsukuba, Japan
- Japanese - 3 year of study, five years living in Japan and nearly 20 years with technology oversite. Conversational, writing and reading capability.
- Special Recognition Awards (SRA) at Dow: SRA for commercial announcement from IBM, for successfully leading Dow-TEL joint development program and SRA for an internal polymer science course.
- Won top Dow Business and Division level awards during: Two Michigan Division Technology Center Awards (highest award in the division), two Spectrum Awards (highest award in our business), two Special Recognition Awards, four Enterprise awards, and the Excellence in Process Engineering Award.
- Won Technologist of the year awards three years total. High performance awards on frequent basis. Obtained 3 separate promotions within 7 years of service.
Publications and Patents
- Internally authored or co-authored over 40 proprietary research reports at the Dow Chemical Company and over 20 outside publications and presentations.
- 11 granted patents and 6 applications in progress.
- Ph.D. Materials Science and Engineering - Polymer University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL
- M.S. Materials Science and Engineering - Polymer University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL
- B.S. Chemical - Physics - Saginaw Valley University, Saginaw, IL
- A.A.S Industrial Chemistry - Ferris State University, Big Rapids, MI